PDA

View Full Version : Bristol vellum for pastel drawing?

satandraws
06-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Hi! Whatís the best paper for pastel drawing? I have heard a lot about Pastel mat but unfortunately itís not available in India. I was wondering if Strathmore bristol vellum is good for pastels. Iím not going to use soft pastel sticks, only FC pitt pastel pencils if it makes a difference.
Thank you! :)

water girl
06-16-2019, 06:10 PM
I was not aware of Bristol Vellum, but just checked it out. That should be fine for pastels. Do you have Canson Mi Tientes in India?

satandraws
06-17-2019, 02:33 AM
I was not aware of Bristol Vellum, but just checked it out. That should be fine for pastels. Do you have Canson Mi Tientes in India?

Yes, Mi tientes and Mi tientes touch. Iíll order Pastel mat from jacksonsart soon but I just need a paper to try out pastel pencils now. I have a Strathmore Pastel pad, and bristol vellum.

nha63
06-22-2019, 05:06 PM
I've used cold-pressed water color paper with some success; it's pretty inexpensive and easy to find, and will take a lot of abuse.

heartwarriorpath
06-24-2019, 04:55 AM
Iíve tested a number of different papers and Iíve found Bristol Vellum to work greatócan take several light layers of soft pastel with minimum dust and did not require fixative. So it should work for pastel pencils! I prefer Bristol Vellum over Mi Teintes, because itís not as textured and accepted more layers than the smooth side of Mi Teintes. Itís also more archivalóMi Teintes changes color over time as it is exposed to light. Hope this helps!!!