PDA

View Full Version : Pear study

Donna T
05-22-2019, 11:48 AM
An artist friend visited me recently and she encouraged me to try something new: painting without my eyeglasses. I am very near-sighted! Once I moved the set-up close enough that I could actually see the objects :rolleyes: it was fun to block in the big, blurry shapes. She encouraged me to get the values correct and said I could adjust the colors later. I did a rough outline with vine charcoal first (glasses on) but I was surprised how far I got before I needed them for the finishing touches. I'll be trying this again to help me loosen up and not get so distracted by details in the beginning. I invite any of you to try this and share your results! If you don't wear glasses you can always squint - hard - to get the same effect. 9x12 on recycled UArt that was toned with warm colors previously.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2019/97763-pearstudyWC.jpg

Humburger
05-22-2019, 12:34 PM
That is beautiful! I am going to try that. LOL!

Donna T
05-22-2019, 01:58 PM
It's a fun process, Ginny, as long as you don't worry about the exact shapes at the beginning. You can always go back later to define edges by "carving" the background around the objects. Thanks for looking!

water girl
05-22-2019, 02:34 PM
I'm throwing away my glasses! I'd say this exercise was more than successful. I particularly like the little bounce of cast shadow violet reflected in the bottom of the pairs. It's those little surprises that make your work so special. It sounds like you two had a fun visit.

Charles Perera
05-23-2019, 06:28 AM
Donna , not just a simple comment of « Wow » , but a long essay could be written on your march forward in painting. I say march forward, because painting is not just using colour on a blank page to transfer onto it the exactitude of an object of nature. Using exceptional talent to go beyond what the eyes see, to transfer the mental image of that object in colour onto a paper is what we have inherited from our great classical artists such as Titian, Claude Monnet, Paul Cezanne, Picasso, Edward Hopper, Braque or even Georges Seurat, using different styles of painting Cubism, impressionism, pointillism etc.

I am happy to see you Donna taking that artistically intellectual adventure in your pastel painting to go beyond to reach greater heights in painting. I see this pastel painting of yours as a step into that great world of Classical art.

Felicitations,

Charles

Donna T
05-23-2019, 08:07 AM
I'm throwing away my glasses!

:lol: I am lost without my glasses, Karen, but it's nice to know they aren't always required for every stage of painting. That little violet shadow color was really there but I doubt it would show in a photo. Thank you!

Charles, thank you not only for your kind words about this little painting but for thinking that I am moving forward with my art. I am always eager to learn about new ways to convey more than just a replica of what I see. Many thanks for such a thoughtful and supportive message!

CaliAnn
06-01-2019, 09:28 AM
Donna - I am a huge fan of your work - you make me miss my pastels so badly. I LOVE this piece - your paintings always make me "feel" - almost as if I am there with you, and seeing and feeling what you are seeing and feeling at the time - this is stunning! Thank you for always sharing your technique used in your paintings :)

bartc
06-01-2019, 10:02 AM
Nice job, glasses or not (from one nearsighted person to another.)

michaeljarman
06-01-2019, 01:37 PM
Great exercise, Donna! And you masterfully painted this! I think I should try this too !

Donna T
06-02-2019, 07:55 AM
CaliAnn, thank you! I never used to think about the "feeling" part of painting but I'm always attracted to the elusive, undefinable quality of the work by artists I admire. I'm hoping to get more of that quality in my work so I appreciate your thoughts very much.

Thanks Bart! I need glasses to find my glasses. :lol:

Michael, thanks and I hope you'll give this a try. It was a little scary for me to see fuzzy shapes at first but there's a lot of leeway in those shapes and I have been wanting to break free from coloring in the outlines for a long time.

pastel65
06-02-2019, 08:56 AM
Painting came out great. I’m in the “need glasses” club also so can appreciate the challenge. Pam :wave:

Donna T
06-03-2019, 08:28 AM
Thanks Pam!

Skyenorth
06-07-2019, 12:07 PM
Your work is always very beautiful Donna, glad you enjoyed the experiment.

Boogiechile
06-07-2019, 09:37 PM
You have a real fine hand with the pastels. You’ve helped rekindle my love of the medium. Interesting approach, taking off your glasses. I’m still squinting.

maryinasia
06-07-2019, 10:14 PM
beautiful

Donna T
06-09-2019, 07:54 AM
Hi Caroline and thank you for stopping by!

Boogie, thanks and I hope you keep your pastels out! I will always be a squinter too.

Thank you Mary!

Bill Foehringer
06-19-2019, 02:26 PM
Hi Donna! Great lesson demonstrated!
Reminder that I need to paint something every day.
I have a whole box full of small daily paintings that I did. Why did I stop?
These are so helpful to make progress because less time is committed and specific issues can be explored!!!
Thanks for posting!
Bill