PDA

View Full Version : shadows

catjoe
09-13-2000, 08:41 AM
Any tips on how to show form and substance in deep shadows would be appreciated. Thanks

rapolina
09-14-2000, 12:06 AM
I have your same problem.
last july i found on Amazon this book:
Watercolor Basics: Perspective Secrets by Phil Metzger

Synopsis: Introduces techniques for creating depth and realism in watercolor paintings,
covering such topics as linear perspective, size and space variations, overlapping, and aerial perspective.

It helped me (and a friend of mine) a lot, as it explain the secrets to create depth, tips to render the shadows on objaets and casted shadows. I raccomend it to solve your problems.

Ciao, http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif rapolina.

billyg
09-14-2000, 06:08 AM
Hey Catjoe.
Little excercise for you. Draw lightly three cubes and paint them Red Blue and Yellow.When dry, imagine the light coming from say the left at 10 o'clock and with a thin mix of Ultramarine Blue and Crimson Alizarin ( giving grey)paint over the three cubes.Allow to dry. They now look red Blue and Yellow with a grey glaze. You with me?.Now give the end nearest you another glaze and you have form with your shadow.The same glaze can be used to paint the cast shadow its length depending on the angle of the light source.Shadows can be fun and can have life and colour of their own. Really look into the shadows around you and you will see whatI mean.
Have Fun Billyg