PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for Barry

simon levenson
07-17-2001, 03:34 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2001/WaitingforBarry.jpg
"Waiting for Barry" 18"x24" Oil on Canvas July 2001
Hey everyone, I just finished and sold this! I also lost the entire contents of my hardrive two days ago. So if anyone wants to be on my emailing list please send and email to [email protected].com Thanks Guys!

ZOTMA
07-17-2001, 04:35 PM
what a palette, very exciting application too. I like the narrative. congrats on the sale, sorry about your drive diving.

jerryW
07-17-2001, 09:51 PM
I am taking the libderty of deleting the trite comment that I had made before and reposting what I feel is important about this piece.

color

lots of fresh clean/restrained and deliberate color

little dots

big dots

and a few articulate and prosaic geometries including
an innocuous figure that steals the show and hardly impacts the extraordinary colorful construction all around him.

simon levenson
07-18-2001, 02:07 AM
Thank you Zotma.

Thank you too Jerry for taking the time to come back and rewrite.

I am sure I am reading into it too much but I was curious as to why this piece is seeming to get so few responses. Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks,
Simon

Impulse
07-18-2001, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by simon levenson

I am sure I am reading into it too much but I was curious as to why this piece is seeming to get so few responses. Any ideas would be welcome.

It's July
Less people spend less time at the computer
but

This piece is complex
Complex array of colors in that they are unusual
and some are repeated in an unexpected rythm accross the whole canvas (like your signature purple reading light)
The shapes are complex and packed in tight
Trees with lots of leaves and lots of colors, buildings with unique colors intermingling, and fences ... very dense and not much relief by way of open space (except for the roof tops that lead the eye no where)
It's hard to see and when you see it it's hard to get the brain to do its job of understanding what it's looking easily until you stop to take time to appreciate
On a site that moves this fast the look might be moving at a different pace ...

I tried.

simon levenson
07-18-2001, 02:20 AM
Thank you Impulse!

Maria Gusta
07-18-2001, 02:26 AM
vibrant! Refreshing. Bursting with color. Life just happens around ordinary lives - the figure anchors the scene for me. And I love the steeple and gazebo roofs!

Ruth
07-18-2001, 05:08 AM
Wow! Simon's back with his purples. Love that lavender all through the painting. :D

The color scheme is so dominantly cool, even the golds and oranges are cooled a little, I just keep looking for a spot or two of rich red-orange for contrast.

:evil: I'm always finding faces. The tower on the left looks like a man with pointy hat, button nose, and green handlebar moustache! :evil:

I am really not qualified to critique your work, just admire it.

Ruth

dornberg
07-18-2001, 10:14 AM
i agree with impulse
i tried viewing this last night and couldn't comment
i think this is essentially an abstract play of colors, dark light, patterns and rhythms
the two structures are very precise, and out of character of what i think i see in the rest,
so the level of viewing approach becomes a little confusing

simon levenson
07-18-2001, 10:54 AM
Maria Gusta
Life just happens around ordinary lives
That is exactly what this painting means to me. I think that in New York City this happens in a unique way. Because there are so many things and so much beauty (to me) one sorta just functions normally while they stand before or are in such a lush encironment. The figure is the anchor.

Ruth, I think anyone can critique artwork. There are different levels, like technical or emotional.

Impulse and Dornberg, AH HA! I knew it (I think) As silly as it seems I think of this place (wet canvas) sometimes while i am working, and I thought, people are gonna say that this is too busy or confusing, or that it has no focul point...
Finally I got to saying "O.K."

For me the painting reads about being human in a busy world.

Thank you all.

RuthT
07-18-2001, 11:48 AM
A lovely atmospheric painting SL. All that activity in the trees and bushes behind, and the quiet figure in front. Took me back to a visit with friends in the 60s. Had seen downtown NY on conferences, but my friends took me for a walk one evening. I was surprised by the trees and outdoor cafes and very real sense of 'neighborhood' Then I thought to myself 'this probably isn't New York' even though it brought my visit there back so vividly. Was pleased to see in your replies that indeed it is :)

NorahT
07-18-2001, 02:04 PM
This is a beautiful piece. I stop to look at it any time I go through this forum. I have never responded here as I feel that generally speaking I am not qualified to do so; I just like to go through and see all the goodies. However, I want you to know that it does elicit a positive response - maybe there are more like me who are just awestruck :) :)

simon levenson
07-19-2001, 01:13 AM
I was surprised by the trees and outdoor cafes and very real sense of 'neighborhood'
This to me is my new york, i am glad people are seeing it.
Thanks Nora

Ruth, I believe that all people are qualified to make comments about art if they are truly speaking about their heart!

mclaughlin
07-19-2001, 07:18 AM
I don't know Barry, but I sure would spend some time waiting inside your creation. It looks wonderful

dollardays
07-19-2001, 10:39 AM
Vivid, stunning, chaotic, yet filled with harmony! I love it and I can see why it sold so quickly!

Congrats! Nora

Chuck
07-19-2001, 10:55 AM
Spots of color (foreground) over flat background create an interesting and effective feeling of depth!

Miltz
07-19-2001, 02:38 PM
Good piece, Simon, and congratulations on the sale!

I can really see the impressionistic influence you mentioned, this is pretty radically different from your older, strongly structured paintings. The courage to take these color chances is to be applauded, it frankly eludes me.

I wonder ir Rita Monaco has seen this post yet, and what she thinks of these new colorist works of yours?

Rock on!

arourapope
07-19-2001, 07:44 PM
Hey!
Well, I don't know why others haven't posted to this, but this is the first time I've really gotten a chance to hang out in this forum in a looooong time. Simon, it is busy.......but it works. Lots of stuff going on here, but you've pulled it all together into a wonderful cohesive whole, with that one guy in front anchoring the choir.
Awesome work, as usual!:D
Congrats on the sale!!!!!
Aurora

Gavinart
07-19-2001, 08:18 PM
Simon,

Amazing painting. Is that the Actor's Church? I really enjoy the clusters of trees and the man in the foreground is perfectly rendered for this scene. The hint of facial features and the legs on this man are a beautiful thing

Lovely work, for real.

Impulse
07-19-2001, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by simon levenson

Impulse and Dornberg, AH HA! I knew it (I think) As silly as it seems I think of this place (wet canvas) sometimes while i am working, and I thought, people are gonna say that this is too busy or confusing, or that it has no focul point...
Finally I got to saying "O.K."

For me the painting reads about being human in a busy world.

sorry to disappoint Simon
i don't think it is too busy
i think it is complex
requires savouring
some wines go down fast
some need to be swished
before they can be appreciated
some hit their peak in the aftertaste

it isn't too busy (whatever that means)

rsmak
07-20-2001, 10:48 AM
It is nice,I think if the top area of white is colored,it will look more harmony.
rosanna