View Full Version : Okay people I have no idea how to do this

mame
07-17-2001, 08:56 AM
I don't even know what a jpeg is.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2001/WPM09DD.jpg

ArtyHelen
07-17-2001, 09:48 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2001/mame.jpg

There we are, mame, I saved it, resized it and uploaded again.

I really like this. (And it looks like we share the same surname - is that Hill?)

Helen

And a detail of the faces because they're wonderful:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2001/mame2.jpg

as is the bird:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2001/mame3.jpg

mame
07-17-2001, 09:55 AM
thank you oh goddess of cyberspace.

ArtyHelen
07-17-2001, 09:59 AM
:D

bbbilly1326
07-17-2001, 01:22 PM
I love it....

Bill

AmyH
07-17-2001, 01:44 PM
beautiful. its like a jewel. the repetition of patterns, the shape of the shoes and the dressers and the heads and eggs keeps my eye moving al over it. the bird is fab. not that im particularly fond of birds ;)

amy

Roan
07-17-2001, 02:49 PM
Helen/Mame,

When you upload jpgs, please ensure you save them as medium (5, if your program needs a number) rather than high (10) resolution formats. Both those jpgs were over 200k each. I've resized them and uploaded.

Thanks!

Roan

ZOTMA
07-17-2001, 03:06 PM
this is intriguingly composed with the couple shaped as a scale weighing their 'chicken and egg'. The subjects two faces of the challenge of balance. The portal mimiced by the table with another self important egg. The patterning and palette are rich. I especially like the fingers on the right side of the canvas (jk).

mame
07-17-2001, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Roan
Helen/Mame,

When you upload jpgs, please ensure you save them as medium (5, if your program needs a number) rather than high (10) resolution formats. Both those jpgs were over 200k each. I've resized them and uploaded.

Thanks!

Roan

You mean you didn't want to see a painting the size of New Zealand? My first foray into posting pics. Artyhelen was kind enough to fix it. I'll just keep repeating medium 5, medium 5, medium 5...

Txs all for your patience.

jerryW
07-17-2001, 09:43 PM
this is wacky and stunning
I am very delighted to see it!
looking forward to see ing more from your body of work and works in progress.

domsanto
07-17-2001, 09:57 PM
Wonderful!

Amy, said all the stuff I was going to say about the repitition of pattern,etc..Your composition is very pleasing to the eye.

JaneS
07-17-2001, 10:44 PM
...the way this painting clings to the edges.... the strap the one child is holding, and the narrow bit showing of the chest of drawers mirrorred on the other side.... It creates a kind of tension, and sense of being trapped inside with those two children. Just a hard painting to walk away from. Show us more, Mame!
---Jane

Roan
07-18-2001, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by mame
You mean you didn't want to see a painting the size of New Zealand? My first foray into posting pics. Artyhelen was kind enough to fix it. I'll just keep repeating medium 5, medium 5, medium 5...

ROFL! New Zealand would make a great painting :)

Helen fixed the overall size (cut it back to 500 pixels max), but saved it as high resolution jpg that was over 202k in size. Between the two images the thread was absolutely huge and took a while to load :)

Cherie
07-18-2001, 12:28 AM
Fabulous! The color...WOW!

I want more....................:D

ArtyHelen
07-18-2001, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Roan
Helen fixed the overall size (cut it back to 500 pixels max), but saved it as high resolution jpg that was over 202k in size.

Oops! I do all of mine like that, too!
:o
Will try to do better in future, Miss! ;)

Thanx Eileen!

Helen

Roan
07-18-2001, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by ArtyHelen
Oops! I do all of mine like that, too!

I know, but they've never been *that* big :)

Will try to do better in future, Miss! ;)

Natch, I didn't even want to say anything except it this time it was humungous and would deter people from looking at mame's painting. I hope she doesn't take my post wrong :(

mame
07-18-2001, 08:32 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments.

Seeing this particular piece through your eyes has given me a very interesting and welcomed fresh perspective.

Much of your work posted here serves as inspiration for my own.

Enjoyed this experience very much!

Roan - NO offense! I have no ego re my computer dunce-isity!Txs again for fixing.

Txs again, everybody.

Gavinart
07-18-2001, 10:25 PM
The bird makes the painting!

ftb
07-19-2001, 08:24 PM
I love these people! I dont know how to explain their faces are great..

SDavy
07-19-2001, 08:49 PM
:clap: :clap:
Wow- I am crazy for this! The subject- the colors, and their shoes! It's so wonderful that every element is interesting on its own, and makes up such a wonderful whole! I want more, too!

Impulse
07-19-2001, 10:45 PM
i finally found AmyH's long lost twin sister

this is great stuff
hillarious
a delicious sense of
humor
both in paint and shapes

;)

mame
07-20-2001, 09:16 AM
Impulse - Now you can see why I'm so crazy about Amy's work. She's the evil twin, though(hehe).

SDavy and ftb - txs for comments. Don't have scanning equipment so am not a frequent poster here in Critiques. Have a couple of pics at this site if you care to see. Not great scans but you can get an idea.

http://www.stewart-gallery.com/

mclaughlin
07-20-2001, 11:04 AM
Hi Mame,

your picture (and your work in the Online Steward Gallery) created a strange feeling inside of me. All over sudden I was sure, that this old world isn't all that bad...and melancholy should take a dive.

Crazy, gotta get a coffee and think about it.

Thanks for the impulse and showing your outstanding
work

Heimo

SDavy
07-20-2001, 11:44 AM
Mame- I so love this painting, I made both my daughters look at it- and I am crazy about it, as were they- especially the younger (13 yrs old) I see no website address. How can I/we see more? I am so interested in your vision, and execution!
Stephanie

pampe
07-20-2001, 12:03 PM
It's magical......

I am there.....swept away by the faces.....

Thank you for sharing!

mame
07-20-2001, 05:49 PM
Thank you all so much.

SDavy - a couple of pics here:

http://www.stewart-gallery.com/

Kids seem to like this stuff. I don't know why...

sassybird
07-21-2001, 07:15 AM
Dear Miss M

This is your old friend sass. I am not surprised that you are doing so well in the sales dept after seeing this. The colors, texture, and patterns are eye catching together and alone. I separated the painting with a piece of paper over the screen. I love that bird! You go girl ;)

mame
07-21-2001, 09:22 AM
Oh pshaw! Thank you.

There's a thread over in Debates re artistic vision and it got me think about that struggle we all encounter re making our own work and making work we think someone might want to have.

I took the road that said "just make your own work, let the rest take care of itself and don't worry about it" This seems to work for me.

Really enjoying seeing your prolific output here!

Chuck
07-21-2001, 09:32 AM
Iíve enjoyed many Mame comments at WC but, this is the first painting, by you, that Iíve found. Very impressive work! I look forward to seeing more.

mame
07-21-2001, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Chuck
Iíve enjoyed many Mame comments at WC but, this is the first painting, by you, that Iíve found. Very impressive work! I look forward to seeing more.

Ditto, Chuck. Am one of your big fans (although I don't comment much). Never could resist an exquisite colorist.

Love your tiny head. Have you seen the work of contemporary Chinest artist, Xu Mangyao? Don't know if anything on the internet but will check it out. Think you might find his figures "coming through walls" interesting.

dodger
07-22-2001, 01:37 AM
Very compelling, Mame...I also checked out your work on the gallery site, especially liked "Reunion". lol!
Wonderful mood.

mame
07-22-2001, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by dodger
Very compelling, Mame...I also checked out your work on the gallery site, especially liked "Reunion". lol!
Wonderful mood.

Txs Judy. Find your work intriguing and fresh as well re flat, color field like areas of color w/3 dimensional landscape. Think you're on to something.

simon levenson
07-22-2001, 02:42 PM
ok mame,
i have looked at this piece 47 times and have never known what to say. i still have no idea what to say. i am in wonderment of this painting. it moves me to childhoods i never even had, moments in books that were read to me, that in memory existed but in fact are only books. this is either where i once lived or where i want to live or.....
the levels of paint and meaning overlap to me and make the painting that much richer and i think i am richer for having seen your visions. i looked at your other work and i feel the same way.

thank you.

mame
07-22-2001, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by simon levenson
ok mame,
i have looked at this piece 47 times and have never known what to say. i still have no idea what to say. i am in wonderment of this painting. it moves me to childhoods i never even had, moments in books that were read to me, that in memory existed but in fact are only books. this is either where i once lived or where i want to live or.....
the levels of paint and meaning overlap to me and make the painting that much richer and i think i am richer for having seen your visions. i looked at your other work and i feel the same way.

thank you.

Simon, will you marry me?

I have long been a secret admirerer of your work here at WC and furtive visits to your web site but I get a little shy with the great art makers. I am humbled and highly complimented by your time and interest in my work.

domsanto
07-22-2001, 08:23 PM
Our very first WetCanvas marriage.

Will you have an open bar at the reception?

simon levenson
07-22-2001, 08:24 PM
Mame
Yes I will.
Simon

domsanto
07-22-2001, 08:26 PM
Open bar?

ZOTMA
07-22-2001, 08:37 PM
so that's how it's done
damn

leesmith
07-22-2001, 08:43 PM
Hi Mame,

I don't know what possessed you to post this but it is LONNNNGGG overdue! After reading your many posts and displays of wry and dry wit and humour, I've been DYING of curiosity to see your work. This I can get into, the imagery, multi patterns and repetition of shapes, and RED my favorite color and subject are way past norm and IMMENSELY satisfying to view ENDLESSLY. Simon said it all, he's a poet as well as an artist and CONGRATS on the upcoming nuptials! ;) I can't say enough about this painting how it affects me, it is something I would want hanging smack in my LR forever, could I but just afford a painting like this! Please post MORE!

Lee

domsanto
07-22-2001, 09:27 PM
Open bar?

Don't make me bring my brown paper bag with a 40 ouncer of Coors Light.

mame
07-22-2001, 09:35 PM
(laughing hysterically - txs Dom Dimento for ruining my special moment! For that YOU have to bartend)

Simon - shall we ask Scott to officiate?

See Zotma? It's easy. Now back off. I saw him (asked) first.

mame
07-22-2001, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by leesmith
Hi Mame,

I don't know what possessed you to post this but it is LONNNNGGG overdue! After reading your many posts and displays of wry and dry wit and humour, I've been DYING of curiosity to see your work. This I can get into, the imagery, multi patterns and repetition of shapes, and RED my favorite color and subject are way past norm and IMMENSELY satisfying to view ENDLESSLY. Simon said it all, he's a poet as well as an artist and CONGRATS on the upcoming nuptials! ;) I can't say enough about this painting how it affects me, it is something I would want hanging smack in my LR forever, could I but just afford a painting like this! Please post MORE!

Lee

Lee - thank you so much! Although it doesn't show I'm pretty shy with the work. I'd rather not be there when/where it's seen. Ya know? But had a chance to take a pic with a digital camera so jumped in...

Do you want to be a bridesmaid? I'm designing dresses as we speak.

leesmith
07-23-2001, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by mame

Lee - thank you so much! Although it doesn't show I'm pretty shy with the work. I'd rather not be there when/where it's seen. Ya know? But had a chance to take a pic with a digital camera so jumped in...

Do you want to be a bridesmaid? I'm designing dresses as we speak.

LOL, Mame, you "shy" about work but just proposed online! :D

I would be honored to be a bridesmaid . . . Just make my dress OMG size!:eek:

Lee

AmyH
07-23-2001, 03:34 PM
simon and mame, sitting in a tree...you know the rest ;)

amy :evil: twin

djstar
07-23-2001, 11:21 PM
:crying:
sniff, and I thought it was ME you wanted....
dj*
(but I love the picture, makes me want to marry you too....)

domsanto
07-24-2001, 12:01 AM
Hey! Our first WetCanvas love triangle.

AmyH
07-24-2001, 03:23 AM
like sands through the hourglass...you know the rest.

amy :evil: twin

Alifrank
07-24-2001, 05:53 AM
" or forever hold your peace"... a mysterious stranger staggers in from lurkdom, sunburned and ragged.. "Wait a minute!"

Just wanted to say I love your paintings too. Brava!

Ok, the show can go on.
Unless Mame wants to elope to foreign climes...

mame
07-24-2001, 09:56 AM
sigh...ZotMA, djstar...two hot babes. Not sure I can compete with that.
Can only hope Simon, the sensitive poet/great artist will "see" through all that surface glitz and hot babeness and choose rightly - inner beauty and a damn good cook.

alfrank. Hmmmm. Italy, very tempting but even this romantic proposal cannot quell this Simon- yearning heart (well, unless he renages and then I'll call you. Stay on the line...)

YLCIA
07-24-2001, 11:25 AM
Mame, I come back to see your painting a zillion times !I did not comment before, just wanted to know what makes me want to see it again and again. It is like a magnet, has this bewitching effect on me...Thank you for posting it , it is amazing .

simon levenson
07-24-2001, 11:35 AM
Wow dj and mame and an open bar and brides maids... uh oh....
well i say the more the merrier or is it marrier or marry her
anyway, something you should know about me before we proceed:
I often disappear, I need to FEEL free even if I am not. I don't like cilantro, salmon skin sushi, or people on cell phones.
I kill flies but not spiders, I am still not all growed up yet
I always think I am both better and worse than I am
I am not sure what ever happened to tab or fresca
I am a virgo, i wear no jewelry and ....
that's it.

mame
07-24-2001, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by simon levenson
Wow dj and mame and an open bar and brides maids... uh oh....
well i say the more the merrier or is it marrier or marry her
anyway, something you should know about me before we proceed:
I often disappear, I need to FEEL free even if I am not. I don't like cilantro, salmon skin sushi, or people on cell phones.
I kill flies but not spiders, I am still not all growed up yet
I always think I am both better and worse than I am
I am not sure what ever happened to tab or fresca
I am a virgo, i wear no jewelry and ....
that's it.

I'm in love...

mame
07-24-2001, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by YLCIA
Mame, I come back to see your painting a zillion times !I did not comment before, just wanted to know what makes me want to see it again and again. It is like a magnet, has this bewitching effect on me...Thank you for posting it , it is amazing .

I know things have gotten a little weird here...

I don't know the answer. Your response is good enough for me. Thank you.

Nathan Reed
07-24-2001, 04:47 PM
The confidence in colors, textures and patterns are remarkable.
Great composition.

Impulse
07-25-2001, 11:04 PM
Domsanto - it's a quadrangle (I think)

I suppose electronic bigamy can work

If any one knows of a reason why
these four should not be joined in
holy matrimony, let them write now
or forever hold their "piece"

seeing no objections

By the power vested in me

I now pronounce you Simon,
you Zotma, you DJ and you Mame
spouse, spouse, spouse and spouse

you may kiss the screen

ZOTMA
07-26-2001, 01:56 AM
Okay, back the truck up.
I said 'oh that's how it's done' you know, just saying 'yes' and badda boom badda bing....you're married
I was just admiring the efficiency since recently being proposed to myself. No offense, Simon sweet, but I've got my hands full:evil:
Dj, Mame........have your way with him.:D

mame
07-26-2001, 09:00 AM
First, my apologies to all those serious Critique posters who would prefer this love fest die, but...

Zotma - congrats on your impending nuptuals. I am relieved however as things were getting a bit crowded and studio space is tight...

Move over Dom. Impulse gets the stand up comic of the day prize. Very, very funny!

Okay, now, do I give a ring to everybody? And do we all move in with Simon?

Totem
07-26-2001, 11:16 AM
Four artists in one house.... Sounds like an episode of survivor. :) Living with one is bad enough. hehehe ;) No offense Zotma... :D

Speaking of your upcoming nuptuals, does that mean I get to give you away????? :evil: Or am I the best man??? :)

Totem

djstar
07-26-2001, 11:47 AM
Dom, we have space.....
(He seems like a man who knows how to thrown a party.
We can move out there on the beach!!)
dj*

mame
07-26-2001, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by djstar
Dom, we have space.....
(He seems like a man who knows how to thrown a party.
We can move out there on the beach!!)
dj*

Simon - is this okay with you? Keep your New Your flat, though. We'll need it for major exhibitions "in the City".

dj - We'll have to marry Dom's wife too. Might as well reconsider alifrank's proposal, too. We could summer in Italy.

Alifrank - Do you have a good supply of Merlot?

djstar
07-26-2001, 11:16 PM
And we have to bring my ocd boyfriend and his kids and Mariko. Did you think this would be easy?!?!?
Hey, do you paint anymore? I liked the site and I can help with your jpgs too...
Post new and we can continue this over there...
he he he :D
dj*

mame
07-26-2001, 11:44 PM
YES! I've got one now my daughter scanned from a slide.

It is [email protected]%(RGB). Have no idea what this and I am clueless how to re-size.

Sandi
07-27-2001, 12:36 AM
Mame, I'm just like Simon, in that I haven't figured out what I want to say with this piece. Suffice to say, I am in awe.

psssst, Simon. Virgo/Virgo's are the perfect match.... and I'm a Virgo that hates sushi, loves freedom, and has loved your posts since day one too. :) Oh, but my Piceas hubby might be a problem. But then again, he's no Sean Connery ..... (who's also a Virgo. Dang! This is getting complicated! Dom!! Bring an extra bottle with ya pretty pretty please. ).

mame
07-27-2001, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Sandi
Mame, I'm just like Simon, in that I haven't figured out what I want to say with this piece. Suffice to say, I am in awe.

psssst, Simon. Virgo/Virgo's are the perfect match.... and I'm a Virgo that hates sushi, loves freedom, and has loved your posts since day one too. :) Oh, but my Piceas hubby might be a problem. But then again, he's no Sean Connery ..... (who's also a Virgo. Dang! This is getting complicated! Dom!! Bring an extra bottle with ya pretty pretty please. ).

Thank you Sandi.

And, oh, just bring him (your husband). What's one more.

Impulse, we need another ceremony, please. And more booze, Dom. Simon, don't take the tux back to the rental yet.

Who can sing "Feelings"?

domsanto
07-27-2001, 12:50 AM
Wow! our very first WetCanvas commune.

ZOTMA
07-27-2001, 01:01 AM
I'll sing 'Feelings' it's the least I can do (and I still want to come to the party, actually a commune is sounding pretty good)
Can I sing it William Shatner style?

mame
07-27-2001, 01:17 AM
You're on Zotma and Dom can harmonize Barry Manlow style.

Hey can somebody resize a pic if I post it so maybe the husbands might show up and everybody won't get mad about our love fest in the middle of Critiques?

everetto
07-27-2001, 01:31 AM
Mame,

Your paintings are absolutely spell-binding. This is the sort of intuitive, raw impact I like to see. As has been mentioned, your use of pattern & color is great. Truly, this painting has been one of my very favorites here at wc- You have managed to tap into your individual, deeply personal 'vision' so well that, as two people have pointed out, it leaves the viewer speechless/ in awe!..and I do think it is because we recognize something in our own selves- just not sure why; but the how, I believe, is that you obey your intuition.

Concerning the proposal to Zotma, I'd just like to say that I have absolutely no knowledge of the matter whatsoever.

Alifrank
07-27-2001, 06:26 AM
Wha--? I come back ( a little late) and the deed is done! Oh well, I couldn't really propose anyhow since I'm a girl-- but 10,000 hot- blooded Italians were about to stand in for me.
Sure, bring the show over, just leave those artist-black clothes home and stay away from Genoa.
No Merlot, lots of Chianti!

mame
07-27-2001, 08:26 AM
Humble thanks, Everetto.

djstar
07-27-2001, 11:52 AM
( I am hunting down your pix. (Or have your daughter email it to me - I may even look at the boards a little this morning... Yawn! Just woke up.)
dj*