PDA

View Full Version : a week's worth...

sundiver
11-24-2003, 08:48 PM
None of these can go onto the Weekly Sketch thread, since they are all over one hour. But I thought I might as well put them all in one thread. All are oil pastel.
1) from a photo of the area near our cottage- 8x10. Remind me never to do a painting in the livingroom at night under low light. It's the second time I used the wrong yellow- garish and ghastly- and then had to try to cover it up.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2003/6393-downtowardjoesbay.jpg
2) now my WDE entry, 5x7 I picked the same image as Kat. Some perspective irregularities here.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2003/6393-labradorharbour.jpg
The next two are plein airs done at the same lake on two different days, in opposite directions. Both are 8x10. The second day I froze my buns because I was in the wind, although both days it was 5 degrees above freezing. Cross-posted in Plein Air
3)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2003/6393-rockwoodpknearbeachNov22.jpg
4)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2003/6393-rkwdparkfisherlakes.jpg
Thanks for looking!

bnoonan
11-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Wendy these are superb. I think my favorite was the second one until I saw the third and then the fourth. The 2nd one is so different for your style and yet I truly love the vivid colors/lights/darks - excellent stuff.

Good for you painting so much - and done plein aire? Wow - you really have a knack at working in the cold weather and capturing what you see. Keep posting more and mor - I love them all.

Barb (makes me homesick for new england)

Kathryn Wilson
11-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Wendy: I love all of them, but my fav is the buildings (wonder why - :) ). I could not tell you had problems with the yellow - so you did a good job covering up.

Looking at them again - I like the 3rd one for the fact that it is so painterly and looks like the old masters - dark and brooding.

Plein aire in the cold - you are dedicated!!

doe
11-24-2003, 10:32 PM
I really love all of these. You're really producing some wonderful landscapes with your op's! Having trouble picking a favorite, maybe #3, but #4 is so sunny, however the charm of #2 is captivating (the perspective isn't important for this painting since the lack of perspective adds to the whimsy and charm of it IMHO) and #1 has a certain glow to it. They're all great!

Mikki Petersen
11-25-2003, 02:10 AM
What a great week's output! They are all so rich and lovely, but I have to admit I like the third one the best. It has such great depth and vibrancy. You are really on a roll!

Dark_Shades
11-25-2003, 08:35 AM
they are all lovely Wendy..... love the effect of the sky with the red roof's....... and think the deep blue of the water reflection is wonderful

Dyin
11-25-2003, 09:52 AM
These are all great....have found that flourescents make you see things yellow...not good! I love the last two best and part of that is knowing it's the same place at different viewpoints...would make an interesting series...different views and times of year for the same subject. I admire you for going out there in those temps, tho it goes to prove artists are totally insane....
:D :evil:
You really are pumping them out...4 a week to my once a month! and I keep seeing better and better from you...thanks for sharing!

Artistammy
11-26-2003, 08:36 AM
These are beautiful! And so fast too! It's taken me weeks to get a landscape I'm happy with. lol

Craig Houghton
11-26-2003, 11:42 AM
Oh wow! These are incredible plein air paintings! I'm particuarly drawn to the depth in the first, the abstract forms of the buildings, the mood in the third, and the clarity you managed to find among the branches and the grasses in the last.

Great work!!

What's your current plein air count? I know you were on twenty something last I checked.

Well done!

-Craig

Mo.
11-27-2003, 07:35 PM
WOWEEE!!! :clap::clap: Wendy, these are absolutely gobsmacking delicious!
I love them all, my favourite ~~~ not sure, it's a toss up between 1 and 4 , although I love 3 too, the colour of the water is so gorgeous, okay all time fav has to be # 1 ~~~ how far off your target are you now?

Mo.:)

sundiver
11-28-2003, 09:39 AM
Thanks for your comments, everyone!:) There won't be much to show for this past week, too busy. :(

#1 is gone, sold, along with a Weekly Sketch from months ago.
My plein air-without-the-e count is now at 30. I don't know how many more I can fit in before the weather takes over, but plein airs are as addicting as the pastels are. I highly recommend giving tham a try- even if it's just 30-minute quickies for the Weekly Sketch thread.