View Full Version : womb

jheinrich
07-18-2001, 01:10 AM
comments? critiques?

acrylic and ink on canvas 9 x 12 inch

Maria Gusta
07-18-2001, 02:20 AM
Interesting... disturbing in some ways.

All the red and the sharp shapes seemed threatening... but then I saw it as a fetal stained glass cathedral, in which the fetus floats un-concerned... but then the focus on the left made me feel uneasy, as if I were pulled in an un-natural direction...

Is the scan color pretty true?

I look forward to seeing other posters' comments and your re-actions.

claudiam
07-18-2001, 02:47 AM
I like the juxtaposition of the realistic fetus and abstract shapes around it. The jagged edges and artificiality of the shapes seem disturbing, but not in any clear-cut way, so the painting keeps my eyes moving about its surface.

A very compelling work!:clap:

ZOTMA
07-18-2001, 05:07 AM
I can't get my head away from reading those shapes as shattered glass. The fetus is still connected to something from the top and the same colors are receeding from below like it's been recently severed. Strange because it looks calm otherwise. There is a warm light on the subject and the fact it's source is from the right (off canvas) satisfies the composition for me (feeling like something is there just off the canvas).

You pegged the needle on the ! meter when I opened this (that doesn't happen hardly ever). Undecided what emotional response you got from me but you got one to be sure along with thoughts.

ArtyHelen
07-18-2001, 07:46 AM
The hand-like protrusion from the bottom of the baby made me think abortion. :(

But I love the right side of the painting - all the energy.

Interesting.

Helen

jerryW
07-18-2001, 07:59 AM
I like this piece a lot.
the sections of womb that appear to be broken glass are refractions/diffractions of energy through the amnion.
In this the womb is flattened, and the amnion is the ether or space filled of the mother's energy extending to and separating the foetus from other realities.

dornberg
07-18-2001, 09:53 AM
everything runs to the left object
yet, your division between red and blue is a line crossing these paths
and your change to yellow, is away from the center of attention

jheinrich
07-18-2001, 03:41 PM
dornberg: I don't understand if you mean your comments as problem or praise ... could you clarify for me? Do you think the change to yellow might be placed differently to better effect?

jerryw: exactly. thank you.

artyhelen: hand? :confused: I don't see what you mean. I figured some would think abortion, I didn't intend it, hence the title "Womb" ...

zotma: shattered glass ... I can see that, which definitely brings violent thoughts ... rather piquant contrast, next to the calmness of the embryo. Interested in more of your thoughts, if you care to share.

claudiam: I try to combine the realism/abstract realms a lot, it rarely works, lol. This one began as an abstract for the sake of abstraction, when I was done, the fetus was so obvious and compelling I had to paint it.

maria gusta: disturbing. seems so ... interesting. Yes, the color is very disappointing in this scan, it's a pure vermillion in the red areas, if you know that color, and the blues are more varied and deeper, plus there are glazes of umber and yellow that don't come through at all.

thank you all for takin' the time to speak your mind ...

j*

ArtyHelen
07-18-2001, 04:02 PM
Hi J,

I see the hands as outlined (badly) below:

Firstly, someone's left hand pulling at the foetus:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2001/jnet1.jpg

And also a rather darker more evil right hand:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2001/jnet2.jpg

I realise now that this wasn't your intention, but it's just the way I saw it!

Helen

wendee
07-18-2001, 08:21 PM
I saw exactually what ArtyHelen saw...abortion....Oh well..

ronin
07-19-2001, 12:40 AM
I like this......very different. Are you using plastic to get your textures? I dig them. Doesnt look like abortion to me. More like looking into the womb.

Fagan
07-19-2001, 12:47 AM
Pretty kewl stuff!! I like the way you have the colors refracted (is that a word?) It does remind me of a stained glass window. I also saw the hand and arm although I did not go so far as Helen with the evil arm/hand! *laugh*

jheinrich
07-19-2001, 11:38 AM
ronin: it's acrylic, pure plastic :D but that's not what you meant, eh? Yes, I use cellophane to create these chaotic backgrounds.

helen, wendee, fagan: *shrug* I didn't want abortion, but I think that's why this reads disturbing to people, and I sure see the reasons for seeing it that way ... sall cool

thanks for all your replies.

j*