PDA

View Full Version : Weekly challenge 11/23 - 11/30

snootyvixen
11-23-2003, 06:11 PM
This is a photo of the Northern Lights Over Portage River Valley, Alaska.

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to make a bead inspired by this picture!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2003/14836-northern_lights.jpeg

This message will self-destruct in 10 seconds ...............

Vikki

AutumnH
11-23-2003, 07:00 PM
Oh, good one!

Rona

ValorieCox
11-23-2003, 07:32 PM
Hmm, I think I can meet this challenge! ...7...6....

Val

Trishki
11-23-2003, 07:51 PM
...5.... I'll try...

Linnea
11-23-2003, 08:01 PM
this will be my first challange also
:D

fikefire
11-23-2003, 10:05 PM
just lined up my colors ...4...3......

Good one Vikki!

Beads-Me!
11-23-2003, 11:09 PM
........2....... I already made 2 beads this afternoon in those colors without even knowing about the challenge!! I'll post them later! Gorgeous picture and colors!! Right up my alley!! Whoo-hoo!!

:cool: Nancy

snootyvixen
11-23-2003, 11:12 PM
OK - I lied about the self-destruction! BWAHAHAHA!!!!

Thanks all - so far - for accepting this challenge!

Vikki

saucy
11-24-2003, 12:04 AM
Geez, that makes me miss Alaska more. However, when the lights are that bright it's usually so cold...something could drop off. :D

AutumnH
11-24-2003, 02:08 AM
Ooo, I get to put up the first picture.
so. much. pressure.

I also have a frit version that didn't turn out as well. It must have been really bad because the camera refused to take any pictures of it, and no matter how many batteries I tried it wouldn't turn on. :D

NLC
11-24-2003, 02:15 AM
I was thinking of trying this one... But Autumn, I don't think I can top that!! :D Beautiful!
Nikki

beachbeads
11-24-2003, 03:55 AM
Oh Autumn, that is pretty. Here's one of my first beads in my new studio since my nightmare move...dark grey base with midnight blue and violet frit and frit stringers, slightly reduced. Thanks for the challenge Vikki, I was lost for inspiration. Sheila
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2003/16202-chal_(Cropped).jpg

snootyvixen
11-24-2003, 11:50 AM
Just beautiful, Autumn & Sheila! It'll be interesting too see how diverse the results will be - I think everyone sees something different in the picture!

I don't get to the studio until tomorrow for my attempt, and the color cartridge is gone in my printer - guess I have to try to recreate it with the kids' crayolas? LOL

Vikki

Zonnestraaltje
11-24-2003, 01:26 PM
Okay...I'm usually too chicken to get in on these challenges, but this one caught my eye.

Here is my interpretation of the beautiful northern lights, fresh from the fiber blankets... front and back of a little black heart.

tehale
11-24-2003, 11:20 PM
You folks simply blow me away....lovely beadage!!!

I've had a rough couple of weeks at work, a sickly computer, and a host of other aggravations. I don't get to post often due to so much other stuff going on, but I lurk at work (shhhh!) and consider every one of you an inspiration! :clap:

I'm kind of out of my league posting in a challenge, but here goes!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2003/27737-Aurora.jpg

Zonnestraaltje
11-24-2003, 11:34 PM
Oooh, Terry, I think you actually did the best at capturing the light from within! Great effect...did you use frit??? It's positively beautiful. It really looks like the glow in the picture! :D

tehale
11-24-2003, 11:40 PM
Thanks, Rachel!

Actually, I was playing around with making twisties and made a one using transparent teal, purple and aqua. I let it get a little too hot when putting it on the white base and it all kind of glopped together. It wasn't all that pretty until I decided to try encasing it, but now I really like it.

Jacinthe
11-25-2003, 06:15 AM
Here is my contribution to this week's challenge!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2003/20424-mon_chr3.jpg

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

Lara
11-25-2003, 01:46 PM
Sarah:

Your bead is really cool, looks like you got the trees, mountains and sky in there.

Great challange.

Lara

snootyvixen
11-25-2003, 06:38 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I love all the different interpretations! Everyone's work is fantastic.

I have a couple soaking and I'll post them as soon as I clean the bead poop out of them!

Vikki

dillingham
11-25-2003, 10:04 PM
Vikki your picture inspired me. I have never participated in one of the weekly challenges so here is my first.

Dilly
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2003/28977-Mvc-002s.jpg

snootyvixen
11-25-2003, 10:38 PM
OK - I lied! I soaked them, cleaned out the bead poop, then decided that I really do need to anneal them before I take photos LOL

Dilly - I love your bead! It looks like the hole is the horizon and the bottom is a reflection of the top, as if you were looking in through the two ivory stripes - beautiful! (did you know it's tradition for participants to send their beads to the person who posted the challenge?)

Sarah - yours looks positively glacial! Love it!

Terri - I agree with Rachel - it's radiant!

Rachel - beautiful colors on a perfectly shaped heart!

Sheila - I love organic - you captured the Aurora Borealis beautifully!

Autumn, your bead is beautiful! I love the shimmer in your bead. And I'm passing the hat to you for the next challenge!

(Just kidding about the challenge tradition ;) )

Vikki

AutumnH
11-26-2003, 12:57 AM
Wow! Such fabulous beads. I now feel like I have to try some more.

Shiela, your swirls seem so much like the northern lights I expect them to move.

Sarah, I'm in awe, as usual with your work!

Terri, such a glow *drool*

Dilly, I agree with Vikki it looks like reflection on water, fabulous!

Rachel, those hearts beg to be fondled. Such colors and shapes!

Vikki--what?! Ack! Ok, I have a few days to come up with something amazing (and look at past challenges so I don't duplicate one!)

Let's see what my muse and imagination can come up with, shall we?

Rona

snootyvixen
11-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Finally! I can post a pic to my challenge LOL.....

This is the first bead I made, it's a Lauscha purple base, covered with various shades of pinks, blues and purples - there's actually even some copper green in there somewhere. It's a crappy photo - please excuse!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2003/14836-b031126_northernlights.jpg

Then, I made another bead with some Moretti purple and dichro, encased in a light rose pink color (not sure of the "real" name!). It's the first bead I've made with dichro that hasn't cracked! Anyhoo, when I finished, I thought how much it also looked like the reference photo. What do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2003/14836-b031126_dichro.jpg

Vikki

Linnea
11-26-2003, 08:00 PM
I won't have any torch time untill friday,, hope that isn't too late
:rolleyes:

AutumnH
11-26-2003, 09:26 PM
Vikki,

Beautiful! Those are both great! I think the dichro one could benefit from closer inspection. Can I come to your house to take a look and for bicone lessons? Mine end up looking like a bumpy blob with pointy, sharp edges. I never even get as far as adding colors.

Rona

dillingham
11-26-2003, 09:31 PM
I might have to go back to the torch this weekend and make another one. I really like the first bead it really captures the colors of your photo and the sparkle from the dichro in your other bead is great, glad it didn't break.

Dilly

snootyvixen
11-26-2003, 11:22 PM
Never too late, Cathie!

And thanks, Rona & Dilly!

Rona, you're welcome to come for bicone lessons, but I'd have to get someone in to teach the class! LOL!

Vikki

dillingham
11-30-2003, 12:35 AM
Ok, I have to admit Vikki your photo really inspired me. I sat at the torch today making Christams beads, I thought I would gag on Red, White and Green. All the time I kept thinking of the Northern Lights, so when I was done making that xmas stuff I made another bead. I think I like this one better, it really show's more of the colors.

Dilly
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2003/28977-Mvc-026f.jpg

snootyvixen
11-30-2003, 01:04 AM
Dilly - I loved the first one, but I like this one even better!

Vikki

saucy
11-30-2003, 01:13 AM
Dilly - I love that bead! What did you do to get those effects. Wonderful. Bravo! More applause! :clap: :clap: :clap:

dillingham
11-30-2003, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys, The base cylinder is Cobalt, which is my very favorite color:D wrapped in silver foil, then cover the silver foil in pale transparent pink, when the center is built up add cobalt on the ends for the proper shape (bicone), where the two colors meet on each end I use silvered ivory to make the window frame, and then over the transparent pink I swiped, transparent dark aqua, teals and lavenders, then if you are working on a wanna-be-torch like me you pull out a cold drink, set back and relax and melt the glass for eternity, and finally I smash the whole darn thing.

I asked Santa, and anybody who would listen for a upgraded torch (look at how politically correct I can be). I can arm wrestle my 18 yr old and win, and he has triple varsity letters on his jacket and works out 3 times a week.:D

Go forth and melt glass!!!

Dilly

Fyrsmith
11-30-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi Everybody,
I am a newbie to WC! and just discovered the weekly challenge yesterday. I love a challenge and this one is great for me, since I grew up in Anchorage, about 50 miles from where that picture was taken.

Rona, your bead captures the shimmer of aurora. Is it foil or dichro?

Terry, your bead looks like what happens when aurora is directly overhead, you see shifting clouds of color.

Vikki, another bead with wonderfull shimmer
Dilly, yours are gorgeous!

Here is my entry, I hope the files aren't to big. They were made yesterday in response to the challenge.

Fyrsmith
11-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Darn! picture didn't attach. Here it is.
-Don-

Fyrsmith
11-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Here is another entry. This is an ornament color/pattern that I have been making for several years, already named "aurora"
-Don-

dillingham
11-30-2003, 06:35 PM
Wow, Don those are awesome, of course being able to actually live there probably is like cheating:D :D No kidding they are all beautiful and welcome to WC too!!!!

Dilly

AutumnH
11-30-2003, 06:42 PM
Don,
I did foil over a white cylinder, then a spiral of ink blue, followed by dabs of different transparents. We occasionally get to see the Northern Lights here in Wisconsin, but it's been awhile.

Yours are absolutely drool-worthy, and the ornament is beautiful!

Rona

snootyvixen
11-30-2003, 06:47 PM
Beautiful beads and ornament, Don! I'd love to see some more of your work .......

Rona - haven't looked yet to see if you've posted your challenge :evil grin:

Vikki

Edited to say, I clicked on your links Don - you have some beautiful pieces! I especiallly love the oil candles.