PDA

View Full Version : Arches Papers (?)

cassandra
09-16-2000, 02:29 PM
You can start painting on the Arches blocks without preparing it in any way.

To save money you could consider buying loose sheets. You can cut, or fold and tear the paper into different sizes. The cost per square foot is considerably less if you buy in packages as opposed to single sheets.
cassandra

kg7er
09-16-2000, 04:38 PM
The only preparation I can think of is maybe sponging the paper off to remove some of the sizing before painting. This will also produce some softer edges if you start painting with the paper still slightly damp. I usually just start painting on the bone-dry paper, myself.

I've tried Strathmore, Fabriano, Lana, Canson, Winsor & Newton, and a few other brands of paper. For me, dArches is the best paper I've used.

I did read somewhere once that dArches wasn't a good choice if you use masking fluid, though. Supposedly the masking fluid is likely to take up some of the paper with it when you rub it off. I don't use masking fluid, so I don't know this for a fact. You could test on a corner of the block/sheet.

------------------
Ron Marshall (http://bsg-arts.com/jump.htm)

sassybird
09-16-2000, 06:00 PM
I just bought a roll of Arches watercolor paper. It ran me $72, but it is 53"x10yrds, and I think is a great bargin. I like the Arches the best of all the papers I have used for what I do. I do use some masking, but haven't had the problem with the paper coming up that Ron mentioned. I do take it up as soon as the area is dry from what ever I have painted though. I think leaving it on too long is what causes some of that problem.

------------------
sass

catjoe
09-16-2000, 06:10 PM
I have always wanted to try Arches too, since every other article or author I read seems to recommend it. I was thrilled to find a three sheet packet of it in my local hobby store this summer. The sheets are 140 lb cold-pressed and are 16 x 20 in size. Perhaps the local hobby or craft store nearest you could special order this for you. It cost me 10.95 (Sale Price) It was well worth it. I love the way my paints react to the paper. I don't know if it will help but here is the sku number from the back. 030674109297 Happy painting! :>)

kg7er
09-16-2000, 06:22 PM
catjoe: I saw the 16x20" pack you're talking about also, at Hobby Lobby in Port Arthur, TX. I didn't buy it because, if memory serves me correctly (and sometimes it doesn't), the paper didn't have the same look as my regular dArches blocks. The surface looked different or something, smoother. Can't remember for sure, though.

------------------
Ron Marshall (http://bsg-arts.com/jump.htm)

learning to paint
09-17-2000, 12:39 AM
I've been using (inexpensive) Strathmore blocks, but I'd like to graduate to Arches blocks.

Does painting on these blocks require any sort of preparation? Or can I just start painting?

Also, I'm thinking about moving up from 15x20 to 18x24 (gee, those Arches blocks are expensive!). Is this size so large as to become cumbersome?

ameliajordan
09-18-2000, 02:01 PM
Arches blocks may be a bit pricy but they sure are convient for field work. I reserve mine for outings so they last a good while.

learning to paint
09-18-2000, 10:02 PM
Thanks to all. Once again, the people of Wet Canvas have come through with quick, on-target answers. I love this place!

Lynda Mortensen
09-19-2000, 04:58 PM
You're in for a real treat if you do graduate from Strathmore to Arches - Arches is a superb paper! Enjoy...