PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Waxwing WIP

skipstah70
05-16-2019, 03:52 PM
After feeling depressed waiting for my last two bird painting's layers to dry... I've decided to start another one! lol I spent a bit more time in photoshop prep arranging the composition, so I hope that will show in the end. I'm also trying to deviate from just copying the ref, and going for a looser feel in the brishwork. Basically making up the branch, and leaves on the fly. (I can't bring myself to drawing individual leaves). Still a bit to go, but I'm happy with today's effort. Now juggling 4 paintings at once! Ah... The mood swings! :lol:

any c&C welcome.. Mike

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2019/69629-DSC00352_lo.jpg

tuscanny
05-16-2019, 11:22 PM
A great start. Looking forward to your update.

chammi kaiser
05-17-2019, 03:47 PM
Looking really good. I too, am looking forward to the next posting. Hang in there and have fun.

skappy
05-18-2019, 01:58 AM
Good start

ArtySinger
05-18-2019, 03:27 AM
This is going to be amazing when itīs finished,I canīt wait to see it.

Triduana
05-18-2019, 12:02 PM
I love waxwings. t looks great so far, looking forward to seeing how you progress. :)

fruitcke
05-19-2019, 02:20 AM
I wouldn't worry about detailing the leaves as the Waxwing is the subject.Looking great so far....

fedetony
05-20-2019, 07:06 AM
Well, is a nice start... I could not handle 4 paintings at a time...

skipstah70
05-22-2019, 08:04 PM
A bit of an update on this. I'm trying to iron the edges out.... smoothing everything out, and in the proccess feel I have sacrificed the overall colour a bit. I also felt the sky was a bit too blue, so added a glaze with more orange in it which may have been a mistake... we'll see if I can pull it together I guess!?!
lol Time to crack out a few sables and safflower oil to smoothen all the transitions out.

Thanks everyone for the comments and positivity!

cheers, Mike

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2019/69629-DSC00358_lo.JPG

skipstah70
05-22-2019, 08:22 PM
Well, is a nice start... I could not handle 4 paintings at a time...
Thanks Federico. I'm not sure I can handle them, or even finish them... but I did start them! lol It's funny. I've kind of been reading about other artists technique and practices lately, and came across an old article by Bateman about how he would start another painting when he was unsatisfied with his current one. He sometimes would have half a dozen in rotation this way. This approach makes sense to me especially when using a glazng approach.

I wouldn't worry about detailing the leaves as the Waxwing is the subject.Looking great so far....
I think you are right Julian.. I'm just going to try and be more suggestive with them.

This is going to be amazing when itīs finished,I canīt wait to see it.
Thanks Sandie! I hope it works out too! :)

Good start
cheers Robert!

Thanks too Chammi and Christel! :wink2:

Vivien Maloney
06-04-2019, 10:35 PM
I've been following your progress on this painting and looking forward to seeing the finish. It certainly looks great so far!

I know what you mean about having several paintings on the go at once. I work mainly with Pastels but also like using Watercolor, and other painting mediums, so I always check out my various Forums at the beginning of each month and decided what I'm going to paint in the different Challenges. I usually do 2 or 3 paintings in pastel and at least one in Watercolor for the Watermedia challenge. So I usually have at least 4 half finished paintings sitting about in my Office/Studio at any one time. And if I get stuck on one.....I go on to another....then back to the difficult one etc. Works for me, and stops me getting stuck with only one painting medium! :thumbsup:

skipstah70
06-07-2019, 07:14 PM
I've been following your progress on this painting and looking forward to seeing the finish. It certainly looks great so far!

I know what you mean about having several paintings on the go at once. I work mainly with Pastels but also like using Watercolor, and other painting mediums, so I always check out my various Forums at the beginning of each month and decided what I'm going to paint in the different Challenges. I usually do 2 or 3 paintings in pastel and at least one in Watercolor for the Watermedia challenge. So I usually have at least 4 half finished paintings sitting about in my Office/Studio at any one time. And if I get stuck on one.....I go on to another....then back to the difficult one etc. Works for me, and stops me getting stuck with only one painting medium! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your comment Vivien. I'm not so happy with the colour in these later versions of the painting, but I'm trying to eke it out nonetheless. Every paining is a humble learning experience! :wink2: lol
I agree with your strategy of having multiple pieces on the go. I used to find it hard to stop/leave working on a particular piece midway, but I actually think it is healthy to step away from them now. Like you say, when one gets tough, move on to another until it hits you how to fix the other one.. or you at least feel ready to try something new on it! I'm kind of always working in the same medium, and even that gets tiresome. I think switching between something like pastel and watercolour is prob a great way to stay fresh mentally. Might have to try it.

cheers, Mike

cheers, Mike

skipstah70
06-07-2019, 07:26 PM
Here's how this one ended up. Not entirely happy with the colour or modelling, but ok with the bird. I think a simple colour study beforehand would have helped in the final piece. I feel I made the foliage overall a bit too green and the bird a bit too pink. I should have employed a bit more cad red in the leaves to harmonize everything a bit.

Thanks for comments and looks everyone! :thumbsup:

cheers, Mike

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2019/69629-DSC00367_lo.jpg

Dcam
06-07-2019, 09:10 PM
fabulous mike what a great subject and color combo.....nice!

Humburger
06-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Contrary to your belief, Mike, I think it is simply lovely. Soft and beautiful. I love the colors.

skipstah70
06-08-2019, 05:21 PM
fabulous mike what a great subject and color combo.....nice!
Thanks a lot Derek.. I appreciate that! :wink2:

Contrary to your belief, Mike, I think it is simply lovely. Soft and beautiful. I love the colors.

Thanks kindly Ginny!

fedetony
06-12-2019, 09:16 AM
Thanks Federico. I'm not sure I can handle them, or even finish them... but I did start them! lol It's funny. I've kind of been reading about other artists technique and practices lately, and came across an old article by Bateman about how he would start another painting when he was unsatisfied with his current one. He sometimes would have half a dozen in rotation this way. This approach makes sense to me especially when using a glazng approach.

I suppose this is the correct way when you work in oils since they take a lot of time to dry properly. So in the meanwhile you advance in other matters. I mainly use acrylics so put all my effort into a single piece and do not stop until finished. If I stop before, I loose interest and then will stay there forever.

skipstah70
06-14-2019, 02:31 PM
I suppose this is the correct way when you work in oils since they take a lot of time to dry properly. So in the meanwhile you advance in other matters. I mainly use acrylics so put all my effort into a single piece and do not stop until finished. If I stop before, I loose interest and then will stay there forever.

I'm like you Federico, I quickly lose interest in them as I paint too. It is usually when they inevitably start to go south though. lol Having a few of them sitting around in various stages staring you in the face that you can pick up on is great for shifting gears mentally. Often times, I will know something is wrong with a painting, but can't quite put my finger on it. Then, like a week later upon a quick glance you see what seems like the obvious problem and can fix it. Perseverance pays off I think. Sometimes 20 or 30 hrs can be saved by 15 minutes at the end if you know exactly what's wrong with the thing. :lol: (then again sometimes not, some are beyond saving!)

TMD Art
06-14-2019, 03:08 PM
Wow this is amazing - I think the big challenge with waxwings is to make them appear to be both smooth and soft, and you definitely accomplished that!

SAM of DE.
06-16-2019, 10:52 PM
colors are beautiful and soft love it.

chammi kaiser
06-17-2019, 01:37 AM
It is beautiful Mike. The background is so mystical and soft and it is great against the solid form of the bird. I like this a lot.

Triduana
06-17-2019, 04:07 AM
I think it's beautiful. The colours are fine, the feathers look right to me (not too pink at all!) and the foliage compliments the bird nicely. :)