PDA

View Full Version : small river

La_
05-04-2019, 10:16 PM
16x20, oils

is the foreground boring or a necessary calm?

thanks

la

graphicali
05-05-2019, 01:05 AM
I think that the foreground is necessary not just for the sense of calm but to give some idea of scale for the small river. It doesn't look so much like a small river in the cropped version.

Bilateral
05-05-2019, 04:36 AM
It seems necessary. Calms the background color, provides scale and gives a sense of whimsy. She is casual, hair lightly blowing, fingers in the water and a small boat navigates the small river. Everything is copacetic. The foreground helps the package work.

birdhs
05-05-2019, 08:56 AM
This such a wonderful idea.
The foreground seems to keep the vibrant and active sky from becoming the focal point
She is just the right size for effect
Overall I love this , not sure what the symbolism implies, but that is good, it makes my mind think of stories..

KreativeK
05-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Thought provoking for sure and agree about the river, that it needs to stay.

theBongolian
05-05-2019, 12:49 PM
Very nice. THe girl is too well rendered not to share more of the center of interest.

IMO
I like the crop, but a little looser., In the cropped version several small boats rather than a single boat would aid the boats reading at the intended scale..
Maybe one of which is closer to her hand to nail the scale relation. There is plenty of atmospherics eliminating some foreground would not diminish that.

OR
don't change anything - its great just as it is as well.

trufflecat
05-05-2019, 02:01 PM
I think the original is just fine the way it is. Very nice in fact.

La_
05-05-2019, 04:27 PM
k, cool, thanks :)
it's an odd thing anyway, a face study from a magazine on an old reject knifed sunset ... how this tiny 'river' might survive on the edge of a cliff i don't know [i just needed something to replace the desk in the reference] perhaps it's a rivulet from a higher lake and there's a waterfall somewhere to her left, to say nothing of the why's of a sailboat ... perhaps a tiny 'picnic' on the beach ...

lol

la
flailing along . . .