PDA

View Full Version : Marion St.

Joi
11-23-2003, 02:37 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-23-2003/15254_marionstt.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-23-2003/15254_marionst.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-23-2003/15254_marionstdet.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Marion St.
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I usually save my acrylics for when I need to loosen up and get away from my tighter oil paintings. Trying a few new things here and sticking with some old themes of mine.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything?

pipicacassosso
11-23-2003, 11:39 AM
Take a banal, perhaps even ugly looking view and make poetry out of it. Yes, you managed to pull it off nicely. You managed to paint your own emotions through an intersection with a traffic light. Isn't that what true art is all about??

jerryW
11-23-2003, 11:49 AM
not here
not there

everywhere.

pero lane
11-23-2003, 11:51 AM
Nicely done!!:clap:

dornberg
11-23-2003, 01:08 PM
i like the application of
color and
shape to
reallife

mcknight
11-23-2003, 01:11 PM
I like the simplicity and the line design.

mfoxmelanson
11-23-2003, 01:28 PM
This is the kind of painting I want hanging on my wall. Great job.
Lots of tension on those wires.

M.

capricorne
11-23-2003, 04:35 PM
I, like this
Jan

Paintonbrush
11-23-2003, 06:19 PM
nice follow through for the eye.
I would walk through this in peace.
nice work

Wayne Gaudon
11-23-2003, 07:02 PM
always a treat when I open your threads and this is no exception .. very nice.

artinoils
11-23-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by mfoxmelanson
This is the kind of painting I want hanging on my wall.

M.

Very well done! Love your color and the compostion holds my interest.

woodguy
11-23-2003, 11:28 PM
Joi, I agree....your color harmony and composition are very dynamic! I really enjoy this.....I can also see the impact if it were larger. Jim

Joi
11-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the responses!

pipicacassosso> I only want to show others the poetry I see in these scenes already, to open their eyes to the beauty of the everyday. Thanks for the compliments :D

jerryW> Hmmm. I don't think I can figure your meaning behind that one. ;)

pero lane> Thank you!

dornberg> Thank you. I think I have the most fun when abstracting the real into barely recognizable color-shapes. It is like my memory...

mcknight> I was originally afraid of being too simple, but I think it works for this, I'm glad I didn't push it too far. Thanks :)

mfoxmelanson> Always good when someone says they would like a painting on their wall! :D

capricorne> Pleased you like!

Paintonbrush> Thank you. I am reminded of the chilly bike ride the day I took the reference photos for this. Brr.

Wayne Gaudon> I'm glad I didn't disapoint you! ;)

artinoils> I was a bit worried about the composition, and relieved that it seems to work. I live for color.

woodguy> I would like to work larger with this subject matter. Hopefully I will be able to break out the big canvases before too long.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate your input!

coulter
11-24-2003, 02:33 PM
I always love looking at your paintings, they never disappoint!

Mark

Joi
11-25-2003, 01:40 PM
Mark, I'm flattered :D

jerryW
11-25-2003, 04:16 PM
not romantic about any particularity
romantic about totality

Stephen Brealey
11-25-2003, 08:41 PM
I really like the muted colours in this. it reminds me of your painting 'Florida traffic' that I love so much.

Don't you find acrylics stricter than oils, though? I like oils because of the time I get to play with them. With acrylics it's a race against drying time!

Joi
11-26-2003, 03:14 PM
jerryW> :D

Sabreman> Thank you!
Due to the quick drying times of acrylic I paint faster and looser, it frees me up-- I'm forced to be quick. Also if I need to go over something it only takes a few minutes for the acrylic to be dried enough to paint over without being muddy, it takes longer for oils to do that. I definantly play with my oils too, just in a different way. I wouldn't give either up :)

djstar
11-26-2003, 10:55 PM
What I like about your work is that no matter what you paint, I have a memory of it.
Not a revelation, a familiar warm complete part of me and my life and experience.
Not sure how you see the world so clearly through my eyes, but you put it DOWN right from my gut.

Oh, love this one too.
dj*

xvallarta
11-28-2003, 05:56 PM
This is a good start. The perspective seems about right but the painting needs to have the color/tones punched up a bit.

I'd start with the stop light. The stop light looks like it is out of order...no light...just dull red. I'd get it to look right and then use it as a key to the remainder of the painting.

The darks need to be darkend the lights need to be lightened. Look at the curb. The concrete needs to be shaded down to a dark where it joins the street. The street needs to be shaded more...lightened in the distance...darkened in the foreground.

The walkway.....again shaded...and the painted lines shaded as well.

Then on to the buildings.....find the angle of incident light....is it backlight....front light...side light...and then shade the buildings and their components to comply. In the backround the shading will be lighter...in the foreground darker....I am assuming you do not have front lighting. Try to find a subject. Make it stand out. Is it the stop light? The street? The far distant scene? Paint the painting so that it stands out.

Should there be action....a car...a person walking...a dog running across the street...a bum sitting on the curb....a protestor with a sign....if so woudl that then be the subject?

I would rework the painting and if you do I think you will be surprised at how it will quickly improve.

myles

djstar
11-28-2003, 06:40 PM
...well, I guess that is why we all have opinions.

The light you talk about is very arizona. JUST today, look out and see if your colors are as punchy, myles.
BUT I saw days and days of this type of light in the misty east coast.

Hi, myles... long time no see! ;)
dj*

stephanf
11-28-2003, 11:07 PM
too much blue...needs alot of greys and maybe some purples

Joi
12-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Sorry for such a delayed response. I've been away from the computer due to traveling.

djstar> Thanks for your comments. I want my paintings to remind me of something, even better if they remind others of something ;)

xvallarta> Thank you for taking the time to make some suggestions for me. I think I will try to go for some of them on this painting, but will chew on the rest and keep them in mind for future similar scenes. I think I've gotten to the point where I'd rather start a new painting than make too many changes since this was just an exercise in loosening up a bit.

stephanf> Not a fan of all that blue? It was a blue day for me.

Thanks again!

shirleyq
12-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by pipicacassosso
Take a banal, perhaps even ugly looking view and make poetry out of it. Yes, you managed to pull it off nicely. You managed to paint your own emotions through an intersection with a traffic light. Isn't that what true art is all about??

DITTO:clap:

Dima
12-01-2003, 05:39 PM
Very nice; like it alot.

Dick

wolvenp
12-01-2003, 10:12 PM
I like to paint scenes like this also. Overall, I see good work, but that BIG vacant area in lower left needs something! As suggested, maybe someone coming toward the viewer, moving from left of picture to right, and, as I said, toward us. Or, maybe a car making a left turn accross the intersection. Also, the biggest building on the right is nicely simplified, something that is necessary in cityscapes, but it looks a little too pale to me. The cars are nicely drawn, but for all of them to be red seems unlikely.

Joi
12-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Shirley Quaid> Thanks :D

Dima> Glad you like it! :)

wolvenp> I knew my composition was risky with that big span of empty road in the lower left. I have trouble trying to convince myself to put something there. I will think about your suggestions.
Also, the cars in the distance aren't all red, my camera made the breaklight color spread a bit for some reason---it is more clear in person.
I checked out your work, very inspiring! For some reason it has taken me a while to find other artists interested in similar subject matter, so looking through your work was delightful :D