View Full Version : Fat Eight

theBongolian
12-05-2019, 03:02 AM
Fat Eight - acrylic on 24" x 18" panel

comments welcomed
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2019/1999899-FatEight02202.jpg

KreativeK
12-05-2019, 12:19 PM
Ominous looking men, maybe mobsters, shooting craps. I hope greggo will make up a story about it. Nice work!

theBongolian
12-06-2019, 07:36 PM
Thanks Kay. Something that I have to keep relearning, is that an extra 5% put in at the end of a painting can make all the difference.

After I posted this one I did some more modeling on the faces and reworked the hands. Then discovered that cutting it down from 18"x24" to 16"x20" made a huge difference in the impact of the composition. Then a coat of Gamvar Gloss gave it the depth of color it was lacking. So that extra 5% effort at the end IMO took it from an "it's okay" to a "very good" -- b minus to b plus.

I buy hardboard by the 8ft x 4ft sheet, then cut it down to make paintings. Invariably what happens is when I'm about to run out of painting panels rather than go thru the hassle of buying another sheet, lugging it home, cutting it up,, etc. I'll opt for painting over my "it's okay" paintings rather than considering what "5%" I might do to make it better. The "big eight" painting was the third one I made on that panel. I think now that last one I painted over could have been saved with some modest re-working.

The lesson learned is always keep a supply of painting supports on hand. That way you won't be so quick to paint over, and then when(if) inspiration strikes you'll ready.