PDA

View Full Version : First colour

campsart
07-18-2001, 11:25 PM
Initial colour. A long way to go. Will work out volume, value range and minor detail corrections as I go. A couple others suggested I take out the neck wrinkles entirely and subdue the lip's edges. Will go to the easel as soon as I'm done posting here and take care of it!

I really love how people are kind enough in here to take the time and give me the suggestions I need to create a better painting. I so appreciate it. I'm open to any and all ideas. I only hope I'm capable enough to follow all input ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2001/k-10WC6.jpg

David
www.home.earthlink.net/~campsart

Ceu
07-18-2001, 11:32 PM
I like it the way it is, I think the wrinkles fits her and her mouth is perfect, maybe the hair needs to have more volume so not to give her a flat head witch I see there for some reason.:clap:

Ceu
07-18-2001, 11:33 PM
oh yeah , i'm a contrast person I love vivid colours so maybe her dress should be something bright. that's it for me

campsart
07-19-2001, 12:01 AM
Hi Ceu...

This is just a little colour I've layed in over a grey underpainting. The volume of hair will be worked out as well as the necessary flesh tones. The grey of the shawl is the underpainting. I haven't applied any colour over that yet. Thanks for your comments.

David

everetto
07-19-2001, 12:14 AM
Will you be darkening the background as well? I think that would help pull the figure forward , particularly important around the face, which by the way is wonderful! Perfect symmetry.

ArtyHelen
07-19-2001, 08:10 AM
Get rid of the neck creases??!!! You can't do that! That would be so unnatural, as well as unnecessary! I think you would lose some of this painting's glamour by softening the lip line, too.

This is beautiful already, David, and I'm really looking forward to watching your progress with it!

Helen

jerryW
07-19-2001, 08:31 AM
I like how the upper right area is almost the same color as the model's flesh, there is a push pull there that can make or break this painting however you finish it.

dollardays
07-19-2001, 11:06 AM
I would leave the wrinkles there! She's not Barbie- she has flesh! The forehead seems a little warm- but maybe it's in shadow? Proportions are great. Shoulder is just right- softly blended and I really love the highlight that runs from shoulder to neck!

Keep us posted! Great stuff!! :clap: Nora

jheinrich
07-19-2001, 11:48 AM
technically this is fine, but it looks to me like it was painted from a 'glamour shots photo'- a professional portrait photographer, if you haven't heard of them ...'s'ok, but I prefer something more candid.

Can't wait to see the colors you choose from here on out, the dress and the background are in prickly positions ...

j*

ZOTMA
07-19-2001, 04:11 PM
always interesting to see these progressions. I'd keep those lines if they're there (IRL), keeps her human. I'm looking forward to see where this goes. thanks.

Les
07-19-2001, 06:39 PM
I love what you have done for your underpainting already !

The composition is super ! very sensual ! And yes please keep the lines. I am a woman 50 (hummerph) yrs old and I love the idea of presenting an older woman as sensual ! (see us old broads can still cut it no ? ! Er uh oh not PC there ;) )

Anyway I really love how this is working. Am anxious to see the next phase and to the finish

Les

campsart
07-20-2001, 12:54 AM
Thanks to all for your kind comments. She's more colorful now. I'll post again soon. Yes...this is based on one of those glamour photos. This is my oldest daughter and she asked me to paint this of her. I would never take on a challenge like this. I would prefer a different compo to depict her beautiful features but she is really hung up on me doing this one. I've only thrown away four paintings and several sketches trying to work this thing out. Good or bad...I'm going to give her something!

David