PDA

View Full Version : New SpectraFix Natural Glass Varnish and Painting Medium

Artist_by_Accident
05-07-2019, 03:58 PM
I've just heard of a new product from SpectraFix and wonder if any of you have tried it yet?

I gave up on pastels a few years ago after trying to find a glassless framing solution that didn't make the pastels change color or melt into nothingness. Needless to say, I wasn't successful and moved on to other media.

I've just seen where SpectraFix has come out with a new varnish/painting medium and thought I'd check in here to see if anyone had any information on it. There's an introductory YouTube video about it but really has less than helpful information on how to use and the end result, especially for pastels.

The SpectraFix website has some information but, again, not how to use nor any really specific information for pastellists. You can see what's there at:
https://www.spectrafix.com/product/natural-glass-varnish-and-painting-medium/#tab-additional_information

I was hoping that Della Heywood had been in here to share more about the new product but if anyone has anymore information, please let us all know. I've been a fan of SpectraFix fixative since it first came out and have high hopes of returning to pastels with the advent of the new SpectraFix varnish!

AbA

DAK723
05-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Interesting! Thanks for making me aware of this new product. Hopefully some folks will try it and let us know how well it works!

Don

kedwards
05-08-2019, 11:08 AM
I canít imagine how you could brush it on without dragging the pastel around. Perhaps you could pour it on.

Artist_by_Accident
05-08-2019, 08:13 PM
I canít imagine how you could brush it on without dragging the pastel around. Perhaps you could pour it on.

I'm not sure how it works either which is why I'm searching for more information but I'd think it would need to be sprayed on pastel????

water girl
05-08-2019, 10:32 PM
Did you contact the company? Maybe they can be helpful.

Artist_by_Accident
05-09-2019, 06:35 AM
Did you contact the company? Maybe they can be helpful.

Yes, I did and just got the following reply:

Thanks for your interest in Natural Glass! It is very similar to acrylic in that it is applied with a brush and does have semi gloss surface. However, it could be diluted and sprayed with a sprayer too. It does change the look of the Pastel so it is no longer softly powdery and matte. But unlike acrylic it can be softened and lifted with a wet brush and you can continue to build layers.

Have you tried Spectrafix Degas Fixative? It also renders the Pastel immovable and dries to a very tough matte finish, and changes the look of the Pastel very little. You would not need to frame with glass if you applied two or three coats. Best practice is to spray as you go, and not just at the end, so all the layers are firmly glued to the paper or substrate, and you are not spraying merely a crust of fixative. This will create a very tough work of art which can be varnished or sprayed with Natural Glass later if you should so desire.

Let me know if you have more questions

Della

Hope the response helps anyone else with questions.

Donna T
05-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Very interesting! I am curious to see the results if/when anyone tries this.

Heydella
09-09-2019, 05:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

The Natural Glass Varnish and Medium dries to a semi-glossy finish, depending on the number of coats you apply. If you apply it over pastel, the pastel will need to be fixed first, or it will smear.... which makes an interesting effect, but probably not what you're looking for in most cases.

I'll be creating more videos to showcase how it works, so stay tuned.

The Natural Glass FinalFix is the spray version of this varnish, and dries to a matte finish. I've just put up a new video, so you can see my new products in action. Here's the link:
https://www.spectrafix.com/portfolio/video-demos/

Let me know if you have questions,
Della