PDA

View Full Version : A winter tale

Hairy wolf
12-11-2019, 05:29 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2019/1397618-69ED1EB7-48E0-43B2-9BA0-9E93F1862F57.jpeg

Acrylics on paper. 24”X20”.
I posted it several weeks ago in the acrylics forum.
Thanks a lot for looking and.....saying (anything at all).
Cheers.

KreativeK
12-11-2019, 09:40 PM
It appears to be an ordinary snow play day for the kids until one sees the scary monster watching them. Eeeeek!

birdhs
12-11-2019, 09:56 PM
HW, this is absolutely one of your very best.
The anatomy is spot-on, modeling, coloring, shading, even the snow is captured so well. The perfection is what captured my attention, the OTHER was not noticed at first quick glance.
and there lies the magic moment of this piece of Art.

What we don't see right away is often the greatest threat to us.
another painting with a strong message.

prosetry will be written later...

theBongolian
12-12-2019, 01:52 AM
...What we don't see right away is often the greatest threat to us.....
I thought the figure in the bg was watching over them, a protector.

btw another good one Mr. Wolf.

llahsram
12-12-2019, 07:46 AM
I like it overall. But I don't understand the background? Guardian of threat? Why not a normal background?

These are not meant to be negative but rather I'm just trying to understand. I'm new to this and I haven't seen any of your previous work so maybe this is just out of context for me.

trufflecat
12-12-2019, 11:58 AM
Well, Hairy, you have us all in a quandary about the meaning of this! Which is good, IMHO. I interpret the background guy(a child, a teenager?) as looking a bit scared himself and maybe wishing he could participate in the play, but I await the real answer from Greggo's poem and/or from you. The other wonder about this is if there is a racial message going on since the background guy looks to be a person of color and the children building the snowman seem ambiguous as to race, making the viewer wonder if the guy is being shut out because of his race. You have depicted an innocent scene (children very well drawn, by the way) with someone large, wide-eyed and looming behind them, so it creates an amazing contrast and tension between the two parts, but of what nature? Could he be remembering his youth and regretting lost innocence? Could he be behind bars and wishing he could get out and play in the snow? but the bars don't cover his face. Maybe they are bushes, maybe neither. All most strange.

It is beautifully painted especially the snow.

Boafamily
12-12-2019, 12:10 PM
This is brilliant with the lighter tones focusing on the children at play and the darker tones drawing us in with the camouflaged man's head showing through the thick lattices backdrop.

Perry
12-12-2019, 05:48 PM
Well done. He has a sense of wonder in his eyes. A gentle giant maybe.

birdhs
12-12-2019, 11:13 PM
Invisible is what I be
Invisible is not what I wanna be.
it just be what be.

the children are so tiny and funny.
How can they not see me?
My heart beats so loud
surely they can hear me?

All I want this year is to have a friend
I am a friend, not a fiend.
I hear the jokes they make about me,
I not be mean, no not me!

I not eat little boys
I not eat little girls
When a dog barks then stops
The parents say I ate it, too.

"If you don't behave we'll feed you to the boogie man"
The little children scream NO NO NO
I wish I could say hello
but it can't be so.

One day one brave child will see me
He or she will say "Hello!"
And not be afraid
This is my dream, for it to be so.

Be not afraid of what you can't see
It might be a new friend like me
And I can finally come out of the dark
and play with you, and you with me.

Pancrazio
12-13-2019, 01:08 AM
The guy in the background is wondering why the kids are playing around his snowman. : )

Very good Hairy wolf...

Hairy wolf
12-13-2019, 12:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2019/1397618-C9E14B6F-C59F-42DF-805C-E6D31883C0DA.jpeg
Well, I’m truly glad to see the responses. Much obliged.
The initial idea was: children innocently playing around the snowman they had just completed, oblivious to danger lurking just behind. Danger showing its ugly head from behind some kind of netting/fencing.
As you can see, there was a gorilla there earlier (King Kong?....). Maybe I should have left it there? The “guy” that’s there now seems to scare himself more than he could ever scare the brave children.... Oh, well....
It’s a winter tale I guess, one way or the other.

Hairy wolf
12-13-2019, 12:07 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2019/1397618-FC8F42AD-C12D-4F18-876A-5BD03C3C58DC.jpeg

Hairy wolf
12-13-2019, 12:44 PM
Greggo, yes! How the boogie man desire to be like all those “normal” kids!
Well yeah, maybe some day soon?

Bilateral
12-13-2019, 11:51 PM
Love the counterpoint of light and dark, obliviousness and focus, innocence and not.
Would be a stunner IRL.

Hairy wolf
12-14-2019, 11:51 AM
Thank you Bilateral! Well, I am happy with the finished product IRL....