PDA

View Full Version : First Bloom (temporary title)

Helen Zapata
11-19-2003, 06:19 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-19-2003/13900_FirstBloom100.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-19-2003/13900_FirstBloom500.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: First Bloom (temporary title)
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Having fun with wildflowers here. I did a little something different too... In my initial quick block in, I found I liked the dry riverbed as it was, and ended up barely touching it while finishing the rest of the piece.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
It feels odd to have smooth areas playing alongside of highly textured areas. But I like it. I've got a bit of everything here.. knife work, brush work, dibbing, dabbing, scritchety scratch!

Helen

mfoxmelanson
11-19-2003, 06:30 PM
Beautiful! Has a nice soft feeling.

M.

Dana Design
11-19-2003, 06:40 PM
So pretty! Very well done. Makes me long for Spring. Beautiful colors.
Dana

Lorijo
11-19-2003, 06:58 PM
Real nice Helen, I like it! Lorijo

KPowe
11-19-2003, 07:24 PM
Wow! Helen, you've done fantastic on this one. I want to go there! I love the colors and the way you've pushed the background into the back without sacrificing that gorgeous color. Even the sky has a touch of all the main colors. The front tree is realistic and yet friendly. VERY NICE!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Leslie Pz
11-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Beautiful and colorful. What a wonderful painting. Love your depth and perspective.
-Les

Helen Zapata
11-20-2003, 01:18 AM
Mfox, thank you so much!

Dana, thank you. Actually here in Phoenix right now, it FEELS like Spring! It's so lovely out.

Lorijo, thanks!! :)

Kathy, what a neat comment! I'm so glad you like it. hee.. and I had to chuckle at the "friendly tree". ;)

Les, thanks! I appreciate it very much!

Helen

Rabbit Twilight
11-20-2003, 10:23 AM
Beautiful painting Helen!!!

Wes Hyde
11-20-2003, 10:47 AM
Beautiful, Helen. :)

Wes

pero lane
11-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Lovely work Helen!:clap:

TScottDove
11-20-2003, 04:43 PM
pretty, pretty, pretty!

would be a stronger composition to me if the distant tree were moved more to the center a bit, or further to the outside where it would bleed off the edge.

and love your snowman, btw

JamieWG
11-20-2003, 06:46 PM
Hi Helen. Beautiful trees and lovely flowers. 'Looks like a wonderful place to visit.

Jamie

coulter
11-20-2003, 09:00 PM
Soft, lush, and well, beautiful!

Man, your trees are getting better and better and better!

Mark

shirleyq
11-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Lovely! I was in Phoenix last weekend and you are right, it does feel like spring.

Helen Zapata
11-20-2003, 09:22 PM
Bobbi, Wes, and Pat.. thank you so much! :D

Thanks Scott. I can see what you mean about that left tree. I'll be keeping it where it is, but remember for the future! (and thanks on the snowman.. I think he's so cute!)

Jamie, thank you! Too bad it's not real! LOL

Aw, thank you Mark. I keep practicing and practicing on the trees. They've become so much fun for me! Glad you didn't see that right hand one earlier on though, I went crazy with color and it was going absolutely nuts! I took my knife and redid nearly all the foliage. But you can still see some bright Venetian Red poking through where I liked it. ;)

Shirley, thanks! Ah, November in Phoenix! It's always been my favorite month here.

Helen

woodguy
11-21-2003, 01:01 AM
Helen, your paintings are like mosaics made from exquisite, multi colored gems! What a delight. Jim

boopie
11-21-2003, 01:10 AM
Helen this is beautiful love the colors:clap: :clap: :clap:

Wayne Gaudon
11-21-2003, 07:07 AM
I don't understand this piece on the top of the blue .. seems to grab more than it's share of attention. I assume it should be behind the blue but it seems to sit on top. IMOOC

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2003/5946-13900.jpg

Aside from that, this is a very beautiful rendering along the same vein as that guy that does the calenders .. Robert Wildflower :D
IMO this is one of your better works and it should sell quickly.

impressionist2
11-21-2003, 08:03 AM
Helen, This is shimmeringly beautiful!

Reminds me of Bonnard.

Renee

Helen Zapata
11-22-2003, 11:18 AM
Thank you Jim! What a neat description! I love it! :D :D

Boopie, thank you! I appreciate it very much!

Thanks Wayne! Actually yesterday I thought this lady was going to buy it. I could see the wheels turning in her head. I half expect her to get back to me. haha.. it's okay with me to hold onto it a little while, cuz I like looking at it. And for the violet mountains in the back. Yes, I know what you are talking about. I kinda broke the rules of atmospheric perspective there. But I was liking it, and that pretty much usually takes precedence with me. LOL! Don't worry though, in the actual painting, both that violet are and the blue in front of it, are much quieter and it seems to sit back nicely on the painting itself. But thank you for taking the time to point that out! I did double check the painting to make sure of what I was seeing here from this end.

Thank you Renee! I love that word, "shimmering". It's such a neat word, and I love hearing it applied to my work.

I finally decided on a name yesterday. I'm going to call this one "After the Rain". That's what it looks like to me. :)

Helen