PDA

View Full Version : Fall Jay

missi51
11-20-2003, 11:12 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-20-2003/11884_painting_bluejay_sm.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Fall Jay
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 21
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I can't seem to get my photos to show the detail that is actually in the photo. Perhaps that is typical.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Should I use a satin or gloss varnish on this acrylic painting?

giniaad
11-20-2003, 11:38 AM
striking
love the leaves
the blue jay is a bit out of place, though
(does not look integrated into the scene)
a touch more contrast with darks in the bird
(using some of the red, mixed with the blue)
might be the ticket here...imho

forms are very well executed

(finish is personal...I prefer satin...less glare. Some use gloss for specific purposes in finishing particular subject matter)

painter1960
11-20-2003, 01:48 PM
wonderful detail. I would suggest that you have some of the leaves cast shadows onto the bird. Just a hint or two of darker blues would do the trick. I love the piece as a whole. The leaves made me think of Canada.

caroline65artist
11-20-2003, 03:37 PM
some blues in the shadows of the leaves would help too. I love it, makes a great illustration pic:clap: :clap:

jerryW
11-20-2003, 05:46 PM
the blue body has a corona of bright red
to me this is effective
and psychedellic-ish

xvallarta
11-20-2003, 08:42 PM
One general comment regarding the painting.

The leaves are done well....but the blue jay in their midst is out of place. The contrast between the blue of the bird and the red/orange and green background is disquiting. A brown or red bird would have fitted much better into the color scheme.

Also painting the bird as it was done here makes it look "stuck on" and the painting would have been better served if not all of the bird was shown. A twig, a branch, a leaf or two covering it in places would have made it more interesting. Also the bird would have been more interesting if it was "doing something" besides poseing as if in some list of birds. Head bent...body at an angle...shadows on the bird etc.

There is an old axiom in painting that goes like this: "More paintings are ruined before a brush ever touches the canvas than at any other time." It is wise to plan out the painting....test the concept on scrap paper....see what you can do to improve the composition before you begin to paint.

just a suggestion. Good luck

myles

missi51
11-20-2003, 10:07 PM
Thanks again for all the input...all very good suggestions.