PDA

View Full Version : Probably asked before, but why...

Lady Artist
09-12-2000, 09:12 PM
do you paint? I'm just getting to know the people here and I'm curious about what motivates you to create.
Me? I can't imagine my life without making art. I just happens. I can't control it. I love it! It's the most natural thing in the world to me. It's my insides showing in paint.

catjoe
09-13-2000, 11:41 AM
I love to watercolor and feel it sets something in my spirit free each time I set aside time to develop it. Whether I succeed at what I wish to portray or if I get nothing accomplished but dabbling a little, something in me soars when I see the colors mingling on the paper and the white of the paper shining through giving them a sort of energy that can't be duplicated easily in other mediums. Keep setting your spirit free; I think there is an artist in each of us that just needs a little nurturing to be released.

Lady Artist
09-13-2000, 01:31 PM
catjoe, I think we're kindred spirits! :-)

Lynda Mortensen
09-14-2000, 12:19 AM
I don't know - there's no logical reason why I should put myself through such frustration time and time again http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Apart from that I find it very relaxing and if accompanied by a glass of red wine, quite soporific. Therefore I can often be found slumped over a wet brush, snoring gently....

Lady Artist
09-14-2000, 01:08 PM
Good answers! Good answers! Especially like the idea of red wine. Might it be the same cheap one I drink? Lambrusco?

'Course it tends to blur my concentration a bit! But does it matter if it's making us smile?

LOL!

VictoriaS
09-15-2000, 12:45 AM
1. I can't get by on my looks anymore.

2. I suddenly HAD to paint. There had never been an artistic bone in my body, except a pretty good eye for design and color, but I had this sudden need. Not sure why. I have a vague idea, but won't bore you with my self-analysis here.

3. It's a great reason to have a glass of red wine -- or two!

sassybird
09-16-2000, 06:22 PM
Well, I don't drink red wine.....lol

I have always painted. It is just a part of me that I won't deny, and I was encouraged to deny it time and time again while growing up and even to this day. I have said this before on this forum and I will repeat myself here. My art is not what I do. It is who I am.

------------------
sass

Ruth
09-16-2000, 08:23 PM
I don't remember it, but my mother told me that at age 2, I would sit up late at night drawing pictures after everyone else went to bed. It's been a lifetime obsession. I got discouraged and quit for a while, had to get a real job to support my own kids. But I couldn't really quit. It was a need, an urge, a drive, a necessity. Finally I quit my job and now I'm a full-time artist and muralist, fully self-supporting with my art work. What a blessing, to go to work knowing I'm about to participate in some magic!

I was painting in the park the other day and a little girl came up and said "Are you an ARTIST??!! I want to be an artist!" Her mother said she's known since she was 2. I think we're born with it, whatever "it" is; some of us realize it sooner than others, but if it's there in you, you belong to it.

Ruth

Lady Artist
09-16-2000, 09:17 PM
I'm relating to each one of you! Sassybird, you said it "It's who I am"!
I, too, remember being very small and asking for paper and pencils whenever we went visiting. A new box of crayons was a gift beyond words.
I could no more NOT make art than NOT breathe.
And, yes, what a joy to be able to "work" at what I love, as well, and provide income for my husband and myself. It's hard to live within certain perimeters of a very tight budget at present because of medical and educational bills, but I'd rather eat peanut butter sandwiches than "work" at any other job than the one I have.
I know I am blessed with this talent. I have suffered many losses in my life, but this has sustained me through the pain. Without it, I don't know how I would have coped. It not only gives me joy, it gives me strength and identity, hope, pride (the good kind, I hope), friends, fulfillment....and more!