PDA

View Full Version : SLEEPY CHILD- 10 X 12 pastel

dollardays
07-19-2001, 10:33 AM
I'm almost finished with this. It started out as a quick sketch to determine values for a painting and turned into a three hour drawing.

New method for me: impasto with no blending. Comments, suggestions always welcome! :) Nora

Chuck
07-19-2001, 11:00 AM
Lookin' good! Could be scan or could be me...but, I would like to see some stronger darks.

TeAnne
07-19-2001, 11:01 AM
Absolutely beautiful. WOW http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2001/flash.gif

dollardays
07-19-2001, 01:11 PM
Chuck: Where would you add darks? It was so dark to begin with it took forever to lighten up. Anyway- the darkest colors are the shadows behind her head and also in the hair and they are pretty dark- ultramarine blue with brt umber. Before I lightened the color I hated it. I think the lighter colors help when you're doing kids and I try never to use black ever unless the person has black hair.

Teanne: Thank you- it was so fun to do! Love to draw, hate to paint! ;)

Nora

Chuck
07-19-2001, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by dollardays
Chuck: Where would you add darks? It was so dark to begin with it took forever to lighten up. Anyway- the darkest colors are the shadows behind her head and also in the hair and they are pretty dark- ultramarine blue with brt umber. Before I lightened the color I hated it. I think the lighter colors help when you're doing kids and I try never to use black ever unless the person has black hair.
Nora...Your “tiny head” has effective darks...hope that helps. I would not presume to tell you where to put specific "darks" but it appears to me that your value range is simply too close...kid or no kid. Yes, lighter colors "work" very well.

YLCIA
07-19-2001, 03:10 PM
I love it!!it is so precious. the colors are wonderful to me...

Les
07-19-2001, 06:27 PM
I really liek this pastel

It is a high keyed painting so the values are high keyd. I belive it workd well for this.

Look at a lot od impressionistic paintings and the dark values are there , jut in a high key. Which is what they wanted to do as a means of getting away from what was the more darker valued paintings then.

Nice work !.

Les
07-19-2001, 06:30 PM
errrg must of been a "sleepy child" myself when posting ! lol !
sorry for errors

les

dollardays
07-21-2001, 11:08 PM
Thank you , Les and YLCIA, for your kind comments. I don't know much about impressionism, Les, but thanks for explaining (in better detail than I could) what I was trying to do with this!

nora

Nathan Reed
07-22-2001, 01:34 AM
This is a wonderful gem. Wonderful colors and great detail with style.

I do see that a few minor things with the values. Do you mind if I post an edited version of your drawing?

dollardays
07-22-2001, 05:13 PM
Hi Nathan,

Please go ahead with the rework if you like - that's why I post the stuff here- to try and pick up tips and improve! As I said, it's a sketch for a painting and better values can only improve the final project! :)

Thanks,

Nora

Nathan Reed
07-24-2001, 04:20 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2001/drawing.JPG

This just shows a darkened value of the eyes and the nostrils. I'm sure you would do a much better job in reality. When I zoomed in on your drawing I noticed awesome detail and workmanship. I really like your original, this is just a suggestion:)

dollardays
07-24-2001, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Nathan. The original photo was pretty dark and I might have lightened it too much.

Here's a close-up of the eyes now that I'm done-the only thing I really did was add a hint of highlight. I'll keep the nostrils in mind when I do the painting. I think this photo is a little closer in color to the actual.

The great thing about this method is all those tiny marks (that you cannot help but see in this close-up) don't show up unless you get within two feet of the picture. The further away you stand- the better and more natural it actually looks. Kind of impressionistic.

Nathan Reed
07-28-2001, 12:57 AM
Nora,
This is great... If you are going to paint this one, it will be wonderful. I am looking forward to seeing it.

Impressionism may just be my favorite style to view at this point... you really have a handle on it.

Nathan

Victor
07-28-2001, 07:50 AM
This is a lovely portrait and very well done. As it happens, I'm viewing it on my laptop and as any laptopper out there will know, the further back you tilt the screen, the darker the images on it will get so I can view this portrait as a light image or a dark image and I find that the darker it looks, the better it gets as long as I don't tilt back too far and make it too dark.
Please excuse my babbling and accept the fact that this is a great portrait

Vic.......:clap:

dollardays
07-28-2001, 01:43 PM
I can view this portrait as a light image or a dark image and I find that the darker it looks, the better it gets as long as I don't tilt back too far and make it too dark.

That's clear as mud, Vic! :D Just kidding. Thank you for your kind words. I also really love the way this turned out and can't wait to start on the painting. (My studio is having renovations right now and I am stuck in the dining room for the moment.) Nora

ayzia
07-28-2001, 02:32 PM
hi nora,
she's a cutie. great job!