the chef recounts
after stuffed fowl and sausage burger
eggplant salad and wine

http://www.neoncrunch.on.ca/pix/storiesafterbarbq.jpg

30"X30"
acrylic on canvas

jheinrich
07-18-2001, 11:13 AM
what an expression! the hands are well done too. The only hesitation I have is the mustard along the right side, seems to be drawing the focus aways from the figure ...

excellent bottle and salad dish ...

I'm also enjoying the aqua green/cerulean action going from the shirt to the ur background.

cheers,
j*

YLCIA
07-18-2001, 12:03 PM
Jerry, it is wonderful! I love the colors , the food( Yummy!especially eggplant salad and wine!) the face and hands expression.

Ladysue
07-18-2001, 12:11 PM
Hello Jerry!

The chef sure is pssionate about the subject! Great expression!
I personally would have made a little more contrast between the shirt and the background, but I guess that's a matter of taste since another person metioned that's what she liked.

Anyway, you sure caoptured the moment in this! Feels like we're at the table with him!:clap:

Chuck
07-18-2001, 12:31 PM
Great job Jerry! But. what kind of BBQ do ya'll serve north of the border...where's the suds? http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2001/tweebier.gif
I'll drink to that!

dornberg
07-18-2001, 12:45 PM
this is a well composed picture
blue "L" comes down from corner to corner,
crossed by an orange "L" from corner to corner
white highlights mid left repeat mid-lower right
salad spoon echos the arms
careful placement of reds
it feeds iupon itself

dornberg
07-18-2001, 12:47 PM
oh yes,
a figure happens to be in this painting

caro
07-18-2001, 01:09 PM
wonderful! those colours, the expression on the man's face... the hands, ... i really enjoy looking at this picture.

jerryW
07-18-2001, 01:17 PM
* jheireich/jnet11, damon is one of the most vibrant conversationalists, but his cooking is even more sensational
I was a bit concerned that the bottle ended up in a different view class altogether, but the variety of view classes seems to hold it together from the ultra: bottle foreground, through the macro geometric: table dish and figure, to the scratchy sketchy: glass bowl and wine cup and shirt shading. I also wanted to punch up the colors all over but I think I'll leave it too.

this is one I did of him last year
http://www.neoncrunch.on.ca/pix/daimon.jpg

*YLCIA, I saw a simmilarity in tone between the shirt and wall so I translated it as color, I also fight with myself about making it clearer but it has a visual twang by being how it is.

*Chuck, the suds are out of view, It looked like burgers chicken and sausages, but the sausage went into everything. it was fabulous. we also had some eggplant and even barbecued peaches. Damon's dad has a wine cellar. extraordinary flavours abound.

*dornberg, yes I was into the blue L and the orange L with a mint v in the middle, although I really got lost a few times. the red went in consciously to help expose some details and keep up a dancing eye thing. spoon and arm yup!

*dornberg, figure, yes part of life slice.

*caro, thanks for visiting I am thinking of getting a fun camera without a flash, anyone know about those russian cameras Lomo I think it's called. I bet I'm bothering people with these flashing throwaways.

YLCIA
07-18-2001, 02:14 PM
Jerry, I did not comment on the similarities, actually, Ladysue did, so ...
I love the way everything is!

Ta-ta,

jerryW
07-18-2001, 02:41 PM
YLCIA , Ladysue - please forgive. I am on holiday this week - got my hair cut, and I guess I have lost a bit of mental acuity with it.

ZOTMA
07-18-2001, 03:01 PM
His expression well captured and I love the table being as emphatic. The bottle, chair and tan wall forming a triad. The way the strokes create the rolled up sleeve. The hands. Thanks for discussing the view classes. The other piece amazing and with such a different treatment.

jerryW
07-18-2001, 07:56 PM
*zotma, I made up the view classes on the spur of the moment but they may relate to other artists' experiences of rendering.
this painting is one of few of mine, in which I have been aware of more than two dominant expressive styles operating and none quite supreme, a mix of techniques, a smortgastbord.

ArtyHelen
07-19-2001, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by jerryW
damon is one of the most vibrant conversationalists,

And you have made that so very evident in this painting, Jerry, and that's what's so wonderful about it in my opinion!

I think this could be my favourite of all the paintings I've seen by you!

Wonderful!

:clap:

Helen

TeAnne
07-19-2001, 09:04 AM
Fantastic Jerry, I also love the perspective that the bottle gives. Colours too, yummy :evil:

giniaad
07-19-2001, 10:18 AM
wish I could go on and on about this...
computer dog slow
have to go...

I absolutely love this Jerry...
I must admit that my favorite pieces of yours are the ones where your palet is large and various...(has lots of colors)!
because I love what you do with those colors SOOOOO MUCH!
expressive...
rich...
fun...
they are pieces one wants to live with...
what more could an artist want for their artwork to be? (ok, there are lots of other things, but that is a good one)...
I've had had enough coffee...

ginia

JeanineJ
07-19-2001, 10:31 AM
Brilliantly constructed! I dip back into this repeatedly for more... Heavenly... :angel:

Impulse
07-19-2001, 10:35 PM
i wish my jaw would close

breathtaking

one of the best pieces i have seen anywhere

defiant colours
brilliant stucture
the bottle works!

the expression sits me down
to dinner conversation

stunning

is it for sale?

you oughta bring your brushes

Ceu
07-19-2001, 11:01 PM
what a nice comfortable setting, that is what bbqs should be, and the expressions are just right as well as the colors. Nice to be around friends and conversations that make you translante into paintings

Les
07-19-2001, 11:36 PM
Wow ! I love the expression. I can almost hear this fellow speak !

I lived in Italy for 3 years and he almost acts and feels llike the fabulos cooks I knew there..

I almost feel like I was takling to this fellow about his favorite recipe !

Nicely done ! Love the choice of colors as well

Les

jerryW
07-20-2001, 10:18 AM
*ArtyHelen, glad you like it.

*TeAnne, It is a bit of a post but I like it too.

* giniaad, the appearance of lots of colors is due to wet on wet making tons of mistakes and continuing to roll them itno the mix.

* JeanineJ, I try not to stop it if it is happenning, but would I really even know?

*Impulse, I will bring my camera, and OK this too! comversation can go in any direction. and so can the brush.

*Ceu, I wish I had more weeks like this when I could just paint any old photo. Did I tell you I bought a lomo? The pix it takes are absolutely mental. I love it.

* Les, your comments have to be relayed to Damon it will be well received.

SDavy
07-20-2001, 11:09 AM
:clap:
Jerry- This painting realy is delicious! I love the colors and contrasts- and his expression- as if in the throes of passion-food certainly does that to me-
The second is so different- almost somber- I am very impressed!

Impulse
07-20-2001, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by jerryW

*Impulse, I will bring my camera, and OK this too! comversation can go in any direction. and so can the brush.

can't wait
i may have
to bring
the belly dancers
after all

Miltz
07-21-2001, 03:27 AM
Big, Thick, juicy and spicy, jerry! A veritable sausage burger in paint! I am not totally convinced on the hands, but I agree that the facial expression is wonderful indeed and pays for all. I would say more, but I would just be repeating many others...Good piece! Wish I could be joining you folks for the next one (barbeque, that is).

Impulse
07-21-2001, 09:36 AM
miltz

that's tinyhead
breaks the obsenity
laws of 48 states

ArtyHelen
07-21-2001, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Impulse
miltz
that tinyhead
breaks the obsenity
laws of 48 states

LOL! Yeah, I was just thinking that it's getting rather hot in here! :evil: Phew! :D

Helen

jerryW
07-21-2001, 11:20 AM
not sure I want to know what Miltz is doing - it seems to splatter.

BTW I just updated my website for the first time in a year.

Miltz
07-21-2001, 04:36 PM
Hey, gimme a break, I was just playing with the distortion filters in photoshop, I didn't see that motion thing happening:o :o

Gotta go fix that.

Congratulations on updating the site, jerry, I am always amazed at how long it takes. I'll head over and browse after I fix my unintentionally obscene tiny...

jerryW
07-21-2001, 04:55 PM
Miltz even if you don't go splatter you will always have a special place in my heart.

Miltz
07-21-2001, 05:38 PM
Sick, Dude!

jerryW
07-21-2001, 05:47 PM
miltz your head is moving very well but I don't want us discovered

ArtyHelen
07-21-2001, 06:23 PM
Darn! I preferred the hot one - you look like you're throwing up now, Mark!
LOL! :D

Helen

Miltz
07-21-2001, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by ArtyHelen
Darn! I preferred the hot one - you look like you're throwing up now, Mark!
LOL! :D

Helen

I SAID it was Sick :rolleyes: , Helen. After all, I am not at the barbeque, I am currently eating my own cooking! LOL

Might try something else tonight, but darn it I gotta get to work on this new piece sometime....