PDA

View Full Version : Watercolor on canvas

justliss
09-17-2000, 08:05 PM
Has anyone experiences with painting watercolor on canvas....prepared with gesso?... Please tell me???

Lady Artist
09-18-2000, 12:17 AM
I haven't tried it, but what have you got to lose? If you've got the canvas, give it a try! If it doesn't please you, just wash it off.
I wonder if the paint might "bead" off? I do know that you can thin down acrylics and use them on canvas like watercolors. However, once there, you won't be able to "lift" them off.
You raise an interesting experimental idea here! If you do try it, let us know how it turns out.

sassybird
09-18-2000, 01:06 AM
I have used watercolor as an underpainting on canvas before. I had no trouble with them beading. What I did was layer on my acrylics and then sand down areas to allow the watercolor underneath to show through. Gives some interesting effects.

------------------
sass

ameliajordan
09-18-2000, 10:42 AM
Aquanet is having a discussion on gessoing canvas for watercolors. Drop by and you might pick up some ideas.

LDianeJohnson
09-18-2000, 01:01 PM
If you are used to working on paper, primed canvas will give you a different feel and effects. The greatest difference is that paper is very absorbant and can receive a build-up of paint. Depending on the texture of your canvas (smooth, medium or rough) will also make a difference in your painting. It could be very interesting. If you like a more opaque appearance, use gouache along with the watercolor. Just test first be certain the paint will not release or crack from the canvas' surface.

Please let us know the result of your work!

Diane

------------------
LDianeJohnson.com (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com)