PDA

View Full Version : Nightscape #3

PisseArtiste
08-26-2019, 06:10 PM
Hi everyone

I've been working on a series of nightscapes, here is number 3, acrylic with a small amount of pastels on 8x5" acrylic paper. Comments or critiques are welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2019/2124251-image.jpeg

PisseArtiste
08-27-2019, 01:25 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2019/2124251-NightScape3.jpg

Sorry, this should have been the image at the top.

Artchrispy
08-28-2019, 08:12 AM
I like it a lot. I'd be tempted to give it a glossy varnish so it would have a more glossy photo paper finish and an airy atmosphere, if that makes sense. It's very moody and mysterious.

PisseArtiste
08-28-2019, 06:11 PM
I like it a lot. I'd be tempted to give it a glossy varnish so it would have a more glossy photo paper finish and an airy atmosphere, if that makes sense. It's very moody and mysterious.

Thanks Christopher, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. That's a great idea, it's currently in a clear bag which gives it a nice glossy look but it will obviously lose that when framed.

Is there a glossy varnish that I can use with pastel? I always varnish my acrylic and oil paintings and for a while I did use fixative on my mix media/pastel work until recently when my Windsor and Newton spray destroyed one of my pieces so I've quickly stopped using it and instead store them behind glass or glassine.

Artchrispy
08-28-2019, 06:57 PM
Thanks Christopher, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. That's a great idea, it's currently in a clear bag which gives it a nice glossy look but it will obviously lose that when framed.

Is there a glossy varnish that I can use with pastel? I always varnish my acrylic and oil paintings and for a while I did use fixative on my mix media/pastel work until recently when my Windsor and Newton spray destroyed one of my pieces so I've quickly stopped using it and instead store them behind glass or glassine.
Oh sorry I missed the pastel in the description. I don't see why you can't use an acrylic varnish over a fixed pastel. I once painted with charcoal powder suspended in clear acrylic medium(which is like varnish) You could carefully brush acrylic medium over the pastel but it might smudge some and show brush strokes. But framing under glass will give it a varnished look anyway. If you try spraying the fixative I guess you have to hold the can at least 12 inches away and let the spray waif down so not to blast the pastel.

PisseArtiste
08-29-2019, 01:33 PM
Oh sorry I missed the pastel in the description. I don't see why you can't use an acrylic varnish over a fixed pastel. I once painted with charcoal powder suspended in clear acrylic medium(which is like varnish) You could carefully brush acrylic medium over the pastel but it might smudge some and show brush strokes. But framing under glass will give it a varnished look anyway. If you try spraying the fixative I guess you have to hold the can at least 12 inches away and let the spray waif down so not to blast the pastel.

That's very interesting, I will definitely try this. Thanks for the tips. I've also heard spectra fix is pretty good too as a fixative but I've not tried it yet. I have a feeling I broke the 12 inch rule when I massacred my painting.

hmshood5
09-04-2019, 06:59 PM
Looks like a nightmare from which one can't wake up

PisseArtiste
09-04-2019, 07:30 PM
Looks like a nightmare from which one can't wake up

Thanks for taking the time out to write this hmshood5, I really enjoyed reading this interpretation.

Hairy wolf
09-05-2019, 02:42 AM
I really like this one. Dark and dreary.