PDA

View Full Version : Restoration of a historical masterwork

My Beloved Muse
07-10-2019, 11:53 PM
Hello everyone,

This is one of my first postings to the pastel forum.

Having recently gone back to using and really enjoying pastels, I found myself searching for videos on Maurice Quentin de la Tour, the golden age master portraitist. I found a suite of five videos detailing the restoration of his portrait of the Marquise de Pompadour. It's an enormous piece for a pastel and having viewed the painting nearly twenty years ago in person, I was happy to see so many details of it again, even through a computer screen.

For those that enjoy the history of this medium as well as the craft involved, these videos may be a treat.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDrcAvSyiwzPF51BdOw3D8OxRtX3tiIG5

Enjoy!

Mamalynn
07-13-2019, 03:00 PM
These videos are absolutely fascinating. I couldn't get over how he pieced together so many smaller pieces of paper to produce this magnificent masterpiece. Thanks for posting!!!

My Beloved Muse
07-14-2019, 10:41 AM
You are quite welcome. Yes, the piecing together of papers was fascinating. I was thrilled to see so many close-ups. Viewing the videos has only increased my respect for de la Tour.

*Deirdre*
07-31-2019, 07:15 PM
So, so beutifully painted...and restored...well worth watching...thank you!

kcwhitney
08-01-2019, 07:14 AM
Very interesting.Thanks for posting.

Deb F
08-03-2019, 06:49 PM
Thanks so much for posting this. I had no idea this piece was so large.

My Beloved Muse
08-04-2019, 07:03 PM
From what I've read, de la Tour used this portrait to blow away competing portrait painters, and was keen to show that pastel could rival oil painting, including in scale. No surprise that he grabbed most of the portait commissions in Paris at the time. I'd love to know what he used to mount his papers to that stretched canvas.

John