GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Elton John's Rocket Man
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: A3
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a sketch taken from live images of Elton John - I don't like his look here, but I am pleased with my rendering of it.

It has mixed with the pencil watered down acrylic paint.

Enjoy

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
No specific questions, feel free to vent away.

jerryW
11-24-2003, 09:58 AM
pulled in three directions:
1. tell it like it is drawing.
2. find and exploit elegant underlying artistic motifs.
3. package it like a product.

well I will rate this accordingly
for 1. you get 85% - this is high but could go higher, yet I would not and I am glad you did not bother. Some find their art in collecting and organizing photographic light - this is a good devotion, but it is a difficult mode of expression, and you must.

for 2. this has to do with evoking much with little you get 85% I think you are strong at finding underlying cues which provide quick resonance with the source image. It is difficult to combine with #1 above, yet some evidence of this remains. This is a terrific and expressive direction to proceed with.

for 3. you get 60%, I am downgrading this becasue you did not treat the image equally accross the paper, prefering to create elton john rather than a good drawing worth every square inch. 60% becasue I know some people go for this sor t of thing. I prefer the full use of paper surface - some might argue that you did.

those who know me here know I never rate or apply %'ges.
I am trying to separate your motives and channell you into #2 where I think you will have the most to offer and will be happiest.

Manukarose
11-24-2003, 04:24 PM
Hi Jerry, Thanks for that constructive comment, I will definitely spend time mulling it over. I try with my heart to give my audience something different than that of the camera lens.

I love people and spend much time drawing them.

Thanks again - Manukarose