PDA

View Full Version : New Scratchart

dlynch33
11-26-2003, 12:01 AM
Hi everyone. I have started a scratchart that I thought may be interesting to share. It is an 8 x 10 on clayboard. I am out of my element in the subject matter, but the reference pic caught my heart so I had to try. I am also using tools that I have never tried on scratchart, and using an ink wash technique that is new to me also.

I would appreciate any opinions on this.

Here is the reference photo...........(from the image Library)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2003/31627-reflections_reference_photo.jpg

Here is last nights work on it. (just starting it)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2003/31627-Night_one_3hrs_for_posting.jpg

dlynch33
11-26-2003, 12:04 AM
I have managed to get about 5 1/2 more hrs in on it between today and this evening. It is progressing much faster than I thought it would. So far I am totally in love with it, but would value any opinions. Especially from any other "Scratchers" out there.

About 8 1/2hrs so far.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2003/31627-Night_two_5hrs_for_posting.jpg

lisilk
11-26-2003, 12:33 AM
Lovely Ref photo !

I don't know much about scratchboard but this looks great so far. Looking forward to watching this.

Cheers,

Li

Crias
11-26-2003, 12:36 AM
this looks ambitious! Looking great so far. I'd love to see a close up on the wood and the girl (when you get to her).

Kalibabe
11-26-2003, 03:34 AM
Good grief. This looks astounding already!

Can't wait to see it completed!
:clap:

Phranque
11-26-2003, 08:53 AM
Looking great so far. That is a great reference photo. It looks like there is a story behind it. You really like a challenge don't you?

kimo
11-26-2003, 09:13 AM
This looks beautiful so far! You are doing an awesome job on the wood. Can't wait to see more!

myorca
11-26-2003, 10:09 AM
Great Job so far!! Non fur bearing items are a challenge in this medium and you are doing wonderfuL! cant wait to see it progress.

Bob

Jakeally
11-26-2003, 01:17 PM
Wow....excellent... Wonderful reference photo and you really are doing it justice.
I am not a scratcher but Pen and Ink is very similar. You are achieving a lovely mix of tones which is most important. I have no doubt that this will be fantastic.
Watching and waiting:evil: :D

lorna12
11-26-2003, 03:33 PM
Excellent job so far!!! Wow! What a challenge covering the whole board and it looks fantastic! Looking forward to more!! I'm glad you decided to share your progress.

dlynch33
11-26-2003, 11:09 PM
Thanks everyone! I am not used to such response about my art, you guys can actually get me to blush!!:D

Didn't get a chance to work on it today at all. Maybe in the morning some, but doubtful with it being Thanksgiving.

Speaking of which, hope you all have a wonderful one!

joemajury
11-27-2003, 01:20 PM
This is looking REALLY well, I can hardly see a scratch mark anywhere, you are doing it so fine.
I will keep checking back on this and look forward to seeing your progress.

Joe
( who is always scratching these days )
;) ;)

dlynch33
11-29-2003, 01:04 PM
Here is an update. I am sorry it is taking so long to complete, but I am being particular in trying to keep the reflection looking like a reflection. It is too easy for it to blend in with the wood. The tool I am using on the reflection also adds to the time. I am using (believe it or not) an emory (sp?) board on the reflection part. It is one of those emory boards that is spongie in the middle. It is very time consuming that way, but I think I am pulling off having a different texture for the reflection areas.....which is what I was trying for. The wood was done with a combination of exacto and cheap sandpaper. (first time trying sandpaper also)
5.5 hrs on it today so far. 14hrs all together and counting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2003/31627-Third_day_5.5hrs_for_posting.jpg

myorca
11-29-2003, 01:59 PM
Long to complete????? 14 hours is just a drop in the bucket!!! hahaha It is coming along fantastic!! Will have to try the sandpaper/emory board thing down the road myself.

bob

Chiers
11-29-2003, 02:55 PM
Wow, this is beautiful. I know nothing about scratchart but i know what I like and I like this.:clap:

inkskin
11-29-2003, 08:30 PM
Ah,another scratcher in town!
This is looking just great,I can't wait to see the end result.
I love the differences in textures that you are capturing here.

lorna12
11-30-2003, 12:06 AM
This is coming along fantastically!!! You have definitely achieved the reflective look of the glass window.

I have tried the emery board and the sand paper....have you tried an eraser?? or very fine (0000) steel wool? Both of those work well, too.

Jakeally
11-30-2003, 07:00 AM
Your reflections are coming along marvelously ..... well done:clap: :clap:

dlynch33
11-30-2003, 04:54 PM
Thank you so much everyone.

I had to laugh when you said eraser lorna......cause I was looking at all mine when I was getting ready to start the reflection area. lol I couldn't find one that would remove the ink without taking 10 min worth of rubbing in a tiny area. (too impatient I guess.) I have played a tiny bit with steel wool, but not enough. When I tried it before I didn't have much success with it, I guess because I couldn't control it the way I wanted to.

LOL This may sound stupid.......but I am almost afraid to finish this piece! I have so totally surprised myself with this one so far, but now I have no idea what to do after this one. Don't really know how to explain it. Sort of like......how will I compete with this one?!

myorca
11-30-2003, 06:52 PM
You will come up with something...believe me. It seems that among us scratchers around here the bar gets raised higher and higher. Welcome to the race!!! hahaha

Bob

Crias
11-30-2003, 07:58 PM
This is looking super! I too will have to try all the tools suggested here...so far I have pretty much stuck to my exacto, but I can see the advantages of these other tools too. Thanks for sharing this piece!

I think we need our own scratchboard forum :D

lorna12
12-01-2003, 12:04 AM
Yes, it can take some rubbing with the eraser but it gives a neat effect. I also have an electric eraser that doesn't take much elbow grease... you have to be very careful with it...but it's very handy for small spots or straight lines.

You get back to work now because even though you don't want to finish it....WE want to see it!!!

Bob....you're right....the bar gets higher and higher!!

I have one almost finished that I will be posting in this forum in the next day or 2. I've been working on it for about 80 hours. (It's another portrait, that's why I didn't do a wip on it)

dlynch33
12-01-2003, 09:37 AM
Can't wait to see it lorna.

I agree that we need our own forum. Wonder if it will ever happen.

dlynch33
12-01-2003, 12:58 PM
Ok gang. I think I am finished. Took 4 more hrs. Haven't signed it yet, just in case I spot something........or your guys do. Let me know what you think.

18hrs total
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2003/31627-I_thik_I_am_finished_4hrs_for_posting.jpg

Proudhawk
12-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Hi, Dlynch33. Nice job on the Scratchboard. I've been doing them for a few years and I know what you meant when you wrote about being hesitant to finish. I frequently become anxious as I near the completion of a piece if it is going well because I know how much time and effort go into them and how easy it is for one mistake to ruin the piece. But, how rewarding it is to finish without making that mistake, huh?! Did you use a fiberglass eraser for the wood textures? Again, good job!
If you're interested in seeing another scratcher's work, check me out at WWW.proudhawk.com. Be well.

Proudhawk

Jakeally
12-01-2003, 01:28 PM
Oh! Yes....it's just wonderful. The little girl is just perfect. You have done a magnificent job with this:clap: :clap: :clap:

joemajury
12-01-2003, 02:56 PM
EXCELLENT

Joe
;) ;)

Phranque
12-01-2003, 03:15 PM
Great job! I'm very impressed.

Bertoni
12-01-2003, 03:39 PM
From a scratcher who hasn't scratched a board in quite a few years since before starting with watercolors and now acrylics...
That is one terrific piece of work there:clap: :clap: :clap:

dlynch33
12-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Thanks so much for all your replies. I am very proud of this piece.

Proudhawk, I used an exacto knife and sandpaper for the wood. I can't wait to check out your website and artwork.

I find that I am bumbling now that it is done. :( Like there was this big tah dah and now...........what. :rolleyes: I have no idea what to do next, but I am gonna start looking this evening. My brain keeps going back to the pic in the image library of that old truck parked next to the old barn, but who knows.

Thank you all so much for all your support and inspiration.

lorna12
12-01-2003, 09:17 PM
Excellent work!!! It turned out wonderful...that pretty little face peeking out through the reflection!! You have good cause to be proud!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Proudhawk.....I visited your site....I particularly liked "A Good Smoke". Very nice work!

lisilk
12-01-2003, 09:22 PM
Outstanding ! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Li

pwlp
01-21-2004, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=dlynch33]Ok gang. I think I am finished. Took 4 more hrs. Haven't signed it yet, just in case I spot something........or your guys do. Let me know what you think.

18hrs total
[IMG]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2003/31627-I_thik_I_am_finished_4hrs_for_posting.jpgQUOTE]

I just now saw your art for the 1st time.Thank you for using my photo.
I love what you did with it. The girl is my granddaughter.You made me cry it is so beautiful. Yvonne

ExpressiveAngie
01-21-2004, 08:16 PM
Loving it!
The little girl is my niece and her name is Carly. My mom took the picture at an old unused Church out *aways*. lol
Please let us know if you interested in selling this lovely work of art....
Angie

Diana Lee
02-23-2004, 02:55 PM
I haven't done a scratchboard in a very long time. I really do miss it. You have a beautiful piece there. I think people and objects are harder to do than animals and you've pulled it off nicely. It is sooo easy to overwork a piece and loose gray shades and you held back nicely. Again, good job!

Diana Lee