PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Nov 21-27

sundiver
11-20-2003, 04:01 PM
I started a day early because I want to put in onefromheaven's invitation to the WDE. The WC Gallery can be found in the Critique Center, and don't worry if you can't do it until the next morning.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2003/6393-Project0.jpg

We're going to a wine-tasting tonight!:) I'm the Designated Driver. :( But that's ok, they have lots of fantastically yummy appetisers. :)

Dark_Shades
11-20-2003, 06:34 PM
Ok, jumping in on this one, as thinking at least will be ahead on something :)
Damn, Damn, missed last weeks one..... and was soooo looking forward to that too ...... will try and remember for this Saturday :)

... stress, stress, more stress, and if that wasnt enough... just add a little more stress..... work is soooooo unbelievable busy.... anddd stressful :) right now ..... had a 'Lunch Time Taster' the other day ..... if no one read the Weekly thread :) .... had my first Art Lesson ...... woooo hooooo..... how to draw :D ..... how to measure using a pencil...... lol we all felt like plonkers sitting there with our arms out stretched..... all arty farty lol ..... good lesson, learnt alot...... also history of art where it came from..... never knew that .... religion :) ...... cheats of the masters..... and even had enough time to scribble out a drawing from....... Life!!! woooo hoooo lol..... not bad for an hour
A Woman at work approached me tonight, she wants to commission me to draw/paint 3 King Charles Spaniels for her hubbies birthday by the 10th....... and my hubbie also brought home a commission of a double portrait of a co-workers children
:eek: ...... did I mention anything about ....... Stress !!
lol.......

where ever you all are....... hope you are having a good one...... or at least not stressful ;)

Night Night

nougat
11-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Hi all - haven't been around much lately - but I have been dropping in for a look now and again.

Dawn it may be stressful but its WONDERFUL that you're gettting commissions!!! well done!!!

I'll try and remember the WDE. so far I've managed to miss all of them :o

:D nadine

blissfullyunaware
11-20-2003, 06:56 PM
I AM WRITING THIS DOWN ON MY TO DO LIST

(HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO BET I FORGET .... LOL...)

I'm really really really going to try to be there this time!

Thanks for the heads up!!!

~~Sharon

anney
11-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Hello,

I'll make my best to be there too... I have only done one, but it was a great experience!

I have to confess I think I am completelly addicted with Pastels... Do you know if I can find patches or something to get cured???

Have a creative day!

Anne.

meowmeow
11-21-2003, 08:18 AM
Wow Dawn! I'm impressed. I would feel stressed too, but it's exciting. I'm proud of you!

I've been out of it lately, just too much going on in my head. Nothing serious, just real life stuff. I think about painting a lot but don't get to it. Sort of a slump...it helps to come in and see what you all are doing. I don't always post but I am keeping an eye on you! :D

30 people coming next week for Thanksgiving! Yowzer! I'm stressed!! :D They will all bring stuff and help but it's a lot of work too.

I hope everyone has a good week and is not too too stressed!!!

Sandy

Rosic
11-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Did I hear someone mention STRESS! Sorry I haven't participated much this week... been a hectic one at work! Haven't been able to touch that coffee painting in over a week and it's driving me crazy. Hope to be back in action soon.
Rosic

Next week I'm on vacation!!!!:clap:
Plan to paint most of the week....

the House:( that is!

Mo.
11-21-2003, 10:50 AM
Hope to be there this time Wendy. How was the wine tasting?

Well done Dawn on your commissions, oh that all the stress in our lives was so pleasurable.

bnoonan
11-21-2003, 12:13 PM
I think I remember reading stressed spelled backwards is

DESSERT!!! I think it's time for more chocolate!

I myself am experiencing one of the most stressful times of my life in preparing for an art show tomorrow. Hurrah - I'm finally home and able to work on something I love doing.

It's been a long time away from my computer, my easel and my art supplies but I finally get to dig in and get things prepared for tomorrow's show. If I take any photos I'll post them next week.

Cheers!!! Barb

(Dawn - I wish I had your troubles. 4 commissions!!! Good on you!)

Dark_Shades
11-21-2003, 01:10 PM
now thats my kind of stressed ..... desserts lol.... specially CHOCOLATE .... yum!!!.... nah was talking more of work stress..... so much so havent done much of anything, except collapse in a chair as soon as I get in .... wahhhh :P ....... makes me not feel like painting...... but, its the weekend.... so hopefully get something done..... just dont know where the days,weeks, years go of late
..... seems everyones feeling the same too :)

Ohhh wish you luck Barb

..... lol not so sure about the commissions..... two separate school portraits, and one photo printed out onto paper that is really dark, of how they look.... NOW!!! and thats what they want.... no doubt will let you all know what happens ha ha ha..... but thanks for all good wishes though :)

Dark_Shades
11-22-2003, 07:28 AM
.... wooooooo hoooooooooo !!!

Winners of the Rugby World Cup :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mikki Petersen
11-23-2003, 12:39 AM
Hi All!

Sorry for your stress Dawn but really charged up over your commissions.

Barb, glad you are back to painting. Good luck with the show.

Well darn! Missed another WDE. That's what happens when I don't check in. I've been working with watercolors and hanging in the watercolor gallery because I signed up for the "Expand Your Horizons' project way back in July and have never completed and sent my entries, sooooo...I expanded into watercolor. Quite a challenge.

Over in the Watercolor gallery, they've started doing something really great for learning. They have what they call "WIP Alongs". different people have done WIPs but those interested work along with them. For example, one person posts a finished painting to show what is anticipated. Then they post a pattern for people to copy of the initial sketch. Then they take the first step in laying in washes. All the participants take their first step and post their progress. Then there is discussion of each person's attempt at that point...what's right, what could be improved and how to improve it. Then the leader posts step two the same way and it continues like that until everyone has completed a painting.

It's a marvelous learning tool because you not only get to see how somebody achieved an effect, but how a number of people attempt it and what the result is. I was thinking that could be a really good addition to our forum, too. Check it out by going to the Watercolor Gallery and look for the WIParticipate threads.

BTW, I'm finding that trying a different medium is a good cure for the "blues" or being blocked or bored or whatever.

sundiver
11-25-2003, 08:24 AM
G'morning!
Mikki, the WDEs have been every Saturday for the past 6 weeks. If you check the WC Gallery there's usually an announcement by Thursday, but some people have just been showing up on Saturday, assuming there'll be one. ....Wanna host one? :D
Those wc WIP-alongs sound interesting. Must check them out.

E-J, thanks for that last post in the "blonde" thread of the Plein Air forum! lol!

Mo, the wine-tasting, even for the Designated Driver, was lovely. And our son, 20, who formerly wouldn't be seen in the supermarket with his uncool parents, put on a tie and came with us. He was easily the youngest there, and some "older women" who had had more than their share of wine were hitting on him .

30 people, Sandy! Yikes!

Oops, gotta get to work. Have a great day, all!

Kathryn Wilson
11-25-2003, 08:59 PM
Barb: How did your show turn out? We wanna know!!

Dawn: I hope we have settled your nerves a little. How the paper search coming?

IF I DON'T GET TO POST IT, HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all who are celebrating Thanksgiving on Thursday.

FOR THE REST OF YOU MUGS, Happy Thursday!!

Stoy Jones
11-25-2003, 10:08 PM
Dawn! Don't feel bad, I haven't been here enough lately because of the Thanksgiving holiday here. I'm missing out on weekly sketches and all that nice work coming through and not able to comment as much as I'd like. Also would love to take advantage of that drawing event! One of these days!! I will have my project in very soon. That will have to do.

What am I doing? Slugging it out at the supermarket, looking for that elusive turkey! I don't think hunting in the early days were spent this way ;) Oh and the cranberry relish! That goes fast, so must make an honest effort there, can't go without that since it is one of my personal favorites! :o Oh well, Happy Thanksgiving folks!

Stoy

Mikki Petersen
11-25-2003, 10:16 PM
All those who live elsewhere than the US mus think we are more than strange...fighting over turkeys and planning how much cranberry relish to buy, LOL. Gotta love those family holidays...

I give thanks this year for having found WC! to support my passions. Blessing on you all!

Deborah Secor
11-25-2003, 10:38 PM
My little tom turkey is happily defrosting in the fridge, the cranberry is somebody else's problem and I'm deep into interviews for the magazine. Thanksgiving looks like a nice break since it won't be at my house (yay! I don't have to clean!) but it sure is hard to get a hold of people this time of year... What a time to be doing this!
:(

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving feast , if you're celebrating the day. If you aren't, you can join us all in thanks for the wonderful feast for the eyes we enjoy here every day!

Deborah

Oh, by the way, we held our first ever showing of my student's work and over 400 people came to see it! We had a four hour open house and they sold like crazy. These folks are making me look like a great teacher!
:D

Kathryn Wilson
11-25-2003, 10:49 PM
But dee, we already knew that - we are a great teacher!

Don't eat too much turkey!

Mikki Petersen
11-25-2003, 10:49 PM
WOW! Deborah what a wonderful tribute to you and great experience for your students. Amazing turnout!

pampe
11-25-2003, 10:54 PM
Hi, kids

*running through while cooking and cleaning*

Mikki.....been doing WIPs in watercolor for a long time....glad you are finding them useful

I agree about changing mediums...I am so pumped in pastels and oils right now.....

Have a great holiday , all!!

sundiver
11-25-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by dee_artist
Oh, by the way, we held our first ever showing of my student's work and over 400 people came to see it! We had a four hour open house and they sold like crazy. These folks are making me look like a great teacher!
:D

Terrific!
But now that you mention it, your articles in the PJ are usually the most practical and useful ones there. They actually teach something- not to put the other ones down, it's just that I can count on getting something useful from your articles as well as reading them for enjoyment. And that, to me, means a good teacher!
Jackie's books are like that, too- they have something you can sink your teeth into.

Rosic
11-26-2003, 12:34 PM
As not to bump my Coffee piece back to the top I wanted to use this space to Thank you all. Thank you for your encouragement, input, inspiration (it would probably be half finished still if you all were not holding me accountable), and your friendship. I'll be away on a trip to the mountains for Thanksgiving so I'll talk with you when I get back.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
I'm thankful for WC and you all!
Bernie

bnoonan
11-26-2003, 01:14 PM
Deborah - congratulations to you and your students! What a great treat to see the product of their work hanging and selling!

Greetings all - well as T'day arrives in San Francisco, I'm overwhelmed with all the dishes I get to prepare for our 4 guests from out of town. The best part is that they are friends, not family so it's going to be a stress-free event. (though I do miss my family too)

Someone asked about the art show last weekend and I thought I'd share these photos with you. I was pleased with how i did. What you can't see is the display of notecards I sold as well - making this event well worth it.

No doubt you'll recognize a few pieces of this work. thanks for all your suppor and input - oh I got at least 2 commissions from this event as well. Barb

Safe travel and Happy Holidays to all! Barb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2003/13264-email1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2003/13264-email2.jpg

Mo.
11-26-2003, 02:58 PM
Congratulations Dee! you must feel so proud.

Congratulations to you too Barb on your successful show, your display looks so good.

Happy Thanskgiving to all that are celebrating, don't get too stuffed. :D

Mo.:)

meowmeow
11-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Congratulations Dee and Barb! It sounds exciting and successful for both of you.
I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday...and if you are not celebrating the holiday then just have a great day!
Hopefully I will be around more soon....Jackie has been helping me in the Composition Forum to set up a new still life....even that is taking days.
Too much going on.....
Everyone stay well!!!!!

Sandy

blissfullyunaware
11-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Well guess better late than never... just had to stop in and say Happy Thanksgiving / Thursday to all! Congrats DS, Dee & Barb... seems like everyone is BUSY... been way too busy myself! I'm so tired I'm falling asleep typing :o. Hope to be able to catch up here this weekend :) ! Everyone take care and be safe!

Sharon

nougat
11-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Hello there all!!!

Hope everyone enjoyed a lovely thanksgiving holiday.

Also well done Dee and Barb!!! what fun!!

We've just bought a new scanner to replace our old handheld. But still have ing probs...sigh...
nadine

Deborah Secor
11-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Deborah waddles in after a GREAT Thanksgiving meal... Did everyone have a good Thanksgiving??? (Or a pleasant Thursday, whichever.)

Barb, your show looks like it was wonderful. I love the stand on your table with all the paintings. Are those prints? It really helps to get things up at eye level.

Okay, today I must write and work on the dog commission. Write and paint--if I didn't have all these dishes lurking it would be a good day! I got caught short having to prep the meal and take it to my cousin's house, and the dishes were left behind. Sure wish I had a dishwasher today! Oh well, it'll help to get some of the pastel out from under my fingernails and get warmed up, as it's in the 20s here today.

Deborah