PDA

View Full Version : Ruined Brushes...

Lady Artist
09-12-2000, 07:11 PM
Any suggestions for what to use to apply masking fluid to large areas? I've ruined my last brush.
I usually use a toothpick for small areas but the big ones have me stumped.
Thanks in advance. :- )

Phyllis Rennie
09-12-2000, 07:59 PM
Did you "soap" your brush first? I just use a bar of handsoap and work it into the brush making sure the area around the ferrule is well coated. Then wash out as soon as finished with the masking fluid. Phyl

Lady Artist
09-12-2000, 08:53 PM
Thanks! I will definitely give that a try! I also saw something the other day in a book about using soap to make textures in watercolor. Bubbles! Sounds like fun!

Mary Kay
09-12-2000, 10:14 PM
I avoid using any of my brushes with miskit, even with the soap. I also use toothpicks, but a twig gives an interesting line too. lately I've used a wooden chopstick...just peel off the miskit when you're done. I don't use miskit very often, I don't like the hard edges it leaves around the shapes.

MK

------------------
http://www.maplelawnstudio.com

VictoriaS
09-13-2000, 01:05 PM
I bought a cheap ($3) synthetic brush specifically for masking fluid. That's all I use it for, and I don't use it often. I'm wondering if one of those squeeze bottles with a narrow tip might work (if you're diligent about cleaning out the opening after each use).

Lady Artist
09-13-2000, 01:28 PM
Hmmm....squeeze bottle might work too. I wondered about a plastic small spatulate type object, very small, like maybe cut down to 1/4"?
I agree about the hard edges. I don't mind on thin areas of fine lines because that's what I want there, but the hard edges can be softened with a bit of brushed-on water with a small brush if you like.

Lady Artist
09-13-2000, 01:29 PM
PS: Q-Tips work for softening edges too.
:-)

sassybird
09-14-2000, 02:04 AM
Not long ago I posted a question regarding the incredible nib. I have been using mine more since I learned I could use it with masking fluid. I use the large end to do areas that I want to cover more, and I keep a little container of water and dish washing liquid at hand to dip the nib in after each application. I find it has been working well for me.

------------------
sass

Dennis
09-14-2000, 01:10 PM
When I first tried w/c I used a lot of masking - even used masking paper. I now only use it for highlights and things I can't paint around. The better I get, the more I can paint around. I find an inexpensive round nylon brush first dipped into soapy water works fine. For extra fine work I use a sharpened twig. Some brands of friskit wick up into the ferrel and some don't. I find w/n especially difficult to use. My preferred brand is Pebeo with Grumbacher comming in second. The problem with Grumbacher is that the color constantly settles to the bottom and mixing causes little bubbles in the medium. Hope this helps, Dennis

Lady Artist
09-14-2000, 01:16 PM
Thanks all. I've been using WN masking. It too seems to make bubbles but they haven't been a problem.

What's the nib? You mean like a basic pen and ink nib? An el-cheapo?

cassandra
09-14-2000, 07:07 PM
I sometimes use a ruling pen - it's an old drafting tool with two bill-shaped parts (as in bird's bills), held apart with a tiny screw. Also, had reasonable success cutting quill pens from bird feathers I found on my walks. I've also used a regular nib and pen. I think the reference to the "Incredible Nib" is a brand name item that has a synthetic point attached to a handle.
cassandra

Lady Artist
09-14-2000, 07:54 PM
Oh, I remember those tools from mechanical drawing class. Gee, do they still teach hands-on stuff like that to art students? Guess you can tell I'm an antique! LOL!

Bird's feathers...interesting idea! With all the crows around here, I should be able to find something like that. Also, maybe stems from flowers or weeds cut into an angle.

Great brainstorming here!

ameliajordan
09-16-2000, 12:09 AM
Usually I use cheap brush with dish detergent and water but you only have 20-30 seconds before you have to wash out and begin again. I had some good results with the tiny needle oil can but didn't get it washed out right away and ruined it http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/frown.gif