PDA

View Full Version : Self Portrait, Rear View (Undraped)

ArtyHelen
11-19-2003, 11:55 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-19-2003/2881_mehipswing1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-19-2003/2881_mehipswing4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-19-2003/2881_mehipswing3.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Self Portrait, Rear View (Undraped)
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've just sent off my application for art college (if I get in, it'll be a one year access course, then three years to get a degree).

This is the first one for the portfolio I need to take to my interview in January...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I won't mess with this one, but if you can give me any critique that might be helpful for the rest of my portfolio (bearing in mind what the art college might look for in my work), I'd be very grateful!

Helen

giniaad
11-19-2003, 12:05 PM
nice work! great form!
nice bod! are you a body builder too?!
great job on her right arm perspective!
no nits here...

(can't help you on the artschool thing, I suspect it will depend on the individual art professor and his/her personal perspecives on "art", though)
best of luck to you!

ArtyHelen
11-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Hello Ginia! :)

Body builder, moi? :eek: No! Doing quite a bit of walking and all that raising a son alone involves is the only exercise I get...! lol

Glad you like it, and thanx for the good luck wishes! :)

Helen

pero lane
11-19-2003, 12:27 PM
Nicely done!:) Your portfolio will be at the mercy of whomever views it...just do your best (like this one).:)

ArtyHelen
11-19-2003, 12:35 PM
Thank you, Pat! :)

Helen

HRobinson
11-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Hi Helen. There is a sense of overt masculinity in the upper torso but since I don't know you, what I would have to comment on as a more noticeable artistic inconsistency, would be in the shading of the right arm (upper) and that even though the foreshortening is well contrived, the lack of shading (from the head) and tone on that entire plane seems to lack some feasibility. The pose is only good enough for a study.

On a more personal note: You made yourself seem interesting enough to warrant a meeting of the eyes.

-Harry

ArtyHelen
11-19-2003, 01:48 PM
Thanx for your honesty, Harry!

Am trying to see what you mean... Where do you mean "the lack of shading (from the head)"? Do you mean the entire length of the arm from tip to elbow?

And why do you feel "the pose is only good enough for a study." :confused: The pose is kind of the whole point of the painting?! lol

Helen

HRobinson
11-19-2003, 08:09 PM
According to your glutes, the light comes from the upper left. The head would cast more of a shadow (similar to the downside of the glutes) with a darkish tinge on your arm pit area. I could buy that pose better if you had a javelin in your hand. Keep in touch during your classes. Us freeloaders need love to.

-Harry

jerryW
11-20-2003, 01:12 AM
dancing confidently with flames and shadow

you keep posting things like this you wont be raising a son alone for long!

way to go!

I think this is consistently close to real based on other images you have posed about your carnal (as in incarnation) self.