PDA

View Full Version : wiggley bowl

Mark Wilson
11-25-2003, 09:33 PM
i don't know what else to call it, but i made it on sunday.

crsann
11-25-2003, 09:51 PM
Hey Mark!! love your wiggly bowl
chrisann

Lori Peterson
11-25-2003, 09:59 PM
I think it looks more like a DNA dish. Very nice, whatever you call it. How have ya been, Mark? I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

craftylady
11-25-2003, 11:53 PM
Mark looking good. Those colors are eye catching.

JoyceMI
11-26-2003, 12:28 AM
Very Nice Wiggly Bowl. Looks like Party Streamers to me. Festive Looking! :)

Tink
11-26-2003, 01:10 AM
COOL! I love it, Mark! So do you spin it out or?????

rosiescreations
11-26-2003, 02:09 AM
SWEET!!:D

Mark Wilson
11-26-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Tink
COOL! I love it, Mark! So do you spin it out or?????

hi tink,
i haven't seen you at glassblowing_topics for a while. i guess you have been busy with all of your new toys!!!

making the bowl is a 2 step process. i cut 2 inch long pieces of bullseye lampworking rods, and place them on the heated cane marver plate. then i get a gather and pick up two different colors. i reheat, marver, then go to the bench and twist and pull the colors into a spiril cane. then i cut the cane into 2 inch long pieces and place them back onto the heated cane marver. then i get a 2nd gather on a blowpipe and roll the hot glass on top of the twisted canes picking them up. then i reheat, marver, then use diamond shears to cut the bottom off the bubble to stretch the colors around the end of the bubble. then i block making sure not to twist the colors any more to keep them from twisting around the bubble. then i get one more gather, block and blow. then i get a jack line and flatten the bottom of the bubble with a paddle so there is a flat base for the bowl. then i put it on a punty, crack it off the blowpipe and then reheat. i use a graphite rod to open up the bubble to the shape you see.

sometimes i spin the bowl open, sometime i use a graphite or wood stick. which method i use depends upon how symmetrical the punty is on, or the shape i am going for. with my flutter bowls i spin them out then close them down in a few places using a graphite rod. i just posted a photo of a beautiful brilliant gold flutter bowl i made last weekend at GT. check it out. it is in my photo directory.

how is your new equipment working out. any photos?

Tink
11-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Man oh man. Mark, I would LOVE to kidnap you for a weekend so I could pick your brain. LOL!

The new equipment is slow going: I'm waiting for my nat gas drop to go in before I start using the Red Max in earnest. The crucible kiln is waiting for me to hijack the 220 from the kitchen and route it to the kiln's little corner. The O2 generator kicks butt! And I just fired up the F-120 the other night for the first time, and I really liked it! The glory hole is still wrapped up and sitting in the corner. I don't think I'll need it for a while anyway.

I've watched the videos that came with the crucible kiln over and over again. Of everything, I have to say it's the crucible kiln that has me the most excited. I really see it opening up lots of new vistas for me.

StefaniBeads
11-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Love the bowl, Mark!! Thanks for sharing! :)

There has got to be a glassblowing class near me, somewhere! After the holidays, I'm going to search around.

Mark - I always admire your work, and when you share on here, it's very inspiring!

Tink - I love to see when beadmakers venture "beyond the bead" with the torch! Please post your goodies, looking forward to it! :)

BeadGlam
11-26-2003, 12:24 PM
Mark that is way freaking cool!!!!!!!!! Heather

Mark Wilson
11-26-2003, 02:31 PM
here is another piece i made last saturday using some brilliant gold Q color.

RobynT
11-26-2003, 03:31 PM
Mark..I really think you need to rename that bowl...call it Robyn's bowl...:D

I really love your work and wish I could just sit and watch sometime. It all fascinates me...thank you so much for sharing with us!!!

Tink
11-26-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Mark Wilson
here is another piece i made last saturday using some brilliant gold Q color.

Again, gorgeous! Mark, one of the "brilliant golds" from one of the companies is a color that reduces. Is this the one?

Mark Wilson
11-26-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Tink

Again, gorgeous! Mark, one of the "brilliant golds" from one of the companies is a color that reduces. Is this the one?

it is striking, not reducing

AutumnH
11-26-2003, 04:41 PM
Robyn,
You need to use your spell check. It's "Rona's bowl". You might have to add it to your puter's dictionary: r..o..n..a..

Hope that helps,

Rona