PDA

View Full Version : Bad Hair Day WIP OP's

Mo.
11-19-2003, 07:06 PM
Well at last I've done some art, this morning I was ready to jack it all in and take up knitting instead, nothing in my life has been easy for months... then later today I received an email from a very dear and good friend and fellow pastellist .. she really made me take another look at myself, so tonight I started this, it's not finished by any means, and I cannot say when it will be, but it's a start.

Taken from a ref pic in the Library by Crias painted with Caran D'ache and some Senneliers OP's, on a dark blue piece of pastel paper, ~~ not sure what brand, size is about 12 x14 inches. about 6 hours work.

Feel free to C&C, all are welcomed.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2003/5154-lion_wip02.jpg

Mo.:)

Redsy333
11-19-2003, 07:28 PM
OHhhhhhhhh this is gonna be a beauty!!
Already see it.... using that green backdrop makes that red just pop bringing depth and dimension to the lion!!!:D
GOBSMACKER ON THE WAY!!!
GRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Redsy;)

Mo.
11-19-2003, 07:33 PM
Redsy ;) Thanks so much, I was a little bit wary of the background, afraid it would be too garish, but you have said it all! :D

Thanks for the Gobsmacker, dear friend!! :D

Dyin
11-19-2003, 09:51 PM
Hey! My hair looks like that today lol! Got a nice start there, Dundy...know it'll be a gem when it gets done.

PS....stick with the painting...knitting should be called knotting...not very relaxing when you're yarn challenged lol!

christmascarolnz
11-20-2003, 12:17 AM
No Mo, - knitting's good - or go back a step and spin. Get a lot done when you're mad!
I hope with the brand new day and the brand new painting Mo, that things look rosier for you in the future.
May a gentle breeze blow on your face, bringing with it a scent from days of olde that remind you it's good just to be alive!
Hugs to you,
Carol

Stoy Jones
11-20-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Mo.
this morning I was ready to jack it all in and take up knitting instead,

Lol...although I wouldn't take up knitting :D at least I know I'm not the only one who has a "down" time with creating. I suppose it happens to us all...

I really like this lion. His gaze looks fixed on something off the page somewhere. Eventhough I haven't used OPs, I still can appreciate the use of color and the "painted" look of this piece. Very well done! For an off time, you put out a nice gem!

Stoy

blissfullyunaware
11-20-2003, 06:47 AM
Hey Mo. so good to see you posting again :clap: and a stunner too!!! Just got me some OP's and this is just the inspiration I needed to get me cracking... :D... Thanks for sharing with us.. take care....

~~~ Sharon

soap
11-20-2003, 07:00 AM
Hi Mo, hope you and your family are getting better. For you this must be a good way to feel better........starting out on another brilliant one. I like the background colour as well.
Watching out for updates.........;)

sundiver
11-20-2003, 07:00 AM
Great start on that old kitty, Mo! It's good to have you back in action.

meowmeow
11-20-2003, 07:49 AM
((Mo)) I'm sorry things have been so lousy for you Mo. I have not been around much lately so I think I missed something, but I am glad to see you here.
Your lion looks like he is starting out just great. I like the background and his funky hair. Mine frequently looks like that!
Keep working on it...it's going to be terrific!

Sandy

Alachua Artist
11-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Great start, Mo. I'm fairly new to oil pastels, and will watch with great anticipation on the progress of this piece. Nothing is better than art for therapy... unless you can get Jack Daniels to visit for a sip (or two :evil: )

Do you use the colour shapers? I've not yet tried them, although the reviews and threads I've read about them are most positive.

Glad to hear you're back at this. I wonder if colour shapers would work instead of knitting needles in a pinch... :D

Mo.
11-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Oooh well after all this wonderful encouragement, I'd better finish this one!

Hey Muff ~~ My hair looks like it every day, watch your mail too, there will one coming your way later today.

Carol ~~ May a gentle breeze blow on your face, bringing with it a scent from days of olde that remind you it's good just to be alive!

What Lovely words, thankyou. I have a friend who spins wool, get's her wool from a local farmer who breeds Jacob sheep, they are black/brown and cream coloured,she's the most laid back person on earth, so maybe you have a good point there.:)

Stoy ~~ Thankyou, give the OP's a try, you may like them.

Sharon ~~ Thankyou, nice to know I've inspired someone.:) So what OP's did you buy? Tell all!

Sophie ~~ Thanks pal, things are steadily improving, yeah you are right, it's the best therapy going, hope I don't mess it up now.!

Wendy ~~ Thanks, it's good to be back in action, missed the last WDE, hope to be there this week though.

Sandy ~~ Thankyou, it was the funky hair that caught my attention to this one, he looks so scruffy, just like me.:)

Alachua ~~ Thankyou, never tried a Jack Daniels, but a wee dram of scotch is good.:)

I have colour shapers, but can't get on with them, I prefer to use my own hand made blenders out of rolled up paper, or a stiff bristle brush.

Thanks again everyone, you have all really made my day, hope to have an update later tonight.

Kathryn Wilson
11-20-2003, 11:26 AM
Hi Mo! Good to see you back at it again - this kitty is going to be great. Love those eyes - just glad they aren't looking at me!

grrrrr kitty

bnoonan
11-20-2003, 12:04 PM
SHE'S BACK WITH A ROAAAARRRRR!!!

Hey Mo - this is fabulous. I love the violet colors on the hair in all parts - from the top of the head and where it carries down the sides. Great color choice especially with the background.

This one is going to be a beauty - keep going.

I have to say I'm curious about those paws.

Lovely work and any time you think you should give up painting for knitting, promise us you'll paint the knitting needles first - I guarantee you you'll be back.

Cheers!!! Barb:cat:

E-J
11-20-2003, 04:21 PM
Mo, the clamouring hordes are here to demand an update! :)

I am not posting to critique your lion - you've got far more than 'a start' here and he is clearly going to be gorgeous.

Sorry to hear that things have been bad for you. Believe me that NOTHING is worth taking up knitting for!! :eek: :) Dear Mo, you owe it to yourself and your oil pastels to keep painting your beautiful lions and swans. We've missed you!

Dark_Shades
11-20-2003, 05:40 PM
Hi Mo ....... flying visit lol........ just wanted to say

Good to see you posting again..... love the background and the gleam in he's coat...... will catch up with you soon ok

blissfullyunaware
11-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Mo... get the feeling you've been missed :D... Bought a set of Holbeins on Ebay... great price. Tried playing with them today.... oh my.... how do you do it... must go read some threads because what I did doesn't even look like a picture... hehehe... :p

Maybe I should take up knitting :o ... LOL... Keep em coming my friend :D

~~~ Sharon

nougat
11-20-2003, 05:57 PM
Hi Mo

sorry you've been having a 'down' time. Your lion is looking great.

looking forward to seeing it finished!!

nadine

Mo.
11-20-2003, 07:03 PM
Thanks Kat, but beware he has his eye on someone :D could be you.LOL!

Barb thankyou, I used an indigo pastel ( my all time favourite for darks, even using soft pastels) for the dark areas as I didn't want to use plain old brown, and it really punches up those red/oranges.

So glad you like it, why are you curious about the paws I wonder.:)

E-J Thankyou so much for the encouraging words, things are improving at last, fingers crossed, life can be such a bitch on times as probably you all know, but when these things happen it really knocks you...anyway as I said things are improving and I'm so glad to be back painting again.

Hiya Dawn! Thanks pal for dropping by, Catch you soon too ;)

Nadine thank you, hopefully it won't be long.

Well folks when things go wrong boy do they go wrong, fully intended to do lots tonight, but only managed an hour, I'm working this one from the computer screen, should have printed it out I know, but I'm out of coloured ink at the moment, it's on order.
So there I am all set up to do some more and wham!! computer freezes..... re-booted all fine then as soon as I moved my wacom pen nowt... it freezed up again, and so it went on, so had to close down , do some housecleaning and de-frag etc., it's all fine just at the moment, but still a bit iffy, the cursor is jerky, so obviously something wrong.

Any way here's as far as I got, I've been adding more colour layers, defining things here and there, blocked in his paws... just for Barb :D......stuck a couple of whiskers on him, but I'll probably whisk them off again tomorrow, still work to do on his fur and face area.

Thanks again for all the comments and support you have given me.:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2003/5154-lion_wip_03.jpg

P.S. Sharon, sorry missed your post , so you were the one who outbid me for those Holbeins.... Grrrrr!!! :D

How do you like them?

Mo.
11-21-2003, 07:16 PM
Well I've finished this one now, will post the final tomorrow when I take a daylight pic.

Thanks all!

Dyin
11-22-2003, 04:38 PM
Yo, Mo....we're WAITING!!!! :D :evil: :D

meowmeow
11-22-2003, 04:41 PM
This is coming along great! Very liony!

I saw the Holbeins...at least someone here got them.
So who outbid me on the 1/2 sticks on Plein Air Unisons? :D
eBay can be dangerous. But fun! :D

Sandy

Mikki Petersen
11-22-2003, 11:06 PM
Good to see you back in the drawing room (space). I have been working with watercolors to break out of my slump. You seem to be doing just fine with OPs. His Majesty is looking quite good.

ctmobitz
11-22-2003, 11:14 PM
Hey Mo......
Glad to see you back.........that kitty will be fine.......you have such a great start on him. Lookin forward to seeing him right down to the last roarrrrrrrrr! You can do it!!!

Regards,
Claude

Rosic
11-23-2003, 08:35 AM
Very Majestic! I have thoroughly enjoyed watching this one unfold. Mo... you are a true master. I'll check out the finished one later today.
Rosic

Mo.
11-29-2003, 06:53 PM
Thanks so much Sue,Sandy, Mikki, Claude and Rosic.

Sue, I know you've been awaiting, I just kept forgetting to post it up, as you know it's been finished for a while now, ~~sorreee.:D

Aww Sandy you got outbid too? TSK, no justice hey?

Mikki, How are getting on with the water-colours, good aren't they? Have you posted any up in the WC forum? I'd better check.

Claude, thankyou for the confidence in me. :)

Rosic that's a grand compliment coming from you, I saw your beautiful OP painting, if any one is a master you surely are, hope you do more.

Well here he is all done, been hanging around here for a week now. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2003/5154-lion_final_001.jpg

Dyin
11-29-2003, 07:09 PM
Well, now you gotta re-title this! His mane is gorgeous!!! And I love the touches of blue on his snout and the complementary background...this pose kills me...looks like he's about to lead a thoughtful, polite group discussion!!! He's a beaut, Mo...can see your training in oils in this one...niiiice! :D :clap: :D

Mikki Petersen
11-30-2003, 12:29 AM
Mo. He is supurb! He's so very regal and yet I just want to go up and run my hands through his mane!

I'm having great fun with watercolors. If you want to see, check my entries in the "Expand Your Horizons" project and the "Year of Paintings" project. thanks for asking. The only drawback is that I feel so close to everyone here and only know a few folks in the watercolor gallery forum.

Doogun
11-30-2003, 12:39 AM
Mo,
The lion is going to be beautiful, as is every piece you create. There are two good reasons why you can't take up knitting:
1.) You are not a Canadian in a big RV on you way to Florida.
2.) You have to stay around here to keep me encouraged!!
Larry

E-J
11-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Mo, he IS gorgeous! What sumptuous, rich, yummy colours :clap:

ctmobitz
11-30-2003, 02:41 PM
MO...... He is just fantastic........I want to reach out and shake his paw..........he is so so lifelike.........nice job .....

Regards,
Claude

Mo.
11-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Thanks a bundle folks, so glad you like him, my first lion in OP's, but probably not my last.:)

christmascarolnz
12-01-2003, 02:51 PM
Wow Mo! Great painting. I like the comment about the 'polite discussion'!! To me he looks like he'd had one of those photos taken where you get all do-darred up like a model.
I love the colours. He's very appealing.
Cheers Mo,
Carol

Mo.
12-01-2003, 07:11 PM
Thanks Carol, yeah that was Sue made that comment :D She got it one there. This believe it or not was quite a challenge with the OP's, if had been soft pastels I'm sure I would have flown through it as the pose is such an easy one, but with those challenging Oil Pastels not so easy.;)