PDA

View Full Version : in the sea of love

pete1199
05-05-2019, 06:09 PM
9x12 Uart sandpaper. Underpainting done with Nupastels and water. Fininished with hard and soft pastels. My wife thinks I am doing some weird stuff lately. I agree but I really like doing something that makes you stop and think... and maybe take a second look. The inspiration came from a New Yorker podcast about African women dreaming of flying.865654

water girl
05-05-2019, 11:32 PM
Now, that is something to think about. This is is disturbing and intriguing at the same time.

Donna T
05-06-2019, 12:07 PM
This definitely makes me stop and think and look again. Yes, your series is different and that appeals to me even more! It's your own personal reaction to the subject of women flying and no one else can "see" the same way that you do. I admire your ability to paint from your mind like this, Pete. Have you ever tried dissolving your Nu Pastels with alcohol? I experimented for a while with cheap vodka (an art supply!) and liked the results very much. It dries faster than water but not as fast as rubbing alcohol so there are more opportunities to soften edges and push pigment around. UArt stands up to it just fine with no dissolving of the surface.

stapeliad
05-15-2019, 09:35 AM
I think you should keep doing "weird stuff". :)

ColorEnthusiast
05-19-2019, 11:32 AM
Yes maybe weird, but also impressive and mystic.
The combination of subtle colors changes in the dark background and the bright lights are great.

Esther

pete1199
05-19-2019, 08:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement.