PDA

View Full Version : A fun color-mixing exercise to try...

Lady Artist
09-13-2000, 01:52 PM
Rule a piece of watercolor paper horizontally into about 1-2" sections. Then rule it vertically into 4 spaces. No need to be precise, this is for fun.
In the first left-hand block lay two colors side-by-side. In the next block paint-in those colors that you have pre-mixed in your pan in about equal parts. Third block paint-in with more of one color, fourth block more of the other color.
Now, second left-hand block lay in the same colors sid-by-side(helps to write their names underneath BTW). In the next block lay one color down, let dry. They partly cover it with the 2nd color. In the next block lay the other color down and let dry. They paint the 2nd color partly over it. (l empty block but that's ok).
Then, for the 3rd exercise, same thing in the left-hand block but this time when you paint in the other blocks same sequence as above, do it wet-in-wet.
This is good for seeing how colors look different when pre-mixed, mixed on top of already dry colors and mixed on top of wet colors. It's fun to mix colors right on the paper as well as pre-mix. Sometimes the runs and hard edges "make" the picture if you mix on the paper. Isn't watercolor fun! I call it my "art of serendipity". Or as Forrest Gump always said about life, the same thing applies: it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get! Try it with different color combinations and keep it for reference. :-)

sassybird
09-14-2000, 01:59 AM
Lady Artist, post an example please. I am visually oriented.....lol

------------------
sass

Lady Artist
09-14-2000, 08:26 AM
LOL! Me too! I wish I had a scanner! I'm new to 'puters since Dec. and I'm taking one task at a time. Just mastered pushing the buttons to do a print-out! My DD does my scanning and I do the watching! LOL! Guess you could just try to imagine a page with blocks 4 across and as many down as your paper is long, kind of like a checkerboard.
I so often see these charts in watercolor books and I think how helpful it would be if I actually DID the exercise rather than look at it and try to retain it. Like you, I'm visual and then hands-on makes it stick. One thing that would help here on this BB would b e to be able to paragraph things. Running words all together confuses me too. Duh! LOL! On page 12 of The DK Art School book of Watercolor (if anyone has this) is a good example of what I'm talking about. Maybe I need to try this exercise with those lurking watercolor pencils you mentioned just getting. Anyone know how I can apply for a 48-hour day?

sassybird
09-14-2000, 02:53 PM
I CLEPed out of my color class in college since I had a huge portfolio to put out showing I knew what I was doing......lol I just had trouble visualizing what you were talking about. It is funny how different mediums react in mixing colors. Watercolor is tricky indeed. It has been over a decade since I have worked in them, but I am having fun http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif So far I have finished 5 pieces of 9x12, but will be working larger. Got a roll of paper coming this week. Small is not in my vocabulary.....lol I suppose that comes from painting murals for so many years.

Do yourself a favor and get a scanner. They are reasonably priced now, and it really helps with many different things.

What is your website addy? I would like to see some of your work.

------------------
sass

Lady Artist
09-14-2000, 04:06 PM
Did they really have a CLEP test for color? I CLEPPED out of English!

:-)

Lady Artist
09-15-2000, 01:17 PM
Amelia...I'm visual too! If I had a scanner I could make it easy, huh!

Know what else? The more I keyboard, the more I hate to write in longhand.

But instructions of any kind always daunt me.

:-)

ameliajordan
09-16-2000, 12:18 AM
I printed the instructions and will try exercise - I can't follow all the words but maybe if I do it step by step it will make sense. Thanks