PDA

View Full Version : red moon

La_
08-17-2019, 09:28 PM
so i'm doing a thing
a monochromatic red thing

did you know, if you work an all red painting for a while, when you look at your hands they seem a ghastly green:eek:.

creepy yet temporary :thumbsup:

first image, red, 16x20, oils, parked in drying mode

second image, greyscaled

3/4 image is enhance with high contrast and saturation and is where i want to push values,

but the red, well, is it too psychedelic?

it's screaming at me ..:clear:... perhaps i need a 2nd red

open discussion of the matter is encouraged http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2019/84648-clarify.gif

la http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2019/84648-hmm.gif

KreativeK
08-17-2019, 10:48 PM
It is not too psychedelic I donít think. I like it.

birdhs
08-18-2019, 10:48 AM
Pushing the intensity creates a stronger feeling of a passionate story line.
There are several ways to go, the values are good
the hue of red changes the meaning: cranberry, rose, fire engine, pink, each flavor changes the cookie.

Taking the greyscale and playing with a photoshop-type program changeling this great composition could keep you busy for hours with all the possible variations

great piece of Fine Art

trufflecat
08-18-2019, 01:00 PM
Yes, the higher contrast version is better. But agree the higher saturation of the red is a bit 'much'. Adding different reds might work, or simply toning the red down. I find the monochromatic effect quite interesting, and I like the overall concept and composition.

ronsu18
08-18-2019, 07:14 PM
it is good!
i also like the enhanced version, and since i'm always layering, thinking layers.
not as entire areas, but to enhance separation of form. only where necessary, only where edges meet or where shadow meets light. following natural light behaviour that brings darker outlines, strait' outta tube lemon, cad middle, naples, in the faintest manner along edges, let dry then bring the same red on top of the yellows. safe testing necessary! the monochrome works, that way the red would be visible everywhere yet different.

Artchrispy
08-18-2019, 09:24 PM
I like the reddest red manipulation. To me b&w and monochromes should be pushed to the extremes for contrast, and the higher saturation red painting has a wider range of red values so therefore more dimension.

Eraethil
08-20-2019, 03:16 AM
I think you could go for the high saturation and stronger value contrast. I suspect that high saturation is not entirely achievable in paint (cad red light or quin red) but you could get close. And even if you did get all the way there, you could knock it back a bit with other reds if it was still screaming at you. :)

La_
08-21-2019, 11:37 AM
thanks all, for the votes and tips
distractions abound ... little progress with paint... yet ...

la

bhindi
08-21-2019, 01:13 PM
I think the higher saturation red is lovely. Monochrome paintings are a tricky thing.. some colors like red and pink really do scream passion and fire and loud and will stand out nicely in a room.

hmshood5
08-21-2019, 01:19 PM
Striking colors... puts one at ease!