PDA

View Full Version : Mezzotint Plates

kjsspot
11-25-2003, 03:58 PM
Hey y'all. Does anyone know where to fine pre rocked mezzotint plates? Graphic Chemicals no longer has them and aquatint just doesn't have the same feel as a mezzotint. Thanks!

timelady
11-25-2003, 05:23 PM
Bummer. :( I tried a search and came up with nothing. My best idea (which I also gave about the printing papers in the other thread) would be to try a more general search for printmaking supplies and then see if any carry mezzotint plates. I agree, aquatint texture is very different from mezzotint. hope you find some!

Tina.

kjsspot
11-25-2003, 08:04 PM
Thanks for replying. I've been searching and so far have found nothing. Has anyone prepped their own before? How hard it is to do? So far I've only done aquatint but really would rather do the mezzotints.

sassybird
12-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Well, the rockers are very very expensive, so if you have never rocked a plate yourself it would not be worth the expenditure. It takes a lot of time and patiences to rock a plate, even a small plate. I was upset when Graphic Chemical stopped carrying the machine rocked plates. I have hunted for them elsewhere too, and have found none, so if you do find a source please share it with us.

Diane Cutter
12-09-2003, 04:48 PM
You might check with Takach Press. They do ball-grained litho plates. I got a couple to experiment with monoprints. The website is www.takachpress.com. They are in New Mexico.

Diane

truly0506
06-23-2006, 06:48 PM
I have rocked my own plates and have just received a rocker and a have a procedure that allows me to rock the plates a lot quicker, almost like machine-rocked plates. I am interested in getting into the business of selling pre-rocked plates and came across this forum. I wanted to find some prices that other places charge, but it sounds as though there may not be any. For those of you that have purchased them from graphic chemical, How much were they? I have a school that wanted to hire me to rock plates for them and I need to come up with a price. If all goes well I could have my own business in rocking plates and sell them to one who needs them. I can be contacted by sending me a pm (private message).

Andrea White

Jetsam
06-29-2006, 08:35 PM
The London-based Intaglio Printmaker web site still seems to list pre-rocked plates.. you can look at this link (http://www.intaglioprintmaker.com/shop/default.asp?ofs=2&search_text=&c2=326)for a price comparison.
C.

cagirlinportland
01-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Hey, FYI Graphic Chemical does still sell pre-mezzotinted plates, they aren't cheap though, so either buy a rocker for 100 bucks and rock our own in batches, or print TINY... =) or if you are rich, have at it...

:cat:

Diane Cutter
01-31-2007, 09:17 AM
Hi, Cagirl... Welcome to the Printmaking forum. We look forward to seeing more of you...

Diane

martmezz
10-19-2007, 03:07 AM
Hello. If anyone out there is still looking for pre-rocked mezzotint plates go to www.mezzotint.co.uk