PDA

View Full Version : A dinasour asking for critique!!

sunny
07-19-2001, 09:02 PM
I am new to the internet, lots to learn. I am bringing my image files from a Mac environment to the PC, :confused:
Maybe I am on the right track. Maybe the dinasour can move into this world?

I need a critique on this painting, it is an oil on masonite.
Thank you for any interest.

simon levenson
07-19-2001, 09:23 PM
sunny this is beautiful,
keep the mac thing going (or at least the feeling of it)
The pears to me are talking to each other...
gently pushing each other...
a dialoge which is hard
and the background while beautiful and skilled is not overdone
it also makes the whole point of painting on masonite
the background looks like snake skin to me
nice contrast and colors
what kind of dino are you

Simon

Fagan
07-19-2001, 09:36 PM
This is fantastic! Warm rich colors and very well rendered. Welcome to the WetCanvas....*SMILE*

dornberg
07-19-2001, 10:22 PM
very nice combination of colors
good use of dark light

YLCIA
07-19-2001, 11:05 PM
Sunny, this is just gorgeous!!!!!!!WOW!:clap: :clap:

Les
07-19-2001, 11:28 PM
Very nice...an old world feel to it. Is it done with underglazes?...

very warm
also welcome !
Les

caro
07-20-2001, 12:35 AM
very nice!
welcome to Wetcanvas :)
greetings, caro

everetto
07-20-2001, 02:14 AM
This is an absolutely amazing accomplishment in texture. The only thing I'm concerned about is that the supposed focal point becomes obsolete to me when viewing the spectacular fabric!!

wendee
07-20-2001, 04:59 AM
WOW :eek: Fantastic....:D :D

jerryW
07-20-2001, 10:22 AM
no amateur aspects about this, and your tinyhead is exquisite.

how large did you say it was?

looking forward to more of these treats.

keep shining.

Ladysue
07-20-2001, 10:31 AM
What a wonderful fabric! And you rendered it perfectly! PLease tell us more about it, the technique, the size...everything.

I'm still a junior but I'm going to risk one tiny little comment:o I think the pear on the left (my left that is) could be anchored a little. It seems to float a tiny bit.

but I really enjoy this painting. I love cooking and any painting with food strikes a cord for me.

;)

Dave Carter
07-20-2001, 10:47 AM
Not much help are we? This work is complete in every way and all there is to discuss is the placement (get it up in art-agent.com) and the price ($500.00 US+)!!!!!!!!!!!

sunny
07-20-2001, 12:31 PM
Thank you for everyones comments. the piece is an 8x10. I paint from life, starting with an underpainting of burnt umber & olive green. I draw the image with the paint after I fill the whole board with color. I allow that to dry. Then slowly the glazes are painted in, with each layer allowed to dry in between.

it is a tedious way to paint, But it brings wonderful results in the end. I do have trouble with my edges, that is why the pear on the left appears to be floating a little, in the original it doesn't look as bad as the scan.

I wanted to paint the cloth, it is a shimmering, illuminating cloth, so I too was wondering did it take away from the focus of the pears. It was difficult to find something to add to the cloth in the still life. Maybe I should have just painted the cloth!!!:p

Has anyone here tryed this old technique of glazing? What are your thoughts?

I am planning on putting more of my work on artistnation, But the dinasour in me is slow in this computer process. It sure is an exciting extension of the creative process. so I am going to stick to it... Once again thank you for your comments, You are a great group, look forward to spending more time with you. Sunny

ZOTMA
07-20-2001, 03:00 PM
that cloth is incredible. glad you go through 'tedium' with your work to accomplish such worth while results.
would like to see more ( wrangle that mac into submission dinosour!)

Dark_Shades
12-24-2002, 11:15 AM
all your oil works are exquisite !!! :clap:

anthony mauve
12-24-2002, 11:46 AM
Very nice work--but for one thing I find troubling that no one's mentioned so it may be something peculiar to my vision--actually the effect makes me dizzy: the piece seems to be sliding off the support to the right. Thus, the pears are about to tumble off the table to the floor; though the pear on the left seems to defy gravity by floating in air!

I may be overly sensitized to horizontals since I take so many photographs and in this medium a skewed horizon line can destroy an otherwise good pic.

regards,
anthony

Rose Queen
12-24-2002, 02:35 PM
This has a wonderful 'Old Master' feel to it, sunny; I'm so glad you posted it!

If you'll do a search on 'verdaccio,' you'll find a number of discussions from the past on people who use underpainting in the way that you do.

I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future!

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

Paintonbrush
12-26-2002, 03:24 PM
the cloth is so great....thanks for sharing your method.

mattlart
12-26-2002, 03:59 PM
Yep,...it's almost all been said about this little gem!
And, yes,..it's exquisite;your glazing technique obviously flawless.
LOL,...I can understand the desire to depict every nuance,..detail,and fibrous bit of luster in that fabric........

I wonder what would happen if you were to lay a rich burnt umber..(or other dark) glaze over the background;..softening and deepening the mystery back there. Could that "bring out" those pears,..and give them some of the attention that they deserve?:)
Lovely work;..and I too look forward to seeing more..Cheers,-S

giniaad
12-26-2002, 04:12 PM
make that two very enthusiastic thumbs up!
(to coin a phrase)
or as many as you like...
definately look forward to putting
more sunny in my day
from your future posts

(I too appreciate glazings...but work in acrylics)

sunny
12-27-2002, 03:54 PM
Dark Shades, Anthony, Rose, Matt and giniaad,
Thanks for all of the advice and comments...they will keep me inspired..:)

Otto Wulff
12-28-2002, 07:47 PM
Outstanding work, very nice color and detail.
Five stars!:clap:
Otto Wulff

Happylobster
12-28-2002, 08:33 PM
Beautiful, professional quality work. Post more and keep them coming. :clap:

danderas
12-28-2002, 10:56 PM
beautiful, beautiful work, reminds me of the old masters. The depth and the saturation of color is just fantastic, I also love the composition, not much more I can say.

Linda Ciallelo
12-29-2002, 03:34 PM
This is very nice indeed. I remember you from the still life section. What is the size of this peice? I love the detail, even as I am trying to do "less" detail in my own work. I may be a lost cause.:D

I see you are from North east PA. , I live in Binghamton NY. My mothers family is from Narrowsburg and East Stroudsburg. Are you close to any of those?

lstr8r
12-29-2002, 07:58 PM
This is a rich, gorgeous painting and I don't have anything to say about it but "yum". What I can offer, however, is perhaps any computer help you might require. I use a Mac for graphics everyday and if you ever need advice regarding scanning or color correction, etc., I'd be happy to help if I can. Again, beautiful painting!