PDA

View Full Version : The Visitation

SDavy
07-19-2001, 11:09 AM
:cool:
This is a new work that felt "channeled" It just flowed out, and I am wondering what everyone thinks. SDoes it work as a spiritual vision painting? It was fun to do, anyway.

TeAnne
07-19-2001, 11:34 AM
Not a spiritual vision painting for me, it reminds me of a storm goddess :) And I love the colours.

SDavy
07-19-2001, 11:38 AM
Yes- in fact originally she was going to have lightning bolts heading toward
the viewer, but this just happened-
I also think she might be heading into the sun on purpose, and the person
kneeling is pulling her back (unsuccessfully).
That's how it is when it just happens. Thanks for the comment! Glad you like the colors!

jheinrich
07-19-2001, 12:02 PM
what if I'm ambivalent? you didn't give me a choice in the poll lol :D

seriously, I don't like 'spiritual vision' paintings (in general) but I wouldn't call this one that if I hadn't seen you call it that.

This doesn't seem finished, to me, though ... mostly in the lower figure, especially in the hands.

If you in a future painting were to want to add more drama to the scene, I would suggest lowering the horizon line. Right now you have it dividing the page exactly in half, which is (in general) a compositional no-no.

The black outline is distracting to me, too, but I'm a bugger for that, I realize it was probably your intention ... I just always wish for a more interesting way to create contrast.

So, is this watercolor? how big? It's fun to just let it all hang out from time to time, eh?

j*

SDavy
07-19-2001, 12:10 PM
I'm not happy with the black either- or the horizo, and may redo it, but it was one of those very quick flow things- so I let it be. It's not like my usual work, either, which is why I wanted feedback. Thanks for what you said- IF I try it again, without the stream of conciousness- I will take all you have said into consideration.It's 11 x 14, incidentally, so a bit is missing due scanner.

everetto
07-19-2001, 06:05 PM
I personally find it refreshing to see bold, intuitive works like this. Keep in mind though, that this "stream of consciousness" style is always done with some control (decision making) whether it seems that way at the time or not. So, I think it would be great if you were to try to further develope this style. A few artists you might look into are Gustave Moreau and William Blake.

Les
07-19-2001, 06:19 PM
You mentioned that this came quickly. It is a wonderful concept for a "theme" painting.

I personally saw Christ being very angry. But someone else could see something else. So it is wise as an artist not to "suggest" what it can or can not be. I often have been going for a certain image in my paintings only to hear people comment differently as to what they saw in my painting.

I might of been striving for something entirely different than what was seen. I think that is the fun side of art myself. I always am surprised at how people see my art. And I learn a lot also.So I have learned to not suggest anything about what I was trying to do. Then I sit back and listen to comments. It is fun and sometimes amusing :)

Keep up the fun !

Les

jerryW
07-19-2001, 07:35 PM
the spirit is seeking for fabulism.

look no further than the grains of sand
at your feet or
your own reflection.

this is the miracle

SDavy
07-19-2001, 07:47 PM
:p
I Love the word fabulism! You've all had really interesting and thought provoking
things to say. Thank you. Yes, William Blake is the guy-and though I like his work, I didn't expect this one to be this way. I have been trying to "free up" my way of looking, seeing, translating, and that is what this has been about. I agree that different people see different things, and that's what makes this forum so terrific.
I put up something I did today- I hope you will take a look- it's also a departure for me.
Stephanie

Mich451
07-20-2001, 03:42 PM
This is comparable to a freewrite piece in writing. A process where stuff just comes spewing from within without internal editing. I like the fact that you did it and posted it. Very brave to bare your rawness.

I can't say I dislike or like it in this context, as it has no meaning to me nor is it supposed to.

You know better than anyone what it means to you if you study it carefully, and what your inner self was trying to get out. Don't start getting formal and trying to critique it. Rules don't apply to this type of work. It came from within...(sounds like a sci-fi movie)