PDA

View Full Version : "Polo Players" - Sketch

JeanineJ
07-20-2001, 02:10 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2001/playersketch.jpg

I figured out that if I do my preliminary sketch in 8" x 10," I can transfer to canvas 24" x 30" using a multiplier of "3"... Now this may sound elementary to some, but, it has helped me overcome my fear of "big"...
Underpainting to follow soon... I have used gesso on a commercially primed canvas to reduce tooth... My objective is to capture the action and keep this bold and loose...

Jeanine: please ensure your images are no larger than 500 pixels in width or height. I've resized this and uploaded it to wetcanvas. -- Roan

jerryW
07-20-2001, 02:23 PM
YUM!

ZOTMA
07-20-2001, 02:46 PM
I like what you have so far
I'll be tuning in for the next episode

dornberg
07-20-2001, 03:19 PM
there is horizontal rhythm of heads and arms
and diagonal rhythm of arms and legs

JeanineJ
07-20-2001, 06:55 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2001/playerwash.jpg

16" x 20" Oil 'wash' and carpenter's pencil... It's a beginning!?!

Chuck
07-20-2001, 07:37 PM
Lookin' good but. watch out that figure, space, figure, space, etc. are not too symmetrical...just a thought.

JeanineJ
07-20-2001, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
Lookin' good but. watch out that figure, space, figure, space, etc. are not too symmetrical...just a thought.

Good point... Thank you for commenting now!
I just went back to my canvas, and checked dimensions. The distance between player on viewer's left and middle player is nearly double that on right... The composition problem you point out remains, I think, owing to the heights being similar as well... I hoped to treat each player differently enough with paint to "separate" them further as outlined roughly in my sketch...
Do you think this is doomed to be boring no matter how I paint it?:confused:

TeAnne
07-21-2001, 12:49 AM
This is going to look so good painted in your style :D
I felt terrible saying what I did about your Mother and daughter one, but I reckon you would prefer to know a true feeling. :cat:

JeanineJ
07-21-2001, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by TeAnne
This is going to look so good painted in your style :D
I felt terrible saying what I did about your Mother and daughter one, but I reckon you would prefer to know a true feeling. :cat:

I admit, it isn't always easy! But, definitely worthwhile... The painting matters more than my ego! And if there is an unintentional technical problem that stands in the way of enjoying the rest of it, I NEED to know!!!

I thank all of you who care enough to speak out...

Will check M&D again next week... Today I plan to re-work Polo Players into a better arrangement... I think I can move rider on viewer's right more toward center... Will post before piling on paint...

And, PLEASE, don't hold back criticism... With a little therapy, I can handle it... lol

Luvy
07-21-2001, 12:48 PM
Can't wait to see the painting of this. Looks like it's going to be another great one *S* And after seeing your site I'm sure of it *S*

JeanineJ
07-21-2001, 03:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2001/playerwash2.jpg

Roan
07-21-2001, 05:18 PM
Jeanine:

Please ensure the images you post here are no larger than 500 pixels in width or height. I've had to resize all of these.

Thank you.

Roan

jerryW
07-21-2001, 05:49 PM
so long as you keep refering back to that majic drawing I think you'll be fine.
I was worried briefly when I saw the drawing.

Chuck
07-21-2001, 08:27 PM
Your latest canvas sketch has improved...congratulations! But, the tree tops are on the same plane as are the rider's heads, outstretched arms and hands at saddle level. These create bands across the canvas that may be problematic (or can positively function as “rhythm”). You are correct to address these problems now. I usually try to create a composition the brings a viewer in and around the canvas. Remember, this is only one opinion and, in art, ALL rules are meant to be broken.

JeanineJ
07-21-2001, 11:23 PM
Roan: Sorry for large size... not sure how that happened or how to avoid.. Will investigate... Thank you for correcting.

Jerry: I never sketched on canvas so much before applying paint! All this is an attempt to be "spontaneous" when the brushes start flying on Monday in the very spirit of original sketch on paper...

Chuck: I intentionally defined some of those treetops to get feedback... I may have to rearrange nature a bit! Two of the arms will be on the same plane parallel to saddles... I will search for the rythmn like the very gate of the ponies...

Thank you all for much needed help...

Next post on this will be under new topic - probably Monday evening. :rolleyes:

TeAnne
07-22-2001, 03:36 AM
*whew* what a relief :D
I just know this new one is working, and i like seeing you triangle marks too.

steppinoutoftheboat
07-22-2001, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by JeanineJ
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2001/playerwash2.jpg
Jeanine, Have you thought to extend the arm of the player on left of composition outside the boundary of this work? The right side flows outside the perimeter and is not restrained by the end of the canvas. Just a thought, I think this will be a great piece!!!

JeanineJ
07-22-2001, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by steppinoutoftheboat

Jeanine, Have you thought to extend the arm of the player on left of composition outside the boundary of this work? The right side flows outside the perimeter and is not restrained by the end of the canvas. Just a thought, I think this will be a great piece!!!

Great comment! I have thought about this... And the design is intentional for 2 reasons:
1.) As you pointed out, the right side fades off the canvas, I want to treat the left side differently.
2.) The figure on the left is Peter Bryant, famous owner of Greenwich Polo Club... I want all of him in this as the anchor, founder, prime-mover, etc....

FYI: #2 is his #2 man - important mirroring of arm positions, and the opponent will fade almost completely into background...

I am grappling with the trees at the moment... I want to overcome the "same plane" problem Chuck pointed out, while
a.) maintaining the sense of height - riders floating above the crowd, and
b.) areas of light and dark to provide contrast/lost edges around helmets...

I keep going back to my original sketch on paper... That is what am still going for...

All of this "pre-thinking/planning" is difficult, but I can see how it will save me lots of time and frustration later!

JeanineJ
07-22-2001, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by TeAnne
*whew* what a relief :D
I just know this new one is working, and i like seeing you triangle marks too.

Thanking... I need a good dose of courage now to add real paint and cover my "tracks"!

By the way, Roan, I am reading Jilly Cooper's book POLO!!! WOW! Sex, lies, and polo ponies! Very rich indeed... Thank you for recommending... It will surely enter the "subtext" of my painting.