PDA

View Full Version : Entrance Exam 101

Wayne Gaudon
11-23-2003, 01:00 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-23-2003/5946_entrancewc.jpg

Larger Verison is here: (http://home.cogeco.ca/~wgaudon/easel.htm)

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Entrance Exam 101
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 30 x 10 Inches
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
using more than the knife and allowing the undergarment to show ..

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
??

Rabbit Twilight
11-23-2003, 01:04 PM
I love that sky Wayne! This is great, I want to kayak down that river.

mfoxmelanson
11-23-2003, 01:06 PM
This has an intimate feeling.

mcknight
11-23-2003, 01:13 PM
Nice painting. How many of these do you do in a day? You must have unlimited supply of paint, canvases and energy.

artbabe21
11-23-2003, 03:24 PM
terrific format Wayne...nice to see this size...it certainly suits this painting...well done

Paintonbrush
11-23-2003, 06:09 PM
Look at you go! Great big fits you very well.
I bet this is just inspiring in person.

Wayne Gaudon
11-23-2003, 07:18 PM
Thanks all ..

Dave
.. I try to do a painting a day and sometimes that can be two and some days none. The paint runs out at about every 2 months or so as I buy large volumes to get a 40% discount. I use a large amout of paint and waste almost as much because I experiment without regard to size or paint.
The energy is good because it's something I love. In the middle of it all I have to work, renovate, and do all the little household crap .. LOL .. but I'm not complaining .. wish I could paint for a living but a lot of people have it a lot worse .. at least I have a job and a good one at that .

later,

TScottDove
11-23-2003, 07:48 PM
PANAVISION!
almost like being there

woodguy
11-23-2003, 11:18 PM
Whatever you were testing for entrance to....you are definately in! A+. This format suits you well! Jim

bocote
11-24-2003, 03:56 AM
aces all the way. Another great work. I really like the past couple long mural like paintings you have done. It really shows your skill with compositions and ability to imagine what you want to show.

colors a touch monochromatic here, but I think its fine.

have fun.

Wayne Gaudon
11-24-2003, 08:24 AM
thanks .. not sure if it's the format that is carrying this or just the great reference material that artbars sent me in the line of a few photos.

I seem to drift in and out of painterly to painterly realism and on day I hate the one that isn't the latest one. :D

pero lane
11-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Awesome sky!! Really nice one Wayne!:clap:

Dana Design
11-24-2003, 02:19 PM
Oh, gee! This is just gorgeous!

A painting a day? And you still have a job to go to?

(How does he do that?!) :confused:
Dana

coulter
11-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Great trees :D :evil: :p
I too think this format suits you. one small nit, I think your river curves up a little as it disapears on the viewer right.....

Mark

Wayne Gaudon
11-24-2003, 02:38 PM
thanks all ..

Mark, I think the curl you see is just a rock ledge if we are looking at the same object. (left of the river) .. the river is fairly straight.

later,
the tree painter .. :rolleyes:

mcknight
11-24-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Wayne Gaudon
Thanks all ..

Dave
.. I try to do a painting a day and sometimes that can be two and some days none. The paint runs out at about every 2 months or so as I buy large volumes to get a 40% discount. I use a large amout of paint and waste almost as much because I experiment without regard to size or paint.
The energy is good because it's something I love. In the middle of it all I have to work, renovate, and do all the little household crap .. LOL .. but I'm not complaining .. wish I could paint for a living but a lot of people have it a lot worse .. at least I have a job and a good one at that .

later,

How much paint do you have to buy to get a 40% discount? Do you get discounts on canvases as well? I hate all the household crap too. There would be a disaster if I had my way as far as that goes. Yeah, I wish I could paint for a living (or even during non-sleeping hours) too but I've got a family to support.

Wayne Gaudon
11-24-2003, 02:58 PM
Hi Dave .. Over $400.00 worth

http://home.interlog.com/~colourco/products.htm

they have different discounts for different dollar values. Of course they only sell their own brand name paint. I won't recommend it as everyone expects different qualities out of their paint and what I use someone else will hate .. vice versa. they will mail you a catalogue with their prices and discount structure. they deliver for $8.00 delivery fee. I am in Georgetown and they are in Scarborough ..

later,

mcknight
11-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Hi Dave .. Over $400.00 worth

http://home.interlog.com/~colourco/products.htm

they have different discounts for different dollar values. Of course they only sell their own brand name paint. I won't recommend it as everyone expects different qualities out of their paint and what I use someone else will hate .. vice versa. they will mail you a catalogue with their prices and discount structure. they deliver for $8.00 delivery fee. I am in Georgetown and they are in Scarborough ..

later,

Thanks for that link - I'll have to check it out. How do you find the quality of their material vs other brands you've tried? Do you know if they sell water-mixable oils? Do you get your canvases from them too?

Wayne Gaudon
11-24-2003, 04:03 PM
Dave .. I don't buy canvas but you can from them .. I use Duron which I have professionally cut for me at a place in Mississauga .. the last order of board cost me a little over 200.00 and to buy the same amount of canvas on stretched boards (equal cuts) would have been over 3000.00 .. I don't mind doing a little sanding and gesso for that kind of savings and I prefer painting on board over canvas.

I have only used Winton and Rembrandt as I've only been at this for less than 2 years. Their paint is less stiff than Winton but stiffer than Rembrandt .. the color is good but if I could afford it I would change over to Rembrandt or some other manfacture who has a softer paint. However, in the GTA there are not all that many choices like in the US and it's not worth it to buy out of country as you pay exchange, shipping, and duty on top of everything. If someone can prove me wrong on this one then jmp right in there.
To get the paint to the consistency I like which is soft butter or mayo, I blend my paint with walnut oil. The only way to know for yourself would be to buy 4 tubes .. 3 primary colors and a white and give it some testing. They are a professional paint and I think they can hold their own. I buy 150 ml tubes because smaller ones are just a waste for me.

Gilberte
11-24-2003, 04:11 PM
Thanks all ..

Dave

later,

How many hours in your day Wayne :confused: :D ?
And what's more, painting so fast, your paintings never get dirty or muddy like mine would do if I painted that quick :crying:
Congratulations on your last one !

Wayne Gaudon
11-24-2003, 04:32 PM
thank you Gilberte ..

I'm up at 4:30 Am as I start work at 5:30 .. I get home at 2:30 Pm so I can most times get one done in a few hours and then cook dinner for my wife and I as she gets home around 5:30 or 6:00 .. then she does the clean up and if I have any gas in the tank I can do another and then cleanup and spend an hour with my wife before I have to retire .. usually try to hit the hay by 10 at the latest as 4:30 sure rolls around fast.

Of course at least one day a week I just vege as I'm too exhausted to do anything else. LOL .. Right now I am applying gesso to a few boards as I have this monster painting that I need to get down .. not monster big but moster coloring .. should be fab if I can pull it off .. I'll do it on a 20 x 30 board so hopefully I can have the board ready for after dinner and I will have to paint fast because tonight there is a hockey game on and I'm such a die hard leaf fan I just have to watch them all .. least till I fall asleep in the lazyboy :D

:D .. they don't have time to get dirty :evil: .. overwork is one of the biggest mud makes that I know of .. least for me anyway.

Gilberte
11-24-2003, 05:17 PM
My goodness Wayne ........ what kind of vitamins . . . :D ???????