PDA

View Full Version : Varnish Drip

ArtMarkie
07-18-2001, 07:43 PM
Hello again,

I varnished an oil painting lately, and the varnish dripped
and puddled at one end. I had left it on the porch (covered
by screen). Do you have to redo that? It looks all right.

Leopoldo1
07-19-2001, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by ArtMarkie
Hello again,I varnished an oil painting lately, and the varnish dripped and puddled at one end. I had left it on the porch (covered by screen). Do you have to redo that? It looks all right.

Markie, varnishing can be tricky even though it appears to most as a simple step to a finished painting. I have had my share of screw ups, in fact I am working on one I took back from a gallery because after I delivered it I noticed uneven layers of varnish, like a glazed donut. This should be fun :( removing it all with turps and then start the varnish all over again.
Varnish is usually made with damar even though other resins work. It should be applied while the painting is layed flat preferable in a dust free zone, the varnished warmed, applied quickly and most important thinly. It dries quickly! If it looks good to you leave it. :oL

shawn gibson
07-19-2001, 10:01 AM
sorry for the a-side (and the really bad b-side, 'how's a chunky chunky gonna do?')...<i>Leopoldo et al</i>:

I varnished a painting in RH's Manila copal and about 50% Oil of Spike about 2 weeks ago...dry-ish to touch. I'll use damar from now on...promise...

I just figured I wanted to add a new element eventually (when the paint dries a little more...some months).

Can I safely remove the varnish that is on there now? Or sould I wait? or should I leave it?

shawn gibson
07-19-2001, 10:05 AM
ps:

if I ever have a child, I'll name her "Varnish Drip"
I knew a pretty girl one time, her name was Varnish Drip...
o help me...:)

Leopoldo1
07-19-2001, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by shawn gibson
sorry for the a-side (and the really bad b-side, 'how's a chunky chunky gonna do?')...<i>Leopoldo et al</i>:

I varnished a painting in RH's Manila copal and about 50% Oil of Spike about 2 weeks ago...dry-ish to touch. I'll use damar from now on...promise...

I just figured I wanted to add a new element eventually (when the paint dries a little more...some months).

Can I safely remove the varnish that is on there now? Or sould I wait? or should I leave it?

Shawn, I am unclear as to what you are asking? Are you talking about removing the copal? Damar is the cheapest of the resins, dilutes easily by adding turps and dries the quickest! Almost all picture varnish in the art outlets is made from damar. As we all should know because it has been repeated many times over that we should wait a minimum of 6 months before applying picture varnish. Why? Well since the varnish dries much quicker than the subsequent layers of oil, as the oils beneath dry the already dry varnish on top will shrink and quess what, crack? I would be hesitant to remove picture varnish from a painting that was not throughly dry before the application of varnish. :oL

shawn gibson
07-19-2001, 10:53 AM
Thanks Leopoldo...yep, it was...fresh. It was copal varnish on top. I was destroying it by overworking. I liked what I had, so I...ummm...sealed it.

...really impatient stupidity; meant to keep me from killing it.

I guess the best course is to just wait a year, sand the area I want to work on, and hope for the best...

jcgroves
07-19-2001, 04:59 PM
You might try a sharp rounded blade pen-knife or exacto-like knife and, using a soft perpendicular scraping attack, abraid the offending drips down to an acceptable level...then a slight touch of turps to re-melt the varnish into a final gloss.

Sometimes it works....much depends on the type of varnish

JCGroves

ArtMarkie
07-23-2001, 01:17 PM
Thanks all,

I just remembered a year ago, I varnished two paintings,
and I had to stand by and siphon off the excess with
paper towels at the end (not touching the paper towel to
the painting). It took forever and I wanted to
avoid that, even though they turned out good. Due to
the wet weather around here this year, the varnish takes
days to dry.