View Full Version : What to use for creating fast, large squiggly lines?

05-06-2019, 10:26 PM
Hi all, beginner here.
Letís say I have a 3ft x 3 ft gessoed panel and I want to create black line squiggly circles, spirals all over it. What would you use? Grease pen is all that comes to mind. Letís say we want the line thickness to be roughly 1/8th inch wide. And I would prefer clean lines, not like chalk or crayon, like using ball point pen only wider?

05-06-2019, 10:30 PM
Paint (Molotow) marker maybe?

05-07-2019, 12:12 AM
oil paint is always my choice for professional look. Slow drying gives you time to achieve exactly what I want, and to change it up.

05-07-2019, 08:09 AM
Black Montana marker (acrylic).

05-08-2019, 06:58 PM
I just watched a you tube video from MOMA on painting a Decooning work. The artist shows how to mix the paint and some unusual combinations of paint, color, line and technique. I found it interesting and informative. He used oil paint over charcoal for the underdrawings.

05-08-2019, 10:57 PM
my advice is: know less, just experiment, find out the result, rather than plan

05-09-2019, 02:26 AM

This link is to a work by a good friend, the squiggles done with Montana acrylic markers.

05-09-2019, 07:44 PM
I agree with the others regarding the Montana acrylic markers.

05-09-2019, 09:12 PM
Thanks for posting that link Rick! Your friend's painting is really a Wow using the Montanas. They are good in that they give a broad flat and wide stripe or a very small edge about 1/8" or more.