PDA

View Full Version : catching up: 4 sketches

sundiver
11-16-2003, 03:03 PM
I'm behind in posting, so here are 4 oil pastels at once. Some I like, some not. Critiques are most welcome.
1) a plein air I did last Tuesday 8x10, around 90 min
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2003/6393-orchardupickplace.jpg
2) This is from a ref pic I took last month, and it's yucky. It's backlit, and the background was even darker than here. Advice is needed- probably too late for this one but I might do it again if it seems worth it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2003/6393-bannockburnRdcreek.jpg
I have trouble uploading more that 2 at a time, so will post the other 2 next.

christmascarolnz
11-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Hi Sundiver. Are these op's? They are lovely 'sketches'. (Why don't you call them paintings?) I esp. like the second one. The colours are really nice.
What do you plan to do with them?
Cheers,
Carol

sundiver
11-16-2003, 03:09 PM
3) Also from a ref pic. That is quite near here but would be difficult to set up a plein air situation in the middle of the street- easier to take a photo! :D
Feeling ambivalent about this one. Got sick of it before it was finished. 8x10, took most of an evening
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2003/6393-view_of_peninsula.jpg
4) This was from Celiog's WDE last night. (Great images of north Wales, btw, and you can still participate!) 5x7, maybe 2 hours
Hubby's response was "Oh, that's nice.............what is it?"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2003/6393-tweakedWDEnov15.jpg
(it's a mossy stone wall and wet leaves)

sundiver
11-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Carol, we posted at the same time. :) They are oil pastels. I called them sketches because most of them were quickies.
They are at the leave-it-alone point, now. Some will be matted, some painted on the back, maybe that second one will go in the bin because there's already a painting on the back!

Mikki Petersen
11-16-2003, 03:51 PM
What a great batch of "sketches"! I personally like the third one best, but they all have merit. On the backlit one...I think if you put some lighter areas either at the edges of the trees or, if you want to forget the backlit thing, just lick a light source and put some highlights on the trees to give them a little more dimension. These are just wonderful, they all have great atmosphere.

Rosic
11-16-2003, 11:25 PM
They are all a breathe of fresh air... but I gotta say... I'm partial to that Autumn Church scene. Gives me a feeling of peace and serenity. Thanks Sundiver I needed that!
Rosic

Mo.
11-18-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Rosic
They are all a breathe of fresh air... but I gotta say... I'm partial to that Autumn Church scene. Gives me a feeling of peace and serenity. Thanks Sundiver I needed that!
Rosic

I'm on a par with Rosic here. I love them all, but that autumnal church scene is my fvourite, it's simply gorgeous!

Mo.:)

MKathleen
11-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Hi sundiver, well lets see I must say I like the church the best. I think you may have had more time to work on it. Also it seems more painterly than the others. After saying that I do really like the WDE ceiliog's images with the rocks and leaves you painted.
I think the other paintings just need some more work that's all.
Love those oil pastels...
Kathy

Kathryn Wilson
11-19-2003, 02:36 PM
Sundiver: I am experimenting with my new oil pastels and I'm wondering what paper you like the best. Are you using sanded paper?? I bought a batch of Holbeins and a small box of Senneliers.

I bought a pad of Sennelier's oil pastel paper - but there is so much white, would you suggest an underpainting?? I've experienced in the past that my oil pastels turn out so dark that I thought the white might help.

Other than that, I have Art Spectrum and Sennelier's soft pastel paper.

Any suggestions you can offer would be appreciated.

sundiver
11-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by kyle
Sundiver: I am experimenting with my new oil pastels and I'm wondering what paper you like the best. Are you using sanded paper?? I bought a batch of Holbeins and a small box of Senneliers.
I bought a pad of Sennelier's oil pastel paper - but there is so much white, would you suggest an underpainting?? I've experienced in the past that my oil pastels turn out so dark that I thought the white might help.
Other than that, I have Art Spectrum and Sennelier's soft pastel paper.
Any suggestions you can offer would be appreciated.

I have never tried Sennellier paper, but plan to order myself some Art Spectrum. I use mainly gessoed wc paper and matboard for the simple reason that I have some, plus some canvas paper and Canson. I usually put Golden Pumice Ground on the surface, sometimes tinted with acrylics.
I haven't tried underpainting with turps on the sanded ground, bit I have used it on the plain gessoed surfaces. If the paper is white I block in the darks thinly and blend with a color shaper so I can put color over it.
I'm still pretty much in the experimental stages, and look forward to your observations and ideas once you've had a go at it!

Kathryn Wilson
11-19-2003, 03:33 PM
Me again, I've tried Art Spectrum paper with OP's and find it gave me a grainy look to my painting. In some instances, this was okay and lent itself to what I wanted; in other instances, I did not like the look at all.

Just tried a painting on black matt board, no gesso, just plain and I like how the pastels went on. There was enough texture in the matt board so that some of the black is still showing through.

My biggest problem is getting the lighter colors to work on the darker colors, especially when you start out on black.

Will post later tonight - it's an interesting technique and style that I found in a past International Pastel magazine.

meowmeow
11-19-2003, 03:57 PM
Don't dump that second one! I like it! I agree that maybe some highlights in the front but it has a wonderful feel to it. They all do...and the last one is interesting. The colors are great and it just has a nice atmosphere, but I agree with hubby that I was not quite sure what it was.
You've been pretty ambitious and it paid off!

Sandy

sundiver
11-20-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by kyle
My biggest problem is getting the lighter colors to work on the darker colors, especially when you start out on black.

Mine, too. On black I sometimes do a white layer before the light color.

Lol, Sandy, here's the ref pic from the WDE:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2003/6393-9270-wdewal.jpg
You'd expect that there's a Hobbit around nearby.

Shari
11-20-2003, 03:07 PM
That autumn church scene is gorgeous and is my favorite, but they are all very nice. At least you are getting out there and doing art!!! I discovered that with pictures I don't like right after I do them, if I put them a way for awhile and look at them at a later time, I often like them or else have a different frame of mind about them and get inspired to rework areas. Tell us about oil pastels, do you like them better than soft ones?

Shari