PDA

View Full Version : Ruth 1 & 2 for "Ruth" Project

TeAnne
07-17-2001, 07:26 AM
This was the first one, coloured pencils on light grey Mi-teintes. (First time I've used this with cp's. Yuk) Poor Ruth looks like she has seen a ghost. :evil:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2001/ruth2.jpg
This was the second one, I like this one better, seems a lot looser. I love Charcoal :) This is on the Bristol.

Ruth
07-17-2001, 07:52 AM
Hi TeAnne,

I like the second one better, too. :clap: Don't you just love charcoal! You got a good likeness the second time. The nose is too sharp in the first one. The second one is softer and has a good expression too.

I especially like the eyes!

Good job!

Ruth

TeAnne
07-17-2001, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Ruth
Hi TeAnne,

I like the second one better, too. :clap: Don't you just love charcoal! You got a good likeness the second time. The nose is too sharp in the first one. The second one is softer and has a good expression too.

I especially like the eyes!

Good job!

Ruth Coooooool, thanks Ruth, so glad you like one of them :D :) I got to know your face better with the second one. :D

sandge
07-17-2001, 08:44 AM
Yep the second one works for me, too. :D

I love the 'painterly' way you have used the charcoal on the second one and the contrasting marks. Also, the tonal values are a bit kinder to the subject on the second one with the darkest darks reserved for the hair and defining some lines. The tonal values in the first seem a bit little bit harsh - perhaps if you used a colour rather than white?

Great job, though! :D

Chuck
07-17-2001, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by TeAnne
Coooooool, thanks Ruth, so glad you like one of them I got to know your face better with the second one.

What is very COOL is that you're using Ruth's "tiny head" as a model. I too like the b&w better. You may want to check the (b&w) left side of her mouth...it extends, to an area, under her eye.

TeAnne
07-17-2001, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by sandrafletcher
Yep the second one works for me, too. :D

I love the 'painterly' way you have used the charcoal on the second one and the contrasting marks. Also, the tonal values are a bit kinder to the subject on the second one with the darkest darks reserved for the hair and defining some lines. The tonal values in the first seem a bit little bit harsh - perhaps if you used a colour rather than white?

Great job, though! :D Thanks Sandra, I was going to use the black paper but I got a pad of the Mi-Teintes the other day and thought I might as well try it. It really did put me off, just like white paper does when I want to use colour. lolol Very strange. Would you believe that it is pink and not white? lolol My scanner sux too. I still might do the black paper one cos I can see the finish in my minds eye.I will keep the M-T for pastels only me thinks :D I am really happy with the charcoal one

TeAnne
07-17-2001, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Chuck

What is very COOL is that you're using Ruth's "tiny head" as a model. I too like the b&w better. You may want to check the (b&w) left side of her mouth...it extends, to an area, under her eye. Thanks Chuck :) I have the shadow extended to where you said but not showing too well on the scan. :D

ArtyHelen
07-17-2001, 08:59 AM
The second has caught Ruth's likeness better, but I love 'em both!

I love the high contrast of the first one - very striking!

Well done, TeAnne! :)

Helen

TeAnne
07-17-2001, 09:06 AM
Thanks Helen, we must have posted together. lolol
The only thing I like about the cp one is the hair.

jerryW
07-17-2001, 11:00 AM
the arcs that are concave in the charcoal and convex in the color version are wrong in the color version.
concave and convex are often mixed up in australia.
I went thorugh this with david acres about 5 months ago.

love the portraits.
wish that tinyhead was up there 6 months ago when I was doing my electronic paintings.

shameless plug for self ( http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_final_entries.msql?proj_id=48 )

well placed plug for teanne ( http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_final2.msql?username=TeAnne&proj_id=48 )

thanks for painting and posting.
j

ReNae
07-17-2001, 03:56 PM
I like the second one much better too......great job TeAnne!

Warmth,
ReNae

TeAnne
07-17-2001, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by jerryW

love the portraits.
wish that tinyhead was up there 6 months ago when I was doing my electronic paintings.

shameless plug for self ( http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_final_entries.msql?proj_id=48 )

well placed plug for teanne ( http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_final2.msql?username=TeAnne&proj_id=48 )

thanks for painting and posting.
j
Thanks Jerry, I am seeing what you are seeing :D.....The projects are ongoing, you can do this one or you can do the 'tinyhead' project. Go for it Jerry :D

TeAnne
07-17-2001, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by ReNae
I like the second one much better too......great job TeAnne!

Warmth,
ReNae Thanks ReNae :) I am going to put Ruth on the black paper next :D

Impulse
07-18-2001, 03:00 AM
let's see if i can manage to explain my self
or at least my thoughts on this

i prefer the first one by a country mile
it is a really good interpretive painting
in technical language, it kicks butt

i really like that ruth looks like
she's seen a gohst
great expression

i really like the nose
and the angle in the face

it's well painted and expressive
it's not a photograph

and that's good

Victor
07-18-2001, 03:32 AM
I liked the first one until I saw the second one and then I liked the second one better and so on. The thing is, they are both great, well done and I wish I could do portraits too, I just have'nt tried hard enough.

Vic.......:clap:

TeAnne
07-18-2001, 05:10 AM
Thanks you Impulse, :D Hey sooooooo good to see you again. Have you been busy?

Thanks Victor, :) Have a go, it's fun :) I have yet to do a black paper one.

mclaughlin
07-18-2001, 05:42 AM
...that I like your work. Because it is loose and full of joy and courage.

Personally I tend to the charcoal one, but ...I mean..isn't the hair on the Colour one great ?:cool:

TeAnne
07-18-2001, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by mclaughlin
...that I like your work. Because it is loose and full of joy and courage.

Personally I tend to the charcoal one, but ...I mean..isn't the hair on the Colour one great ?:cool: Thanks mclaughlin. You are very kind :D I am happyt with the hair in the cp one and thats about all :cat: I like the loosness of the charcoal one, and it was done quickley too. I feel the more I labour over something, the less successful it is.

mclaughlin
07-18-2001, 05:54 AM
I know what you mean. Often a sketch shows in a few lines what a 2-month struggle over details never could.

TeAnne
07-18-2001, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by mclaughlin
I know what you mean. Often a sketch shows in a few lines what a 2-month struggle over details never could. Thats for sure :evil: ~ (You keep changing ya tinyhead, I loved that devil looking one. :D) ~ I just wish I had the room to work, so tired of working A4 sizes on my lap :(