GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Ian's Profile
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12X16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Not much has changed since my last post of this. Touched up a few things, doing my best not to overwork anything.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Finished?

jocelynsart
11-22-2003, 09:20 AM
This is fantastic! There is not much I can say negatively personally. I love the shapes and the style. The colours are very 40's in feel. This is just a really successful portrait! The only thing I think is nto up to par with the rest of it is the dark, flat looking iris in the eye.
I see you are north of TO. I guess you have been to the AGO. This painting immediately made me think of the painting in the start of the Canadian section. There is a painting by a Can. artist whose name I cannot recall. He was also the chairman or something like that, of Ont. College of Art, years and years ago. The colours and the style remind me slightly of his painting of the man working on the airplane parts. it was painted in the war era and this has that feel too.
A very fine portrait!
Joss

pero lane
11-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Well done...I especially like the hallway in the background. Very cute little guy Dad!:)

Wayne Gaudon
11-22-2003, 12:13 PM
I love these .. they are great and this is no exception.

artbabe21
11-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Great expression! It does have a 40's feel to it...the shapes are really compelling! Great one Dave!

mfoxmelanson
11-22-2003, 06:59 PM
I love the lines of color on his face and neck. This has really turned out very well! Bravo!!!

M.

artinoils
11-22-2003, 07:19 PM
Wonderful finish! What I like most is the way you handled the subject. The colors are wonderful and the composition too.
Only suggestion,imo, the tip of the nose is a bit too pointed would shave a smidgen to round. Also would add some warm where the nostril meets the face and carry it into the upper round of the nostril.

giniaad
11-22-2003, 09:22 PM
extremely successful portrait
no matter what you do else..or not...

(joc)agree about the nose...it is a touch too pointy
(artinoils)not exactly sure, seems an asthetic choice ...susan does make very good choices, though...gotta love her!
I would (imho)
add a touch of highlight to the hair
ever so slightly...
(in which ever way you see fit)
to match the value of highlight already in the rest

this is truly outstanding!!!!

mcknight
11-23-2003, 10:40 AM
jocelyn - Thanks a lot! I've been admiring your work for a while now so I'm very happy to get your feedback on this. I've only been to the AGO once but I desparately want to get down there again soon. Next time I'm there, I'll keep a look out for that.

pat, wayne & artbab21- thanks!

mfoxmelanson - I was trying to use fairly distinct bands of colour but make each play off each other. Thanks for commenting.

artinoils - You're absolutely right about the nose. It's funny how what should be obvious to me is missed until someone points this out. Thanks.

gin - Thanks for your comments! Good point about the hair - I'll put that in too.

painter1960
11-23-2003, 10:51 AM
Wonderful composition and color. I am an amatuer artist, so take this with a grain of salt, but the eye doesn't look quite right to me. Can't put my finger on just why.....perhaps too bold. It seems as though it needs to be lightened a bit with some highlights to depict moisture/color variance?? Perhpas it's just me. Beautiful painting nonetheless