PDA

View Full Version : Canvas "paper" .....

Lady Artist
09-18-2000, 11:35 PM
I just bought a tablet of "coated" canvas paper today. Wonderful grain. I'm trying it with watercolor. So far, the color seems to be holding up on the surface even though it's coated with a semi-sheen. It flows down nicely into the grain for a great texture. This was nice for the background, but I laid a thin film of white acrylic paint on the objects in my still life for some "tooth" to let the watercolor grab.
Tomorrow I'll begin on that part of the painting and can't wait to see what effects I get. It's very different from the texture of watercolor paper.
Speaking of which...I use Strathmore and Bienfang, mainly because I work so fast and do so many pictures that it would be cost prohibitive for me to purchase Arches. But I looked covetously at some single sheets of it today and drooled. Maybe for that one special painting, next time, just one sheet!

Dennis
09-20-2000, 12:09 AM
They passed around a few sheets in class the other night and I tried a quick flower painting. It's very different from w/c paper. The paint just slides around and over painting was a challenge. It was fun to try something new. BTW Cheap Joe's has some pretty good prices on Arches.

Lady Artist
09-20-2000, 12:15 AM
Dennis, you're right, it slides around. It is hard to keep it on the surface. That's why I thinned out some acrylic white and did a wash over the foreground objects. It really gives some nice "puddling" effects when it runs into the "fabric" grain.
I think it would be a great base for gouache! Almost bought myself a set of them yesterday. I think I'll take the plunge next time.
And yes, it's cheap! :-)

sassybird
09-20-2000, 05:58 PM
Years ago I used to work on a paper canvas called HyproPaper. I have not been able to find it since. It was uncoated and was wonderful with watercolor.

------------------
sass

Chickie
09-20-2000, 09:58 PM
I bought this tablet at Michael's. It's by Canson, a French company, but mfgrd. in the US. Called "Canva-Paper".

I'm really loving the results. The texture adds something to it that you don't get even with rough watercolor paper. And I'm always going for texture of some kind.