PDA

View Full Version : Golden / basic airbrush information

Penny220
11-26-2003, 10:13 AM
Information from Golden.

It would have been nice if I had gone there last week when we were all answering the airbrush/compressor questions. Mike Townsend has created two wonderful information sheets regarding these basic questions. The information is not commercial it simply gives all options with the pros and cons of each. The links to these pages are: http://www.goldenpaints.com/airtips.htm http://www.goldenpaints.com/airtip2.htm

Golden Fluid vs Golden airbrush. Airbrush Medium vs Airbrush Extender.

Golden fluids can be used for airbrushing and if you choose to airbrush textile this is the recommended paint. The Airbrush colors were designed for the professional illustrator hand they have the greater performance when frisketing. Because they are harder it is not recommended for use with textile. Airbrush Medium was designed for the fluids; airbrush extender was designed for use with the airbrush colors. You can use either the extender or the medium with both paints. The main difference is the hardness and if you are to be frisketing it is recommended to use the extender, it has a shorter open time and a harder finished surface.

Varnishes

The information I was given is (Mike Townsend from Golden is a member of WC and said he would be stopping by, so he can correct me if I’m wrong.) Goldens airbrush paints dry to a hard surface (more so than the fluids) you can take a finished piece, put it behind glass to protect it and be done if you like. For greater longevity, use GAC 500 (thinned with “Airbrush Transparent Extender” if need be) this is a permanent acrylic polymer that dries to a hard film and it’s purpose is to seal the pores of the painted surface. At this point you again can be done if you wish. For greatest archival purposes, UV protection and the ability to display your work without the use of glass you can varnish. For varnish product/use information http://www.goldenpaints.com/varnapp.htm You can use the MSA varnishes with UVLS or the Polymer Varnish with UVLS they both come in matte and gloss finishes. If you still have questions after reading their website Golden has an absolutely wonderful customer service and will answer any questions you may have.

Krylon Crystal Clear although commonly used (myself included) does not offer the same UV protection.

Penny

Keith Russell
11-26-2003, 11:14 AM
Penny, I don't trust the UV protection offered even by UV-resistant glass.

(The sun is rather powerful.)

Instead, I tell my buyers never to display paintings, drawings, or prints in direct sunlight.

I think the UV protection in certain varnishes, and/or glass, offers a false sense of security...

Thanks for the info from Golden, though. Appreciate it!

K

Penny220
11-26-2003, 11:35 AM
Keith, right you are! Even the paint manufactures recommend that you never display a painting in direct sunlight. Something is always better than nothing and we do the best we can. I think we should add all of the protection we can to our work because you can never trust that a well intentioned customer won't do something that is bad for the painting regardless of the instructions they are given.

Penny

BruceF
11-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Penny,
Thanks for taking the time to get this information. It's pretty interesting stuff, IMO. :)

Alan Cross
11-27-2003, 04:30 PM
Great info Penny thanks for taking the time to do this for us...
Alan :)

Caterwallin'
11-27-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks Penny!
Thanks for the great information! I'm very curious to see how well they work out for you. Please keep us posted!
Sam