PDA

View Full Version : Elsie

Humburger
05-09-2019, 11:04 PM
I must confess that I mostly post on these forums so that I can get some positive feedback to raise me out of the depths of despair over my art. After finishing this, I am contemplating throwing out all my art supplies and quitting. I hate art!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2019/2095231-elsie-pastel-may-9-2019-small.jpg

No, I don't hate art. Well, sometimes I do...

Donna T
05-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Wow, Ginny, this is a gorgeous portrait! I know we all get discouraged from time to time because we don't seem to be able to make the kind of progress that we'd like. As long as you enjoy the actual act of painting I hope you'll not be too critical of the results and keep at it. It's the journey, not the destination, right?

Humburger
05-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Thank you, Donna. Sometimes it is the journey. Sometimes it is the destination. Sometimes I can't figure out which one it is. LOL! Thank you for taking the time to make an encouraging comment. :-)

Mmm_Pasta
05-10-2019, 03:33 PM
The fabric is done very well here. I see some oranges in there which contrast well with the blues in the shirt and complement the background and hair nicely. You captured the lean of her head being forward. I also like the dilated pupils!

water girl
05-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Whoa! Ginny! You are way too hard on yourself. :angel: My first thought was Elsie is one beautiful young lady and her pose is perfect. The color of the irises of her eyes, used in the fabric of the blouse is genius. More please!

Humburger
05-12-2019, 05:24 AM
Thank you, Pasta and Karen. Yes, she is a beautiful young lady. I took the photos and the lighting was such that her eyes were very dilated. I liked that, too. :-)

Holley
05-12-2019, 10:50 PM
I can see you don't hate art, more like you get frustrated. You have a passion for it that keeps you going, you musn't be too hard on yourself. Embrace it and enjoy every part of it, the good and the bad, the lessons along the way make us better artists. Your painting is beautiful, believe in yourself! xo

Humburger
05-13-2019, 07:42 PM
Thank you, Holley. 😊

ColorEnthusiast
05-19-2019, 11:54 AM
It is a good portrait, your young lady has an impressive expression and inquiring gaze.

Maybe you are concentrating to much on the outcome and put to much pressure to yourself. If this happens to me I also get frustrated. Then for me it helps to concentrate to the process of painting itself and to plan to produce only for the garbage can and not to care about it. And dropping any expectations mostly leads to better paintings. :)

Esther