PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep the focus?

MicheleO
11-22-2003, 06:30 PM
Hello All... I always have considered myself an artist since basically the time I learned how to say the word as a child. I went to art school etc... Now, I am out of school 12 years and have a great career.... just not in the art world. My career definately eats up most of my time, and I try to find those days and moments to practice my art... Because I am only truly happy when creating..
I recently just found this forum and I am really re-inspired, but I would love to hear how people motivate themselves, and from artists who took the leap to full-time art..
Thanks for any insight you may pass on to me...

judithj
11-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Hi MicheleO

I have 2 ways to focus - one is to have goals for my art and the other is to schedule art time and protect it by making it the most important priority for that time.

Hope this helps, Judith

Keith Russell
11-23-2003, 12:14 AM
Goals are essential.

Get involved in your local artists' organization; they probably have an annual member show.

I also have started submitting my work to national competitions; hoping eventually to be able to quit my 'day job'.

Having deadlines, upcoming events, and getting work ready for upcoming shows, is a huge help with motivation.

Good luck,

K

Kalibabe
11-23-2003, 05:18 AM
Have to say that most of my inspiration comes from this place. If I am having a hard time, I browse the projects. There are some brilliant ideas there that can really stretch you. It also encourages me to try things I ahve never done before without fear of being ridiculed. I signed up for a pastels on in abstracts today. never touched pastels before....

I also take huge amounts of inspiration from nature, reading, all around me. I think that's the thing, you get inspiration from everywhere.

I read a descriptive passage, see it in my mind and paint it.

I pick up a stone, and see a possibility in it, and make something from it...

MicheleO
11-23-2003, 09:35 AM
Thank you Keith, Judith and Kali...
I appreciate your thoughts and ideas. I have certainly found WC to be an inspiration already.. I think I definately will look into organizations and contests as well.. Thank you

pampe
11-25-2003, 04:37 PM
I also have to credit WC!

I was in between jobs...wondering and found WC!. Set up a business plan and went for it

I agree with Keith....you must have goals and must be willing to work hard

It is not "a living" yet....but I have NEVER been happier

Lorijo
11-25-2003, 09:04 PM
WC is a wonderful help and just making yourself start is another. Tell yourself if you aren't enjoying yourself after 10 minutes you can stop. Don't worry about making the perfect piece of art, just the doing is enough not the outcome. If the outcome is nice too, well, thats the icing on the cake. Lorijo