GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: wip: Ingres study
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 6X8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I started this study a couple hours ago - plan to continue later. I don't want to go too much further but I want to see if I can get some of the cools in the skin.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything?

artbabe21
11-21-2003, 07:39 PM
I like where you are going with this...her hand seems a little too large for the rest, but I don't have a reference photo.

You ought to join us in the oil forum for the MOM project--painting a Master of the Month for the next year...the paintings chosen are in the sticky thread at the top.

pracht
11-21-2003, 11:18 PM
Love the eyes! Fingers are great, but the lower part of the hand needs some work.

I look forward to seeing this one evolve.

naive1
11-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Great beginning. Be careful with scale relationships of the two eyes, and the curvature/centering of the lips in relationship to the central axis through the head vertically.

mcknight
11-22-2003, 02:12 AM
artbabe - Yeah, lots of things are out of proportion with the original. I started this spontaneously and I'm not good at translating proportions when working this way. I'll have to check out this MOM project. I've been doing these sorts of studies lately so it's a nice fit.

pracht - Thanks for your comments. The hand bugs me too...I did a bit of work but it still looks off (mind you, the face is ever more off).

naive1 - Thank you and welcome to Wetcanvas. You made good points - I hope I've addressed them with my update.

I put in some more time in the last hour and a half. After looking at the original again, I realize I'm way off...that's always the case with these studies.

naive1
11-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Hi. You're right about the hand. I teach figure drawing, and one of the things to remember is that if you put the base of her palm near the wrist to the bottom of the chin (yes, this is an exercise of the imagination) and stretch the fingers out, the end of the middle finger should reach the middle of her forehead. I don't know if I explained that very well, but sometimes it helps.

mcknight
11-23-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by naive1
Hi. You're right about the hand. I teach figure drawing, and one of the things to remember is that if you put the base of her palm near the wrist to the bottom of the chin (yes, this is an exercise of the imagination) and stretch the fingers out, the end of the middle finger should reach the middle of her forehead. I don't know if I explained that very well, but sometimes it helps.

Thanks for the tip on the proportions! This is a very useful little rule. I could use a whole collection of these (there must be a place where I can find a list of these). I look forward to seeing your work here.

artbabe21
11-23-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by naive1
if you put the base of her palm near the wrist to the bottom of the chin (yes, this is an exercise of the imagination) and stretch the fingers out, the end of the middle finger should reach the middle of her forehead.

yep...exactly! it worked that way on me...thanks for this little diddy..........now the list, hand it over...lol