PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketches 17 - 23 Nov

E-J
11-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Thanks to all who posted their pastel quickies to last week's thread! For those who missed it, here's the link:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144843

The idea behind this thread (which starts afresh each Monday) is to pick up your pastels and paint as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, eg. 25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, or one hour. Time yourself, and as soon as your time's up, STOP, and share your efforts with us here.

The aim is to get the essentials down on paper without fretting about detail. The exercise is probably most valuable if you can sketch from life but feel free to use a ref photo if you prefer.

EVERYONE is welcome to participate. No critiques will be given unless you request them, making this a safe place in which to develop your pastel skills, whatever your level.

Come in and make friends with those pastels as you sharpen your observational skills ... :)

christmascarolnz
11-17-2003, 07:38 PM
I painted this at my art class last night. It is 2 hours work, which for me is quick. I had a go at getting 'loose' - but couldn't help myself tightening up with pastel pencils...
A3 sized velour paper. - I thought I'd give it another go after seeing some of the others around here using and enjoying it. I did have fun with the painting - my MIL's dog Chloe who has been THE most difficult dog to photograph - she doesn't like to give 'happy' photos.
Cheers,
Carol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2003/4807-Chloe_on_velour.jpg
EJ has a whip over me now to get my time down to one hour! - agh slave driver. :( - I thought I was going well to whittle weeks off my time!

soap
11-18-2003, 03:14 AM
Wow!

E-J
11-18-2003, 03:59 AM
As I told you, Carol, he's super! The eyes especially. I don't like working on velour paper. Things are so fuzzy-looking that I keep thinking I've forgotten my contact lenses!

Too tired last night to do more than this 30-min sketch ... I know everything's off, but at least it's from life (I'm wanting to get back to sketching from life only). These are my bongos :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2003/13865-bongos.JPG

christmascarolnz
11-18-2003, 04:19 AM
Thanks Soap and EJ. Chloe looks like she's been caught in a car's headlights! I still prefer my live photos... :angel:
Your bongos work well on the paper you've used. The skins are great.
So you play bongos...or do you just sit and look at them like I do at my bodhran?
Cheers,
Carol

Stoy Jones
11-18-2003, 01:36 PM
Sorry that I haven't had time this week to come and play, I got gutters to clean before the severe storms hit us tonight.

Carol, your dog looks great, in fact as good as your other! Yeah, you have to look out for E-J, she runs a tight ship here ;) and flog as good as any Capt'n!

Ohh...By the way, E-J!..Your sketch of your bongos look great. Painting from life does make a big difference when you can. Still-life subjects are great, but live ones will prove to be a challenge. I am also interested...do you play??

Stoy

soap
11-18-2003, 01:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2003/15421-St._Benoit.jpg
A bit over an hour. Charcoal and pastel.
Any good? Good enough on its own, or better as a study for a coloured painting?

Like the way you did the skin on those bongos EJ.

christmascarolnz
11-18-2003, 03:12 PM
Stoy you just have to come down to NZ for some Springtime. Glorious days for the next week.:p
Soap - it's a bit early for me in the morning - when your pic was loading I thought it was a ram's head! I think it's amazing for one hour. Such detail. Who is the ghostly figure in the archway?
Cheers,
Carol

E-J
11-18-2003, 04:54 PM
Carol, Stoy - I have been known to bash the bongos on occasion but only after a surfeit of alcohol. I can tell you that the small drum is called the macho (male) and the larger one is the hembra (female) but that's the end of my bongo-related knowledge ... any rhythm I might create with them is purely accidental :D

Sophie, that's beautiful for an hour and it's certainly 'good enough' but Carol's comment has made me think that a figure in the archway might just create the focal point which would give it the something you're looking for. It's a lovely study!

nancymae
11-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Carol...you play the bodhran??? I am currently learning the tin whistle!! We will have to have a Wet Cavas concert!! And of course E-J can bongo in!!!

Love the perspective of the bongos too....and the skin.

Soap...is that a ghost??? Love your detail work!!

Nancy Mae...

soap
11-18-2003, 06:24 PM
...huh....??..what ghost?...:confused:

sundiver
11-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by soap
...huh....??..what ghost?...:confused:

I think it's a back wall- the palest part of your amazing drawing- but it kind of looks like a ghostly figure.
E-J, your bongos rock :D and Carol, that's one dignified-looking dog!
This is a 5x7 plein air , 40 min, oil pastel, sketched in the woods behind my house.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2003/6393-backyardwoods.jpg
I'm going to do outdoor sketches for as long as I can , weather-wise, before I get to the still lifes.

Stoy Jones
11-18-2003, 08:52 PM
Sundiver...wow! As always, love those landscapes. The way you have the light coming through the trees is what makes this piece.

Soap, it is the distant pillar receeding to our right that seems "ghostly". Possibly bring it into focus a little but leave it the same tone(?). Don't know, but I like the this as a whole. Very interesting to look at.

Lol! Carol, I'd love to fly out there someday. If only I could overcome airfares, jetlag, and dislike for air travel in general. I hear it is very pretty country out there. Spring sure sounds good as we are headed for winter here. Still warm enough to generate a few twisters this evening which keeps us on the lookout...uhg!

Stoy

christmascarolnz
11-18-2003, 11:08 PM
Well then Nancy Mae - you give us a toot and that just might start me off! Gotta wet the skin and stand on it for a while the drum's so tight. I have a bad sense of rythm - can't even clap in time ha ha.
Sundiver (that is a really interesting name) - your landscape paintings are really nice. You live near the 'woods'? Do you mean bush?
Carol

soap
11-19-2003, 05:46 AM
Sundiver, I love it!! Great contrasts. I wish I had that at the back of my house...
Stoy, good idea about more focus, same tone for the 'ghost'. Might add a figure next to it there......lol....

sundiver
11-19-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by christmascarolnz
Sundiver (that is a really interesting name) - your landscape paintings are really nice. You live near the 'woods'? Do you mean bush?
Carol

Sundiver is the title of a book by one of my favorite authors, David Brin. It refers to dolphins, and I love dolphins, and liked the word. The name doesn't really say anything about me other than that (or maybe it describes my not-so-girlish figure these days!:D ). I often wish I had picked something more appropriate.

I guess "woods" is the same as "bush". I usually think of bush as more isolated, and I'm in the suburbs. This area even has woods in the middle of the city. The woods behind the house is slated for condos, but we've been undisturbed for 13 years and it will be a few more before the condos get built. Our kids had a great place to play, build treehouses, etc.

Dark_Shades
11-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Ta.... DAHHHHHhhhhh!!!!

Had my First Ever Art Lesson this lunch time :D ha ha ha .... another Lunch Time Taster... This time Drawing, with Pastels :eek: .... were shown how to measure with a pencil..... felt a right plonker!!! lolol... holding out the pencil at arms length..... all arty farty :D ... anyways, time he finished talking us through the history of art from the beginnings of cave drawings, to the cheats of the famous Masters etc... we only got about 15mins to actually draw..... so without further ado!!!.... I present to you..... an ACTUAL DRAWING FROM LIFE!!! Wooooo hoooo lol,

... erm better tell you what they are ha ha ha :o
Brussel Sprouts..... and Apple, and the thing at the back was a huge Mushroom :) ..... got all smudgey, cos I had to fold it and put it in my bag

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2003/12116-LifeDrawing.jpg

E-J
11-19-2003, 01:54 PM
Dawn ... I dunno ... you pretentious arty types with your fancy pencil-measuring ways! :p

I think this is the first time I've seen something from you that isn't in colour! Was it fun? Did many people show up? Were their drawings any good? :)

E-J
11-19-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by sundiver
This is a 5x7 plein air , 40 min, oil pastel, sketched in the woods behind my house.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2003/6393-backyardwoods.jpg

Wendy, the light in this is just awesome. More than anyone you make me want to get out and do some plein air ... maybe I should carry a small box of oil pastels with me.

Dark_Shades
11-19-2003, 02:12 PM
lol Ej.... infact I found it VERY difficult to draw this way.... had to measure height and width of each object, where it was placed against the next object, make a box for it .... even to hold the pencil was all cack handed.... could only draw from bottom upwards in one line!!!..... but it was all very imformative, and glad I went, ..... Plotting, Visual Cues, Negative Spaces :).... am sure it will come in handy for the future some time ..... went to the later session, only 4 of us in that one... awww!... dont know how many in the earlier one....... nah, drawings no good :p :)

But looking through the booklet on Evening Courses, have found out for Pastels they hold one in Stansted..... so I might, might just enrol

Wendy as always that landscape is gorgeous

E-J
11-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Spent an hour on this (not including transferring the drawing, which was knocking around on an old sheet of layout paper from the time I did this subject in acrylics). It's on black Colourfix, is loosely based on a photo and on my acrylic version. It's very unfinished but eventually they will hopefully look like stargazer lilies!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2003/13865-lilies_wip.jpg

soap
11-20-2003, 05:07 PM
This is going to be stunning, EJ! Love the shadows!

E-J
11-20-2003, 05:32 PM
Thanks Sophie. I think I'm working too small to do the twiddly shadow bits effectively - this is 12x9" (about 30 x 23 cm) - but I will keep going. Thanks for looking in!

Mz_Sketch_Pad
11-20-2003, 06:39 PM
i haven't pasteled this week, but good thread as usual this week
EJ - great vase. the shadows really make this painting
dark Shades- good work for your first lesson
sundiver - l like the color combos in yours
if i missed anyone sorry, but every thing in here is great!!

JamieWG
11-21-2003, 08:27 AM
Dawn, drawing from life!!! You rock!!! It is fresh, alive, and very much has that connected-to-you look about it. I know well that it's a lot more effort to draw from life, but so satisfying.

EJ, love your vase with flowers! My one nit is that it looks like it needs a bit more of a base; I'm afraid it will fall over.

I already commented on Sundiver's on another thread....but Wendy, let me say once again how impressed I am with your plein air diligence!

I did two quickies last night in bed while hubby was watching TV. This one is for Wendy (Sundiver) because of all her OP landscape inspiration. Since it was done in bed, it's not plein air.... ;) .....but from some photos I took while I was out painting plein air in oils. Climbing the Hill at Muscoot Farm, 5X7, Caran d'Ache oil pastels blended with Colour Shapers and a little turp and Q-tips:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2003/13766-Climbing_Hill_Muscoot_OP_400.jpg

And this one from a photo I took one night when hubby and I were chasing sunsets around the lake, 5X7, Neocolor II blended with turp/Q-tips:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2003/13766-Peach_Lake_Sunset_Vails_Neocolor_II_400.jpg

Have a great day, everybody!

Jamie

JamieWG
11-21-2003, 08:33 AM
Oops---didn't see all the great page 1 stuff!

Carol, lovely dog! He looks so sweet and soft. You really captured a personality there.

EJ, what is "off" with the drums? I think they look great.

Soap, your architecture work is beautiful and for me, this stands on its own as a piece. But if you wanted to treat it as a study and go to town on a full color version, I'd like that too. :)

Jamie

christmascarolnz
11-21-2003, 04:06 PM
hubby and I were chasing sunsets around the lake

ooooh that is soo romantic! Sounds like a wonderful line for a book or poem.
Nice pics there Jamie. I like the tree in the second one especially.
EJ your vase colours are well done - is the glass sanded glass?
Carol

Meisie
11-21-2003, 06:22 PM
Sundiver That is one of the most beautiful landscapes I have seen......wow wow wow wow
Meisie

Mo.
11-21-2003, 08:12 PM
Some really gobsmacking work here this week.

Carol's ginger spaniel is a wow!

E-J's congo bongo's I love, the skins on those drums are so believable, now if you want to start a group, hubby plays the bagpipes, and my daughter can play the tin whistle, flute and piccolo, and bagpipes , but not all at once, me I play with my paints:D, used to play a keyboard, but that was long ago.

Sophie's ghostly building just superb as I expect of her now.

Wendy's beautiful landscape... I'm in awe it's really is so beautiful, can't you tell I'm a great fan of Wendy's work:)

Well done Dawn for having a go! Looks fresh and lively.

E-J Another cracker.. I love the way your bowl of flowers is developing, How do you like acrylics BTW?

Jamie WOW!! Two crackers, now how on earh can you paint in bed? That defies belief! LOL!;)
The first one is my favourite, I just love the added touch of the figures.

Well I finished my lion tonight, will post when I get a daylight pic, then I was stuck for something to do, so here you go E-J, my basket of fruit after 50 mins work, 15 mins for the outline sketch, then the rest for painting with OP's on canvas, a bit of an experiment really, but pleased with it so far, this has been applied using turps and a brush, hope to finish it over the weekend.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2003/5154-fruit_basket_wip.jpg

Mo.:)

christmascarolnz
11-22-2003, 12:52 AM
Mo we billetted some Northumbrian Pipers a couple of years ago...
I am a 'folky' for sure!

The colours you used in your op painting are great together - the purple, orange and green are the complimenaries of each other aren't they?
Carol

E-J
11-22-2003, 06:09 AM
Jamie - that's a cute little oil pastel! Have you ever used op's over the top of Neocolors? I'm thinking of trying it and I guess the op will 'stick' ok ... just wondered if you'd tried it.

Carol - the vase is a misty, not-quite-transparent-but-almost sort of glass ... is that sanded glass?

Mo - yay, you're back with a vengeance! I used to be very fond of acrylics but only pick them up rarely these days ... It feels strange trying to handle wet media now I'm used to pastels, but you're bridging the gap with your turps & brush approach to op's. How does it feel using them on canvas?

E-J
11-22-2003, 03:48 PM
Purely for the fun of it ... which is no bad thing, I guess ... This is 6x4" on a w/colour postcard using Craig's medium of egg and pastel dust tempera! These are poinsettias from the image library. I used red, blue, yellow, a dark green and a tiny touch of white and it took me 55 mins.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2003/13865-poinsettia.jpg

christmascarolnz
11-22-2003, 09:37 PM
Hi EJ = yep that sounds like the stuff.
Now this new-style painting of yours is lovely and bright and very Christmassy - you'll have to print off a few cards of it - you are welcome to send one to me ;)
Cheers,
Carol

JamieWG
11-22-2003, 11:04 PM
EJ, wow! Love your poinsettias! Did you brush-paint it with the pastel/egg stuff? How do you make that? And 55 minutes---you are like lightning!

Jamie

E-J
11-23-2003, 10:36 AM
Jamie, yep, used a watercolour brush - you can find out how to do this if you take a look at Craig's demo/thread about the technique: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147065

Carol, I don't usually send Christmas cards but that was my plan with these ... thought this way I could actually send a few hand-painted ones. No real way to do it with original pastels!

JamieWG
11-23-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by E-J
Have you ever used op's over the top of Neocolors? I'm thinking of trying it and I guess the op will 'stick' ok ... just wondered if you'd tried it.

EJ, I haven't tried it yet, but it's funny you should ask, because I was thinking of trying the OPs over the top of that Neocolor II sunset piece I just did. So, I'll be the guinea pig and let you know what happens!
Jamie

E-J
11-23-2003, 12:52 PM
It's been a weekend of fiddling about here and there but no real painting. I'm posting this because it's finished ... or rather, I'm finished with it!! since I can't get the detail ... and my ref photo is useless for light source info.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2003/13865-lilies.jpg

sundiver
11-24-2003, 08:17 AM
E-J, your flowers are beautiful.
Mo, looking good. How do you like working on canvas?
Jamie, I like your "plein bed"s :D. I guess en Francais they would be "en lit"s!
Why do you blend Neocolor 11s with turps? Aren't they water soluble? I've only ever used them as a water medium, and not very successfully at that. I'm impressed with your results.

JamieWG
11-24-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by sundiver
Jamie, I like your "plein bed"s :D. I guess en Francais they would be "en lit"s!
Why do you blend Neocolor 11s with turps? Aren't they water soluble? I've only ever used them as a water medium, and not very successfully at that. I'm impressed with your results.

En lit....LOL, Wendy....too funny! :D

I frequently use turp to blend the Neocolor IIs. I guess it's just a leftover habit from using Prismacolor pencils. It strips the wax really well so you can add more layers. 'Works great with the Neocolors IIs too. The other night, I was sick in bed with bronchitis and the only water I had next to me was my drinking water! I had a little bottle of turp there, so I used that instead of the water. I didn't want to have to get up to get a container of water for the Neocolors. I like working with Neocolors, but they need better paper, which will take more layers than the Strathmore 400 smooth bristol. A vellum would have been better. Next time.....Stonehenge or Arches HP. :)

EJ, I ended up oil painting last night and didn't do the experiment yet of the OPs over Neocolor IIs, but perhaps tonight after I get back from work.

EJ, I love your finish and the spikey shadows!

Jamie

Meisie
11-25-2003, 04:01 PM
ooooo I just love those poinsettias!
This tempera business looks like so much fun. Will have to try it!
Meisie